Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 07:25

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%
Unhappy How long does it take to train your spouse?

I have to say, he hadn't really said anything all week. Well, it's coming up on two weeks. This morning we're talking about a friend of mine who is 300+. He says you just need to up your activities and reduce your calories. I reminded him I have done that. He says well, how is eating cherry pie last night reducing your calories? I said I explained to you about my diet, but apparently you didn't listen. Then he says Yeah, yeah I know, the reward meal. When I was doing Atkins, he felt all the fat I was eating was unhealthy. He didn't like the smell of mashed cauliflower. I think the only thing he'd be happy to see me eat is a small salad! I know, what I need to do is ignore it, stick with the diet and just remember my goal. He doesn't seem to think people's bodies react differently to things even though his brother is diabetic. He blames that on the fact that they (brother and mom) used to sit in the evenings and eat these cream filled horn shaped pastries, I guess you'd call them. He sounds like the guy on the warzone. gymee something or other. I tried to tell him, I truly tried it for two months. I walked for 45min, I exercised with weights for 45 min. But, I ate the cereal he recommended, etc. I lost not one pound. Not one. Very frustrating.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 11:36

Plan: CAD
Stats: 146/146/120 Female 5"1
BF:
Progress: 0%

Teresa,

My husband used to basically make fun of low-carb (five years worth of smiling and shaking his head at me), until six weeks ago he complained about the fact that he needed to shove off a few pounds, and I suggested CAD. Well, to date he's lost 15 pounds, feels great, loves this way of eating, and I doubt he'll ever do things differently again. Funny, huh??!!

But back to when he DIDN'T believe in low-carbing...I just made it clear to him that I would do MY thing and he could do HIS thing, and that no criticism was allowed. Being criticized didn't help me, only frustrated me and made me want to eat more, and if he didn't want his wife to be heavy, he needed to be quiet. I just shook off my need for his approval since he couldn't understand that some people truly have a problem with carb addiction. It does make me feel so validated now to have him say that he finally understands what I was talking about then. He's 100% supportive now.

Here's wishing your hubbie will do an about-face when he sees how healthy and happy you are. In the meantime, you keep your nose to the grindstone and do what's right for YOU.

Love, Shelby
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 12:20
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

...other than a rolled-up newspaper applied to the nose vigorously....what Shelby said!

My husband used to "support" me by oinking when he saw me eating something he thought I shouldn't have.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 13:47

Cool

Thanks guys. I like the newspaper idea, Potatoefree. Hopefully, WHEN I am successful at this, he'll shut up. Making "oink" noises? I guess he thought it was funny? I'd have been livid! As I'm sure you were. I'm glad you're showing him!

Shelby: FIVE years!? I have to wait five YEARS!?! LOL Hey, better late than never. And they do say there is no teacher like experience. I think that's the issue here. If he wants to lose weight, he can just quit eating McDonald's breakfast, Checker's lunch and just eat dinner. Sure, he'll lose. I wish it were that clearcut for us. But, he is getting older (43) and he has gained some himself. Time will tell. And even though I've only been on this about two weeks, I've lost about two pounds. It's not a lot, but it's a heck of a lot better than gaining two pounds. I don't care if it stays at one pound a week, as long as it's going!!

Last edited by 2bthinner! : Sat, Nov-29-03 at 13:50.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 17:42
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Actually, after I divorced him (the oinking was the LEAST of his transgressions!) He was killed in an accident almost 2 years later. However his FAMILY is eating their words about me dying from obesity....they were more refined than to "oink" but might as well have...

You just keep on doing what you're doing, he'll eat his words soon enough...
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 06:34

Plan: Carbohydrate Addict
Stats: 225/165/155 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 86%

There are a lot of "chubby" people who have dieted and failed that would like nothing more than to see other people fail too.

Surround yourself with people who have succeeded (like the good folks here) and although it may be hard at times, don't give up on something you believe in.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 07:21

Unhappy

Oh, Potatofree, that's still got to be hard. My neighbor across the street divorced her H because she said he was drinking himself to death. And she couldn't stand to watch anymore. She said he refused to go to any counseling, refused to even believe he had a problem. He did die this past year and it was still hard. I guess because he chose not to live the life he could have, and she lost someone she loved. And he's the one did it.

Nifty50, He DOES want me to succeed, it's just that he wants me to do it the way HE thinks it should work. And it DOES work for him, but we are worlds apart in what we eat. I don't eat McDonald's breakfast, Checkers lunch, etc... I'd surely be 300+ like my aunt if I did. I did need to increase my activity as I have a desk job. But, it's been increased for about two months now. I wasn't losing anymore on Atkins, but I think it's like the CAD book says, I get too big an insulin spike eating little meals all day. I've lost 2.4 pounds in two weeks. I only lost on Atkins while on induction, and H didn't like what I was eating on induction. Well, he'll have to like it or lump it with CAD as I'm seeing MOVEMENT on my scale... I'll bet once he SEES a difference, he won't be complaining about what I'm eating.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 09:05

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 188/185/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 6%

My 2 cents here - I have been dieting forever, usually with little success. My beloved and I do not discuss it. He is the type who can skip second helpings of dessert and drop a few pounds whenever he wants, so he really doesn't understand what the deal is with me. However, he says he loves me just the way I am. He wants me to be healthy, but to understand that my weight is not a big issue in the relationship. He is just not interested in the latest tweak I want to try, or my new hopes and dreams for the new diet. I don't want him questioning anything I eat - whether on-plan or off. I do go just a little out of my way to make sure that he has a meal that he's happy with (whatever I'm eating + toast), but this is much easier on CALP. We discuss topics that are interesting to both of us, which makes for a much more satisfying meal.