Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 23:43

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%
Default I'm sad

Last summer I noticed that my dd age 13 at the time had dark areas in her armpits (acanthosis negricans). I pointed it out to her pediatrician who sort of ignored me. In Nov. we saw the pediatrician again. I asked about it yet again and pushed for a referral to my endocrinologist (I have PCOS). DD, who is now 14, saw endo today. Yes, mom made a correct diagnosis. We had a bunch of labs drawn and now we await the results, but she probably has insulin resistance, and may also have elevated blood lipids. I just hate to see that DD inherited that trait from me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-06, 13:04

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Yes, but it's good that you recognized it and no how to deal with it.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-06, 10:25

Plan: combo of SBD and Low GI
Stats: 225/225/125 Female 5"1
BF:
Progress: 0%

Absolutely, I agree with the previous poster.

Thank goodness you were able to advocate for your daughter and catch this early on...as many of us know, symptoms of PCOS are often ignored by MD's. At least you were able to get her correctly diagnosed sooner rather than later.

I often fear the same thing. I haven't even tried to get pregnant yet, but I've always had thoughts of dread at the possibility I could some day have a daughter who inherits the this from me. But at least l'd know what to look for and be able to get treatment early on for any potential child I might have someday.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-06, 12:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 271/251/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 15%

Maybe someone can help me with a similar problem. My dd is going to be 15 in a couple of weeks. Her armpits are very dark and she has a dark ring around the back of her neck and between her breasts (acanthosis negricans). Her pediatrician checked her fasting insulin and it was low. Does anybody know if this could be the start of PCOS or type 1 diabetes. I have checked her glucose and the doctor has too but it is always around 100 or 110. Is her body somehow compensating now for the low insulin but later it will really give her problems? She is 5' 4" and weighs 150 pounds. Should she see an endocrinologist or what other reason could there be for having the dark patches?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-06, 14:25
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

She is most likely insulin resistant. Or she might have hyperinsulimia, which is the release of too much insulin--that would account for her low fasting insulin levels.

The best supplements to deal with either of the above conditions are GTF chromium, gymnema sylvestre, vitamin D, calcium, and magnesium, as well as a good quality multivitamin (2 per dose). These supplements are also good for PCOS.

PCOS has been linked to vitamin D deficiency and can be comprised of multiple conditions:
Genetic predisposition.
Insulin resistance or hyperinsulinism (high blood levels of insulin).
Obesity.
Hyperandrogenism (excessive production of male hormones).
Abnormality of the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis (organ/hormonal disorder).
Environmental chemical pollution (hormonal disruptors)
Food adulterantion (excitatory amino acids, for example)
Chronic inflammation

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Thu, Mar-09-06 at 14:34.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-06, 17:44
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
PCOS has been linked to vitamin D deficiency and can be comprised of multiple conditions:
Genetic predisposition.
Insulin resistance or hyperinsulinism (high blood levels of insulin).
Obesity.
Hyperandrogenism (excessive production of male hormones).
Abnormality of the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis (organ/hormonal disorder).
Environmental chemical pollution (hormonal disruptors)
Food adulterantion (excitatory amino acids, for example)
Chronic inflammation

I don't understand. Why would she have hyperinsulinism if her insulin level was too low. I have PCOS but my insulin was really high until I started doing low carb. Should she get her insulin level tested at a different time of the day to see if it is too high?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-10-06, 06:49
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mereja
I don't understand. Why would she have hyperinsulinism if her insulin level was too low. I have PCOS but my insulin was really high until I started doing low carb. Should she get her insulin level tested at a different time of the day to see if it is too high?
If her insulin is low she has insulin resistance not hyperinsulemia. My mistake, sorry. In any case the treatment is the same as the problem is damaged insulin function.

Low insulin does not preclude a prediabetic condition in children as they often do not have burned out beta cells (these produce insulin) as do adults. In the case of children acanthosis nigricans is a definite sign of insulin resistance.

A lot of doctors are still ignorant of insulin resistance in children.

This is an excellent article though a little technicalL
http://www.tmj.ro/cme_articles7.html

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Fri, Mar-10-06 at 07:04.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-10-06, 07:02

Plan: lc
Stats: 350/327/190 Female 5 ft 8in
BF:
Progress: 14%

Was just leaving and this post caught my eye...Pardon, but i did not read every word , but have a good general idea of the topic and dialouge...didnt see thyroid all phases tested!!! good start, i totally agree with Zule, in addition docs are always looking for skin tags with hyerinsulemia/pcos and dis coloration Another place the body like to show signs is the back of the neck where it meets across the center of the shoulders>>>>Big Tell Tale place of messages about metabolism!!!!!
just thought i would chime in
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-10-06, 07:37

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 258.5/244.5/180 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

I just wanted to say that I also have acanthosis nigricans (in my groin area) and I have had the glucose tolerance test and insulin tolerance test and it has come out normal. my fasting insuling was like 1 point too high, but nothing major. and after the three hours, it was back to normal.

i was told that acanthosis nigricans was a marking to have future autoimmune problems when i went to the doctor about it. now that was from my 'stupid doctor' so i dont know if its right.

what is right is to just start your dd eating healthy, which is, as most people are coming to realize is low carb, whole food, focusing on real meats and veggies. not a bad way to go.

glad you caught it so young, though, if it is indeed pcos.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 13:55
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for all your help.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-06, 15:49
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 300/195/140 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromom
Last summer I noticed that my dd age 13 at the time had dark areas in her armpits (acanthosis negricans). I pointed it out to her pediatrician who sort of ignored me. In Nov. we saw the pediatrician again. I asked about it yet again and pushed for a referral to my endocrinologist (I have PCOS). DD, who is now 14, saw endo today. Yes, mom made a correct diagnosis. We had a bunch of labs drawn and now we await the results, but she probably has insulin resistance, and may also have elevated blood lipids. I just hate to see that DD inherited that trait from me.

I inherited PCOS from my mother, but I don't hold it against her.

Good for you, for seeing the symptoms early. I started having symptoms around your daughter's age, but didn't get diagnosed until I was 23.

Knowledge is power. Your knowing PCOS will help her out immensly. Don't beat yourself up over passing PCOS on to her. I'm sure she loves you and wouldn't trade you for any other mum.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-08, 21:28

Plan: nutrisystem
Stats: 160/160/140 Female 5'8.5
BF:
Progress:

I have acanthosis nigricans i'm 21 it started at 17 just like that!! i had tons of lab works, i saw;dermatologists, physicians... they say i'm clean (no diabetes, no insulin issue nothing AT ALL)and they cannot do something for me. i'm not and i've never been overweight. sad but true it's strange but i can't think of someone in my family who has it.