Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 08:30
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Thumbs up "You can't outrun a bad diet"

Another "well duh" moment for the nutritionists?
Quote:
"Sugar calories promote fat storage and hunger," the write. "Fat calories induce fullness or satiation." They say food marketers mislead the public with the message that all calories count equally.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-key...run-a-bad-diet/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 08:34

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The authors are Dr. Malhotra, Noakes and Phinney...they should know
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 09:14

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I was just reading an article that quoted from the USDA:

16% of men and 13% of women aged 20-39 eat pizza every day. Everyone else, what's top of their list? Baked goods.

Even I was stunned.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 10:43

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I'm not stunned. The food courts at universities, malls etc. are full of this stuff. A lot of students complain about having no money yet eat there morning, noon and night, while many faculty and staff members bring their own food and drink from home (as do the cost- and health-conscious students). I can't go to a bank machine or bookstore without my nostrils being accosted by the greasy cheap cheese aroma hanging thickly in the air.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 11:41
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Sugar, not laziness, makes us fat: Poor diet responsible for more disease...

You don't say!

Bunch of this stuff on Google new today!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 15:55
Registered Member

Plan: LC/Atkins/Paleo blend
Stats: 218/207/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 19%

From that article:

Quote:
The prevalence of diabetes increases 11-fold for every 150 additional sugar calories consumed daily, compared with the equivalent amount of calories consumed as fat.

The evidence now suggests that carbs are no better.

Recent research indicates that cutting down on dietary carbohydrate is the single most effective approach for reducing all of the features of the metabolic syndrome and should be the primary strategy for treating diabetes, with benefits occurring even in the absence of weight loss.

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com..._campaign=cppst

Well, that sure shakes up the food pyramid and topples it right over.

My personal favorite quote from that article:

Quote:
"Sugar calories promote fat storage and hunger. Fat calories induce fullness or satiation," they contended.

"Let us bust the myth of physical inactivity and obesity. You can't outrun a bad diet," they concluded.

Yes, let's bust that myth and focus on processed foods and added sugars as the real villains.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 21:15

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Apparently all the press is coming from this editorial

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2...015-094911.full

Unfortunately there are a lot of different threads of information contained in this editorial, and it just jumps all over the place. Not a lot of helpful explanation, just harping on Coca-cola and the like. The media seems to be focusing on the "exercise doesn't help" aspect, and ignoring the "sugar and carbs are what make you fat and sick" part. Most are going back to the old "just eat fewer calories" theme.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 05:06

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 288/256/200 Female 176cm
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Exercise doesn't help weight loss, a good diet does...

Interesting article published in the british journal of sports medicine.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 05:34

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

DietDoctor links to the BBC and SkyNews coverage of this editorial, and to his interview with Dr Molhatra.
http://www.dietdoctor.com/big-headl...trun-a-bad-diet
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 05:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
DietDoctor links to the BBC and SkyNews coverage of this editorial, and to his interview with Dr Molhatra.
http://www.dietdoctor.com/big-headl...trun-a-bad-diet

That was great!

Quote:
Obesity and exercise shouldn't be in the same sentence.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 06:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicekitty
Apparently all the press is coming from this editorial

Unfortunately there are a lot of different threads of information contained in this editorial, and it just jumps all over the place. Not a lot of helpful explanation, just harping on Coca-cola and the like. The media seems to be focusing on the "exercise doesn't help" aspect, and ignoring the "sugar and carbs are what make you fat and sick" part. Most are going back to the old "just eat fewer calories" theme.

They aren't very bright. But then, most of them are under orders to not be.

I don't know how we can build a sensible society with corporations strangling our attempts. They have most of the money, they have most of the media outlets, and they also try to control the science.

It's a wonder we have gotten this far. Because, as Nancy LC noted on another thread, people don't want to change their lives... and one headline that says they don't have to will be the one they remember.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 06:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStarlitex
focus on processed foods and added sugars as the real villains.

Why is added sugar the problem? Isn't just sugar the problem? Am I better off drinking a glass of orange juice or cranberry juice with 1tsp of added sugar?
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 08:32
Registered Member

BF:

An orange is a healthy food with vit C and nutrients and fiber. A whole orange is high in carbs coming in at 12 net carbs but it provides nutrients and fiber so the orange is better than sugar which is processed from sugar cane and has zero nutritional value. Oranges might trigger people who are carb sensitive but you could have 1 orange and be under your carb intake for the day even at 20 g carbs a day. One teaspoon of sugar has less calories and no nutrient value. It is an empty food. There is no benefit of eating sugar. None whatsoever. The orange has benefit. And cranberries are healthy as well until you add the sugar. But as for juices, I was not speaking of juices. Juices, I personally believe, are generally a poor choice as they generally have additives and sugar is often among them. So I personally think you are better off having neither of the options you presented but having a whole orange or a handful of cranberries but it also depends for you personally if they are items you are sensitive to. The average person may not be. Most natural foods aren't a problem for most people until they become the bulk of their diet where the diet is high carbs. They've also begun to measure how much sugar is released into the body upon eating the food. I can't for the life of me remember what it's called but some foods are high and others are mid range and others are low. The low are ones that are considered safe and healthy and the high and even moderate ones are a bit riskier. I think it's slow release carbs they are looking at but I can't remember the name of the diet.

While LC is a healthy way to live it's not the only way to live and people can eat more than low carbs as long as they aren't in high carbs and do just fine. Naturally occurring sugar isn't a problem for most people. A cup of papaya or an orange isn't going to be an issue for many but for those who are more sensitive to it or who have weight gain issues it might present an issue. But again, I'm talking whole foods and not juices which are two entirely different things. An orange is a healthy food that happens to be higher in carbs but still it is a healthy food. The juice is a different story.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 10:40
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I'm not stunned. The food courts at universities, malls etc. are full of this stuff. A lot of students complain about having no money yet eat there morning, noon and night, while many faculty and staff members bring their own food and drink from home (as do the cost- and health-conscious students). I can't go to a bank machine or bookstore without my nostrils being accosted by the greasy cheap cheese aroma hanging thickly in the air.

This food usually is pretty cheap compared to healthier options. At least that's how it was when I was on campus. I haven't been there in at least eight years but I have no reason to think it is different now than it was back then. Look through the market and see what a box of pasta or any packaged food is compared to meat and most fresh produce or even a pound of any fruit. If it tastes good and it's cheap and even easy to cook those things will take priority until people realize how unhealthy these things are.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 12:08

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I would probably take the cranberry juice with the teaspoon of sugar. But I'd probably use sucralose or saccharin and end up in a whole different discussion. Plus I probably wouldn't be drinking juice in the first place.

I don't think the fiber really does much, or at least not much in the "fiber as an antidote to sugar," sense, I think I've seen Lustig suggest something along those lines. If you look at the glycemic index of oranges vs orange juice, it's 40 vs 50, apples vs apple juice it's 39 vs 44. I think the structure might have an effect, you can pour juice down your throat and barely taste it, chewing forces you to experience the food. So maybe it is the fiber, but it's the structure it provides, rather than the slight difference the fiber makes to absorption.