Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 13:39

Plan: CKD
Stats: 122/118/113
BF:16.6
Progress: 44%
Default Central IL.

Is anyone in the center of hell with me? I'm interested in finding someone to chat about food and exercise.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 14:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/164/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hi Heather!

I live in Washington State now, but lived for several years in Bloomington. (My husband worked for, you guessed it, State Farm). It's been about 7 years since we've been back there; most of our friends have moved away as well. Went to grad school in Urbana-Champaign and moved to Bloomington after my husband graduated. It was very small town when we lived there; I wonder how much things have changed since.

Pam
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 12:02

Plan: My Own
Stats: 248.5/228.4/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hi heather_c, I live in Central Illinois also. I work at the University of Illinois. I do not consider it the center of hell though.

I live in a very rural area and love it. I am about 30 minutes from work. I have been doing Dr. Atkins since Oct 15, 2002 and have lost 51 pounds and a previous 10 pounds makes 61 total. I love this wol.

I hope you have success with the program also.

Windy

Last edited by windy : Wed, Apr-16-03 at 12:05.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 20:11
Registered Member

Stats: 235/225/190
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi all. I have lived in the Champaign-Urbana area all my life except for 3 rather fuzzy years spent at ISU in Normal. I don't consider it the center of hell either and if I am to believe the water tower here in town then I live in "the center of the universe" Philo, IL. I have really just started LCing but would enjoy talking to you all. Windy, one of my housekeepers left to work at the U of I in the Varsity room. Ya'll got a good one with her. Catch you all later.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 13:40

Hi Mirimba. Yep, I'm working at "the Farm" now too. That's what brought me here. I'm originally from Pa. I miss the trees and hills! I guess I'm just still not adjusted.

Sorry if I offended you Windy or Kirk. I'm just still not adjusted to this rather flat and windy state.

As for LCing. I'm having some really great results as well. I did a higher carb (around 130 a day) for five weeks, but paid strict attention to whether or not they were high or low glycemic (high in the morning and after working out). I lost a few pounds in 4 weeks. Now I'm doing about 30 carbs a day. I've lost about 2 lbs. in a week and a half. I have never been able to wear a bikini and I'm so determined to do it this year! I've been working out and lifting weights for about 5 months and needed the diet to get those extra pounds of fat off. Some days it's so rewarding and some days I wonder why I bother. Today I'm feeling pretty good about it, but boy would I like some chocolate!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 20:00
Registered Member

BF:

Hey Heather, you didn't ofend me. When summer kicks in full swing I'll probably agree with you then. high temps, high humidity and huge skeeters. But the falls are incredible and Indiana (just 45 min from here) has some great colors. If you want some chocolate you might check out the recipes for sweets and try the chocolate pudding, cream and creme cheese recipe. My brother in law swears by it. I haven't had a chance to make it but it sounds REALLY good. I have really just started and am trying to stay as low carb as possible. I was in Osco today and noticed that CARBLITE makes a chocaolate bar but I don't know much about it. Good luck.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 21:26

Stats: 194/164/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

Well, Heather, I guess I have to admit to you that Bloomington wasn't my dream city to live in. There really weren't a whole lot of fun things to do there. We toured the Nestle Beich company once, but that was probably the highlight!

State Farm has that pool at least, that was pretty nice to have with the kids and they also have a nice fair each year that my daughter loved. (I don't know if you have any kids, but if you do, I highly recommend the State Farm fair).

My friend from Peoria called it the "armpit of the midwest."

Urbana-Champaign was different - I liked living there, but then again, I was in school at the time so life was totally different.

Oops, gotta run - daughter needs the computer.
Pam
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 08:28

Kirk, thanks for the recipe idea. That does sound REALLY good! I ended up having a Pure Delite candy bar last night. It was pretty darn good. I'm going to have to get more of them.

Pam, I have a daughter (she's a year and half old). We practically lived at the State Farm kiddie pool last summer. She loves the water. Another reason I need to get in shape. I spend a lot of time in a swimsuit! I've lot at least a pound this week, but didn't make it to the gym last night. I had NO motivation. Shame on me! Oh well, back on track today.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 13:38

BF:

Cptkirk, sorry you lost one of your housekeepers. I am at the Illini Union and had nothing to do with taking her. I am glad she got on here at the university. Do you manage a hotel or was it a personal housekeeper?

I agree with you when the summers get hot and humid.

No offensse taken here either heather. There are plenty of things here for us, but we are older and love to camp and the campgrounds around here are pretty nice.

You all have a good day,

Windy
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 19:56
Registered Member

BF:

Actually I was glad that she got on at the U of I. I always like to see anyone get ahead but she was one of those people that come in and work hard and don't cause any problems. Had only missed 2 days in a 1 1/2 years. It's hard to find people with a good work ethic these days. Actually I work in Environmental Services at Champaign County Nursing Home. I've worked at the county for 20 years. My DW has worked that the nursing home for 26. You say that you live about 30 mins from work. Where are you from? I grew up in Seymour ???? and then moved to Philo. It's kinda nice talking to someone from the same area.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 10:48

BF:

Hello cptkirk, I live in the big town of Ivesdale. Have lived there for 29 years now. I was born in Shelbyville, moved to Bement when I was 5. My husband and I moved to Ivesdale in 1974, raised two sons there.

My husband worked here at the university too until his retirement Dec. 2001. I have 2 years and 8 months and I will be retiring I sure hope.

We like to camp, fish and spend time with family. We have for the first time in years, putting out a garden. Have potatoes and onions out now and hope to after the first of May put out tomatoes, green beans, radishes, pea pods, peppers and bush cucumbers.

Is your wife still there with you or has she retired? I will be 57 when I get to retire and then we plan on traveling. DH was 57 when he retired also.

Nice chatting with you cptkirk, have a nice day.

Windy
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 15:57
Registered Member

Plan: Healthpointe Lean for Life
Stats: 193/165.5/128 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Well hey there!

Nice to know there are some friends around...I am in Springfield, about an hour from Bloomington/hour and a half from Champ-bana. I have a lot of friends in both towns, so I travel there often!

I've been ok with the weight loss... Great results in the first month, then I kinda de-motivated for my second month and maintained the loss. This month I'm ready to roll though! My roomie and I are working on it together and hopefully we'll lose bunches of weight. I've got 47 to go...

Best of luck everyone! Enjoy this gorgeous weather while it lasts; in a few months we'll all be panting and dying of heat when we go out to jog or run...
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 20:55
Registered Member

BF:

welcome Joliefleur, Looks like you have done really well. Springfields a great town but the drive is kinda boring. Actually that is one of the drawbacks to central IL not much to see on drives except for the guns save life.com signs. LOL

Windy, you are just a hop, skip and jump away. I have a cousin (Nichols) that lives in Ivesdale. So have you been to the Outer Banks and if so how was it? My dad retired from the U of I about 10 yeas ago. He was the "Blind man" out at Orchard Downs. No my wife has not retired yet but she would be happy to . She's 46 and I'm 41 but don't tell her I told. It's kinda nice working at the same place but it seems we talk about work at home to often, gotta learn to leave that crap at work.

We are putting out a garden as well and need to decide whats going in. Do you know much about the Sadorous sportman club? I've been thinking about joining out there to fish and shoot but don't know much about it. Have a good one! Talk to you later.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 22:12

Stats: 210/150/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 92%
Smile

Hey there! I live in Bloomington too! I am originally from Chicago-Went to ISU and graduated and kind of got stuck here
I work at rival company-Country Companies

Last edited by Angel66668 : Tue, Apr-22-03 at 22:13.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 19:46
Registered Member

BF:

hey Angel66668,
I went to ISU as well. Lived in Manchester. 5th floor. I was there in the late 70's and the power transformers went out in Waterson Towers. We had people sleeping on the floor in our lounges for a week. The worse thing was no power, no elevater and if your books etc were still in your room you had to hoof it to get your stuff. How many floors did it have? Now thats an excercise program. Unfortunately I joined a frat and majored it party 101 LOL