Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-06, 21:22
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikdriver
I wonder how primitive man hunted coconuts. They seem like wiley creatures indeed, and perfectly camouflaged to hide in trees and be mistaken for vegetation, while their outer layer of skin is very tough, and would be hard to penetrate with stone age spears.

You can certainly crack a coconut w/o spears. A rock will do. Besides the areas where coconuts grow have many tropical storms that blow them off the trees.
And the fibrous stuff between the outer and inner part of the coconut are good for making ropes, starting fires, etc.

ps: Thanks for the recipe. My favorite coconut recipe is HAUPIA which I learned to make while living in Hawaii.

Last edited by fluffybear : Fri, Apr-28-06 at 21:28.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-06, 21:39
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Both of you have this ALL wrong. Yes, coconuts did hide in trees... and yes, tropical storms did blow them off those trees. BUT... our ancestors mistook these for "Siberia Mammoth Oysters", as they were commonly called back then! So, you see, they were still considered animal food.

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Fri, Apr-28-06 at 21:47.
  #123   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-06, 21:43
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Very funny Deano.

All I know is I had to survive on the things for a week after a typhoon once back in the 70's when I lived in Guam 'cause all the meat in my freezer thawed and spoiled in the tropical heat.
  #124   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 13:16

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
New topic. Pot Luck at work for Cinco de Mayo. I was thinking I'd do a quiche -- eggs, heavy cream, no crust. Brown some hamburger and add fajita seasonings, sprinkle it into the eggs and cream. Cheese? Then serve it with bowls of sour cream and (for the veggie lovers in the crowd) salsa.

I wanted to report back that my Mexican quiche was the hit of the party! The low-calorie/low-fat crowd loved it, as did the vegetarians! Go figure. Several people even asked for the "recipe."
  #125   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 14:03
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
I wanted to report back that my Mexican quiche was the hit of the party! The low-calorie/low-fat crowd loved it, as did the vegetarians! Go figure. Several people even asked for the "recipe."
So... Bawdy... don't leave us in suspense! Please post your recipe here!
  #126   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 15:25

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

There's really no recipe, I just started adding stuff. But, if you insist, this is probably close:

Mexican Quiche

12 eggs
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups shredded cheese (the kind with "Mexican seasoning")

Whisk this all together.

Brown 1 pound of ground beef, drain the fat (can I use this for something else? I did keep it!), add a package of fajita seasoning and a little water to the meat.

Pour the egg mixture into a 13 x 9 pan that has been GENEROUSLY coated with spray oil (or simply butter or something). Sprinkle in the beef so that it's well distributed.

I baked mine at 375 for about 30 minutes. After it came out of the oven, I sprinkled a little more cheese on the top for good measure.

To serve, I cut a good size square (maybe 3" x 3"), topped it with a couple spoonfuls of salsa, and topped that with a good dollop of sour cream.

As I said, it was the hit of the party! So many people said they would never have thought to put ground beef in a quiche, but that it's really tasty!
  #127   ^
Old Wed, May-17-06, 12:58
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: -/-/- Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:

Dean's Deviled Eggs

Place all ingredients into food processor

egg yolks from 18 hard boiled eggs

4 oz cream cheese

2 jalapeno peppers

2 red serrano peppers

1 tbsp chili powder

2 tsp red curry powder

1 tsp:

ground cayenne red pepper

ancho chile pepper

chipotle chile pepper

crushed red pepper

ground black pepper

ground white pepper

dash:

paprika

garlic powder

onion powder

redmond real salt

Blend on high in food processor for several minutes, until very smooth

Spoon liberal amounts into egg whites

Sprinkle curry powder on top

Chill for several hours

Enjoy!
  #128   ^
Old Wed, May-31-06, 14:27

Plan: Protein Pow/ antivegan
Stats: 330/279.5/220 Male 76
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Coconut Pudding

Hi, guys I posted this under the coconut thread but thought maybe I should put it here too. A great treat that is very low carb, if you don't mind coconut products in your WOE.
---------------

"Here's something I've come up with that I and my wife love. A small amount is usually very satisfying also.

Take a can of coconut cream and warm it in a sauce pan.
Add softened or warmed Cream cheese, or Creme Fraiche' to your own taste. (Between none and 1/2 stick.
Add a pinch of Salt (Don't skip unless you are REALLY adverse to salt, as this helps bring out the flavors and give you that Sweet/Salty blend so prevalent in good Thai food.
separately dissolve a packet of Knox Gelatine in cold water.(Then add to above mix-once cream cheese is disolved.)
Turn heat off or remove from burner.
Add about a T of Real Vanilla
Add some Fresh Lime, Lemon or both. (or use Minutemaid frozen Juices,- It actually tastes like fresh, and keeps virtually forever in the frig.{But don't ever use those nasty tasting little plastic round lemon/lime shaped juices...Ugh}) I prefer mostly Lime, w/ a touch of lemon.

Sweeten to taste w/ Liquid splenda, stevia, your favorite, or a mix.
If you have Coconut extract or the low-carb coconut flavoring like torani's add some of those also...to enhance the coconut flavor.

After pouring out into dish/s Sprinkle a little Shredded unsweetened coconut on-top if you would like, or mix in, or leave out altogether.(even better if you toast it)

Chill & allow to set up in Frig of course.

It's a great treat and really healthy too. I have a couple spoon-fulls after dinner and any time I want to satisfy a snacking urge.

Feel free to experiment with ingredients as I change it up a bit each time I make it, for different effects. (The more Cream cheese you use the more of a cheesecake effect you will get, but the less coconut you will taste)

You could also add coconut oil to it to get more of that in if you would like.

Hope you enjoy it.
  #129   ^
Old Sun, Jun-18-06, 18:28
Registered Member

Plan: Carbs not
Stats: 159/124/130 Female 67 inches
BF:Playing the field
Progress: 121%

Butter & Garlic with Tail-On Shrimp

Melt butter in pan. Add minced or chopped garlic to taste and a few big shakes of crushed red pepper. Toss in large amount of tail-on shrimp and cook until opaque. Eat.
  #130   ^
Old Mon, Jul-10-06, 12:49

Plan: ketogenic neandrathin
Stats: 254/212/155 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default crockpot carnivore

I've morphed from paleo to carnivore for the time being.

Crock pot carnivore.....besides the fact that our oven is broken, it is hot in OH and its nice to use the crockpot instead of heat up the house. Thought it'd be nice to post some crockpot recipes suitable for carnivores....
Beef:
Put in crockpot:
garlic/onion/dill, a little liquid (salsa,beer or red wine .... experiment!)
beef roast (take your pick)
turn roast to coat it and add a little sea salt if you like.
squeeze on some dijon mustard, top w/more onion and garlic and some olive oil and let it cook on low as long as it takes to have nice moist fall apart beef (about 10-12 hrs depending on the cut of meat)

The simmering will cause the flavors to permeate the meat...no need to eat the sauce, just scrape it off before eating if you are a strict carnivore. Yum

Your turn....etc....

Haven't posted in awhile and came back to check on the carnivores. The thread I found as a support thread has been locked. Is it ok to ask some questions here where the carnivores play nice together and don't bring out the clubs? I'd just like to know how those who've been doing this awhile are feeling....health, energy, weight. Esp how they've seen their bodies respond weightwise.

Wondering also about the basic groundrules.... is dairy and coconut milk considered "carnivore" ? Seems like some recipes may have more wiggle room than I thought. Seems like those things would interfere w/weight loss if that is a goal.

This morning is day 3 for me of meat/fish/water/tea/diet vernors (yeah i know...not carnivore!) and my bp is great...had gone up because of stress eating and is now down to 117/74. Also I've dropped 7 pounds. I feel great...lots of energy. Taking supplemental cal/mag/C/multi too. Terry

Last edited by Flower51 : Mon, Jul-10-06 at 12:58.