Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 07:39

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 244/202/160 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Looking for Northern Virginia Low Carbers

Hello!

Would like to share tips, local shopping suggestions, etc.

Thanks! barefootgrrrl
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 10:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/146/140
BF:No Clue
Progress: 60%
Default Northern VA (Vienna to be exact)

I am starting my forth week of LC. Don't have a wealth of info on it yet but I'd like to share shopping tips in particular and whatever else I can.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 21:23

Stats: 181/156/150
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hey, I am from Northern VA and would love to chat LCing with ya! Have been on the program since July 7th.

Karin
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 10:51
Registered Member

Does July 7th make you a senior member? Looks like you are doing great by your numbers. I have been on Atkins since 8/5.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 14:19

BF:

Hey Magie,
Looks like you are doing great too! As for the senior member, you get that after you post 100 messages on the boards. Took me a while to figure it out.

Karin
In Manassas (not too far from you)
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 15:04
Registered Member

OK so what is the chicken leg symbol?

Yes you are close.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 23:04

BF:

Hey! I'm down 11 lbs so far.......keep up the good work!

I am in Fairfax........ where do you shop?

I still get meat, veggies, salad stuff at Giant........but have to order other ingredients online since I cannot locate a store around here that sells very many LC items.

There is one healthfood store at Worldgate Shopping Center in Herndon that caters to the weightlifting crowd and they have some stuff.....flaxseeds, macadamia oil, Keto products......

Nice to meet you both!

Terry
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 03:55

BF:

Good morning ladies!
Maggie, click on your chicken bone and you will see these also have to do with how many times you have posted to the board.

Terry: 11 pounds down, super!!! I do all my shopping at regular grocery stores and we have a Healthway healthfood (in the Bull Run Plasa off of 234) store here in town that has a small isle of LC stuff, even pasta and bread. Look for the bread in the frozen section in the back. I also noticed that the 7-11's now have slenda for your coffee!

Have a great day!
Karin
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 09:18
Registered Member

Good morning to both of you.

Karin I don't have a chicken leg, I have an egg. Probably the same deal though I guess and in this case the egg comes before the chicken.

I shop at Giant but I am thinking about other options. I stopped at Fresh Fields for something and looked around there and didn't find much. I have to go back with out my child next time.

I guess I shop at Walmart too since I bought LC bars there. I don't plan to buy those anymore though. I may get the shake mix at some point depending on the carbs. I think those things are all too high to fit into my WOE.

I just buy regular stuff. What do you guys buy? LC products or regular food?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 09:21
Registered Member

Default LC Bread?

Hey ladies I have one more question. I haven't seen the LC bread yet. How many carbs does it have and are you using it successfully in your plan? Oh yeah, and does it taste good? OK, so it was more than one more question.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 12:42

BF:

I buy regular foods. It's cheaper !! I did buy the bread not too long ago at Healthway, can't remember the brand, think it was Toms. It tastes okay, the slices are very thin and small. But, if you really need a slice of bread it does the trick. It's only 2 digestable carbs. I put the loaf in the freezer and then just take out what I need. It's expensive, 6 bucks a loaf! I won't be buying anymore though, I find eating bread makes me crave stuff again and want to over eat.

I also stay away from the bars and shakes. I'd rather eat real food and doing those would make me feel like I am really dieting and may set me up for failure later, like bingeing etc.

These last two days have been difficult for me as I just want to eat and eat!! Guess it's the stress of back to school and starting a new school system. I think I was more worried than my kids starting a new school!

Have you tried Trader Joe's? Wonder if they have any good LC products? I know what you mean about shopping with the kids. They don't have the patience for you to read all the labels.

Karin
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 13:39

BF:

hey again!

wow! 6 bucks....ouch......... I am getting tired of eating tuna salad on lettuce though....... LOL

The only thing I found at Trader Joes was the protein powder - it was cheaper than the other places such as Vitamin Shoppe, etc.

Oh and another good thing about Trader Joes.........to keep from getting bored, I try to find little things that aren't too expensive......TJS sells olive spreads and good cheese - I like them, of course, on bread which I don't eat ........so I end up eating off the plate

I make my own protein bars using a recipe I found on this site......cheaper and tastier than the ones from the store.

I bought a bunch of stuff online just to get me started and to help with recipes: gum thickeners for the shakes, LC ketchup, etc.

The LC stuff is expensive, so I just try to buy the ingredients that don't get used very often.....condiments, cooking ingredients, etc.

How many carbs per day do you eat?

Thanks !
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 17:46

BF:

Hey Terry,
Yeah, I know 6 bucks for bread is awful!! But it has lasted me a long time. I just eat a slice every now and then.

Oh, we have a new grocery store here called Global Market. It's an Asian/Hispanic Market. They have a super seafood section and you can get huge shrimp for $4.89 a pound. I go there quite a bit to get the shrimp. They have all kinds of fish too if you like seafood. Their veggie isle is super too. If you ever get to Manassas you should definately check it out.

Had to laugh about the tuna on lettuce. I too eat that quite a bit and am tiring of it. Sometimes I use salmon instead of the tuna for a little taste change. It's hard for me to think of things to take to work for lunch. We rarely have left overs so I always have to plan ahead and sometimes I am just to lazy to do it.

If you like celery some of those spreads go quite well with that.

I try to keep my carbs around 20-25 for now. How about you?

Karin
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 21:28

BF:

Hey Karin...........

thanks for the info! I really appreciate it!!

I am in the part of Fairfax that borders Centreville........when the traffic's not toooo bad.........I can scoot down 28 to Manassas Park and then over to 234..........is that store off 234 or 28?

ok, I have some portable lunch tricks I use. I'll post those tomorrow, I'm falling asleep over here LOL

Just had to tell you thought that we ate out tonight - at FuddRuckers........ bunless burgers and they have a free condiment bar.........you can pile a burger with lots of shredded lettuce, hot sauce, dill pickles, mustard.........

More Later - Bye ! Terry
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 04:28

BF:

Good Morning Terry,
The Global Market is in the Festival Lane shopping center on 234. It use to be Super Fresh. If you come from 28 to 234, it's the shopping center right after Manassas Mall on your right. You can't beat their shrimp prices, you would pay double that at Giant. Leftover shrimp in omlettes in the morning is super!

Would love some of your lunch ideas!

It's 6:30 AM and time to get everyone up to start their day. Will check back in later.

See ya!
Karin