Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 11:47

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Chocolate...it's older than you think

Heard a report this weekend that chocolate residue has been found in prehistoric sites.

Does this mean the Paleo people will have to rethink?

(Please take this in the spirit in which it's intended. I'm sure our primitive forefathers ate chocolate, as they ate honey, in moderation, and with those 10-mile a day walks, not to mention all that hunting, it probably did them no harm.)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 15:26

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Actually, I doubt they did eat chocolate since it has to be mixed with some sweetening to taste good.

But I am sure the cocoa plant has been around for a long time.

;-Deb
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 15:55

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally posted by DebPenny
Actually, I doubt they did eat chocolate since it has to be mixed with some sweetening to taste good.

But I am sure the cocoa plant has been around for a long time.

;-Deb

And....given it's dark color, I'm sure it made for a pretty good "paint" when ground and mixed with water. Maybe they were painting with it instead of eating it? Hmmm....I never thought of tasting cave paintings before.....
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 15:57

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

New Headline:

Carb Addict Eats Cave Paintings
Millions of Years of Art Destroyed in One Gulp

Deb, if they knew about honey, I think it's possible some enterprising Primochef was mixing it with other things I gathered from the news report it had been mixed with something -- it was "chocolate" not cacao. But I don't know if the discoverers got to sample it

Last edited by alto : Wed, Oct-16-02 at 20:42.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 05:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Remember, they weren't like our society where everything had to taste sweet to be considered good. The consumption of sugar was only a small percentage of what it is now even as recently as 100 years ago. They may have liked the bitter taste!

Carol
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 09:51
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't think it's too off base alto. It was probably cocoa beans that were found. Maybe they were roasted, maybe not.

You can buy whole roasted beans. They are really intense in flavour. Also, ground beans are available that you can make a drink out of that is very much like unsweetened chocolate espresso. The cracked beans - called nibs - are good in desserts, even LC desserts!

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 10:42

BF:

Karen....that makes a lot of sense. The Incas made a drink from chocolate that was largely unsweetened. Doesn't sound too good to me, but apparently they liked it.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 11:52
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Doesn't sound too good to me, but apparently they liked it.

The scent is really intoxicating. kind of like uber-chocolate.

You make it in a coffee press, but first you heat the pulverized beans in a little water to release the flavour. Then you pour boiling water over it and press it.

If you like espresso, you'll like it.

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 16:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 325/243/150
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default I love chocolate

I'm willing to bet paleo man/woman ate chocolate. I love the idea of the Inca chocolate. Has anyone ever had chicken mole in a Mexican restaurant (or in Mexico): mole is chocolate sauce with no sweetener.

I first had chicken mole in a restaurant in Oaxaca Mexico thirty years ago: I was so surprised when told the yummy sauce was chocolate.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 17:59
Forum Founder

BF:

There is very little chocolate in mole sauce. I would say about 1% of the sauce is chocolate. It's primarily composed of different chiles, pumpkin seeds, dry bread...

But, it is romantic to think of it as a chocolate sauce, which is how I think of it.

Here is some info from an interesting chocolate site which explains why chocolate is so captivating to us mortals.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chocolate is a psychoactive food. It is made from the seeds of the tropical cacao tree, Theobroma cacao. The cacao tree was named by the 17th century Swedish naturalist, Linnaeus. The Greek term theobroma means literally "food of the gods". Chocolate has also been called the food of the devil; but the theological basis of this claim is obscure.

Cacao beans were used by the Aztecs to prepare to a hot, frothy beverage with stimulant and restorative properties. Chocolate itself was reserved for warriors, nobility and priests. The Aztecs esteemed its reputed ability to confer wisdom and vitality. Taken fermented as a drink, chocolate was also used in religious ceremonies. The sacred concoction was associated with Xochiquetzal, the goddess of fertility. Emperor Montezuma allegedly drank 50 goblets a day. Aztec taxation was levied in cacao beans. 100 cacao beans could buy a slave. 12 cacao beans bought the services of courtesan.

The celebrated Italian libertine Giacomo Casanova (1725-1798) took chocolate before bedding his conquests. This was on account of chocolate's reputation as a subtle aphrodisiac. More recently, a study of 8000 male Harvard graduates showed that chocaholics lived longer than abstainers. This may be explained by the high polyphenol levels in chocolate. Polyphenols reduce the oxidation of low-density lipoproteins and thereby protect against heart disease. Such theories are still speculative.

Chocolate as we know it today dates to the inspired addition of triglyceride cocoa butter by Rodolphe Lindt in 1879. The advantage of cocoa butter is that its addition to chocolate sets a bar so that it will readily snap and then melt on the tongue. Cocoa butter begins to soften at around 75 F; it melts at around 97 F.

Today, chocolate is legal, unscheduled and readily available over the counter. Some 50% of women reportedly claim to prefer chocolate to sex, though this response may depend on the attributes of the interviewer. More than 300 different constituent compounds in chocolate have been identified. Chocolate clearly delivers far more than a brief sugar high. Yet its cocktail of psychochemical effects in the central nervous system are poorly understood. So how does it work?

CHOCOLATE
The Psychoactive Cocktail
Chocolate contains small quantities of anandamide, an endogenous cannabinoid found in the brain. Sceptics claim one would need to consume several pounds of chocolate to gain any very noticeable effects; and eat a lot more to get fully stoned. Yet it's worth noting that N-oleolethanolamine and N-linoleoylethanolamine, two structural cousins of anandamide present in chocolate, both inhibit the metabolism of anandamide. It has been speculated that they promote and prolong the feeling of well-being that anandamide can induce.

Chocolate contains caffeine. But caffeine is present only in modest quantities. It is easily obtained from other sources. Chocolate's theobromine content may contribute to - but seems unlikely to determine - its subtle but distinctive profile. Chocolate also contains tryptophan. Tryptophan is an essential amino acid. It is the rate-limiting step in the production of the mood-modulating neurotransmitter serotonin. Enhanced serotonin function typically diminishes anxiety. Yet tryptophan can normally be obtained from other sources as well.

Like other palatable sweet foods, consumption of chocolate causes the release of endorphins, the body's endogenous opiates. Enhanced endorphin-release reduces the chocolate-eater's sensitivity to pain. Endorphins probably contribute to the warm inner glow induced in susceptible chocaholics.

Acute monthly cravings for chocolate amongst pre-menstrual women may be partly explained by its rich magnesium content. Magnesium deficiency exacerbates PMT. Before menstruation, too, levels of the hormone progesterone are high. Progesterone promotes fat storage, preventing its use as fuel; and thus elevated pre-menstrual levels of progesterone may cause a periodic craving for fatty foods. One study reported that 91% of chocolate-cravings associated with the menstrual cycle occurred between ovulation and the start of menstruation. Chocolate cravings are admitted by 15% of men and around 40% of women. Cravings are usually most intense in the late afternoon and early evening.

Perhaps chocolate's key ingredient is its phenylethylamine "love-chemical". Yet the role of the "chocolate amphetamine" is disputed. Most if not all chocolate-derived phenylethylamine is metabolised before it reaches the CNS. Some people may be sensitive to its effects in very small quantities.

Phenylethylamine is itself a naturally occurring trace amine in the brain. It releases mesolimbic dopamine in the pleasure-centres. It peaks during orgasm. Taken in unnaturally high doses, phenylethylamine can produce stereotyped behaviour more prominently even than amphetamine. Phenylethylamine has distinct binding sites but no specific neurons. It helps mediate feelings of attraction, excitement, giddiness, apprehension and euphoria. One of its metabolites is unusually high in subjects with paranoid schizophrenia.

There is even a phenylethylamine theory of depression. Monoamine oxidase type-b has been described as phenylethylaminase; and taking an selective MAO-b inhibitor, selegiline (l-deprenyl), can accentuate chocolate's effects. Some subjects report that bupropion (Wellbutrin) reduces their chocolate-cravings; but other chocaholics dispute this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Karen
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 18:01

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

OK, OK, I give! I have to admit, I've put unsweetened cocoa in my chili. It makes it oh so rich!

;-Deb
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 19:20

BF:

I have a coffee press. I'll have to give that crushed cocao bean drink a try...I love espresso.
You wouldn't happen to know what the carb count would be, would you? Cocao beans weren't listed in Corinne Netzer's carb counter.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 19:27
Forum Founder

BF:

Sorry Lisa, I don't have a clue. I think it would be a little higher than coffee.

Karen
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-02, 20:12

BF:

Just as a side note. Whenever I think of unsweetened chocolate, I have to remember the time I was making brownies and my daughter saw the bowl of melted chocolate and butter on the counter before I added the sugar and couldn't resist sticking her finger in for a taste. The look on her face was priceless! I've never actually seen someone try to scrape all the taste buds off their tongue before that moment.