Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-17, 18:26

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%
Default Creams for sagging skin?

I'm almost to my goal weight, and in the last couple of weeks my sagging skin has started to become noticeable. I'm not terribly fussed about it. I would rather be thin and if that's what it takes that's what it takes. But I'm curious to find out if any of you have found a skin cream that helps. Maybe an anti-cellulite cream, even though I don't have cellulite? Or a moisturizer? I've looked at Amazon, but most of the reviews people are talking about cellulite which isn't really my problem. But maybe some of those creams could help. Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-17, 05:24

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Congrats!

Actually, a technique called "dry brushing" seems to work the best.

http://www.theencouraginghome.com/e...-skin-brushing/
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-17, 05:34

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Ditto on that Dry Brushing. In fact, it was reconfirmed at this past Tuesday's local support group by a Medical Aesthetician from the Integrative Health Institute. She added an interesting comment; there is far less excess and loose skin with those patients who lose weight by Dr. Westman's Low Carb plan, than with those from Bariatric Surgery (which is basically severe calorie restriction).

Here is an old thread about it, with her oil/cream suggestions also:
See my post #14: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=451984

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Apr-12-17 at 05:40.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-17, 07:00

BF:

Thanks so much! And yes, the skin sag from this diet isn't awful.... But every once in a while, from certain angles, it catches my attention.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-17, 07:30
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Resistance training (weight lifting) is supposed to help. Time is supposed to help, too. They say it can take up to 2 years for your skin to recover as much as it is going to. I am an extreme case, losing well over 200 pounds. I have loose skin. It would be nice if I didn't, but frankly I expected it to be worse. I'd rather be thin and deal with the skin than the alternative.

I've been at or near the same weight for almost a year. I do think it is slowly improving. Weight lifting helped my 'bat wings' some under my arms. The ripples under by butt and inner thighs are clearly firming up - perhaps from building up my leg muscles by jogging. My belly flap and love handles still have some fat in them. If I lose a few more pounds I would expect that area to get a little better. I'm working on it.

I took some photos of my problem areas last July. I plan on taking the same photos again this July. I'm hoping that it shows some improvement.

P.S. I have done some dry brushing. There is no way to know if it is working or not. But I haven't been doing it lately. Perhaps I should get back into it. It couldn't hurt.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-17, 08:45

BF:

Khrussva... All that makes sense. I've had to have an unrelated surgery, so I can't exercise for a few weeks, but as soon as I'm recovered, I plan to. Saggy skin is a small problem to have, but if there's anything I can do to fix it I will, and I'll share the results here.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-17, 13:04
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 260/240/142 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Oh, happy congrats to you all!

This topic is one close to my heart.... well my thighs to tell the truth. And last night I asked my DH if I was getting Vampire Butt (we got a dvd from netflix that wasn't on our list - it was a teenager spoof of the romantic vampire movies. Seems that becoming a vampire halts the aging process of the immortal body... all except the tush. It was very funny to see the gorgeous young bodies turn and display saggy, wrinkly fannies)

But much more seriously, the 30-something friend of my daughter has just undergone major surgery - a tummy tuck and breast lift. She'd lost 125 pounds over two years and worked out like a demon all the while, plus the two years since reaching her goal. I was shocked when she said she was going to do it; shocked that at her age it was necessary. I guess I've been laboring under the belief that my sags and wrinkles were all about my age. My DD is fighting her weight as well, and I've just believed that her skin would tighten right up for her. Sigh, always dreaming the best for my baby.

I'm happy for her friend that she has been able to do what she felt necessary for her body-image. I haven't seen her since her surgery at the end of March, but my daughter says she's doing well.

Thank you for the link to the Body Brushing site... it looks very interesting!

Last edited by Hedgey : Mon, Apr-17-17 at 13:22. Reason: Edited to add....
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-17, 13:28
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

As I've said before on the forum, I've lost the same pounds over and over again in this life But I haven't lost to this low a weight since I was 30 years old. At 72 it is really different, and it's ugly. Everything is crepey.
Quote:
crepey (comparative more crepey, superlative most crepey) (of skin) Saggy and crinkly, like crepe paper.

I exercise, but I believe this is just going to be. Maybe after a year or so the sag will go away, but I doubt it. Some things just ARE.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-17, 17:27
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I use a Jergen's skin firmer. It works for mild sagging. On the down side it has a chemical smell that makes me feel its not healthy. I bought it at Target in the lotion aisle.

Congrats on the weight loss!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 19:58

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by andante
I'm almost to my goal weight, and in the last couple of weeks my sagging skin has started to become noticeable. I'm not terribly fussed about it. I would rather be thin and if that's what it takes that's what it takes. But I'm curious to find out if any of you have found a skin cream that helps. Maybe an anti-cellulite cream, even though I don't have cellulite? Or a moisturizer? I've looked at Amazon, but most of the reviews people are talking about cellulite which isn't really my problem. But maybe some of those creams could help. Thanks for any info.

Hi. I'm new to this low carb diet but I did find a possible solution, not sure if it will work but it's something I'm trying:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=478011
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-18, 04:09

This success story may be controversial, but it doesn't really belong in the Diabetes Dr. Fung thread or War Zone. The comments about Loose Skin and Protein being catabolized or recycled are worth discussion, and the before and after photos of a 200 pound weight loss, nothing short of amazing. https://www.dietdoctor.com/with-one...nd-lost-200-lbs
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-18, 05:21

Plan: Keto
Stats: 232.8/190/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 63%

#13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-18, 06:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
This success story may be controversial, but it doesn't really belong in the Diabetes Dr. Fung thread or War Zone. The comments about Loose Skin and Protein being catabolized or recycled are worth discussion, and the before and after photos of a 200 pound weight loss, nothing short of amazing. https://www.dietdoctor.com/with-one...nd-lost-200-lbs

Thanks - this is is a very inspiring story!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-18, 14:53

Plan: Keto
Stats: 232.8/190/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

I have begun fasting 2 days a week. I started it to break a 2 month stall. I have dropped 13 lbs in the last 3 weeks. I have never thought of a longer fast. Very inspiring story. I figured that loose skin was a foregone conclusion.

Last edited by Dazed1 : Mon, Oct-29-18 at 15:00.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-18, 02:49

This forum does not support fasting longer than a day, but there is a thread in Diabetes about Dr Fung's various protocols. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=472377
Dr Steven Phinney is strongly opposed to fasting longer than 48 hours due to that protein depletion, Dr Fung is an outlier seeing this protein use as a "good thing" The Obesity Code is a terrific book to learn more and the Obesity Code Facebook page provides detailed information in the Files tab and moderator support for fasting.