Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-26-05, 20:43
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 143/143/125 Female 5ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 0%
Exclamation How fast should I be running on the Treadmill?

Hi,

I would appreciate anyone advice. I have been walking/running for 60 min on the treadmill for about 10 weeks, four days per week. Now, I am can run for 25 min without stopping, but my speed is only 3.8 (with no incline). Is that too slow? I feel great afterward, but should I continue at that speed, and go run for a longer workout, or should I try to speed up? By the way, after running for 25 min, I continue to walk the rest of the time.

I am currently 137 pounds, 5ft, 4in. I was 145 pounds before I started exercising, but I would like to lose a lot more weight.

Would appreciate any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-27-05, 03:10

Plan: Stillman/Atkins
Stats: 251/251/175 Female 5'3"
BF:

I think that sounds good.....great job!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-27-05, 08:11

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default What will your life allow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mable
I have been walking/running for 60 min on the treadmill for about 10 weeks, four days per week. Now, I am can run for 25 min without stopping, but my speed is only 3.8 (with no incline). Is that too slow? I feel great afterward, but should I continue at that speed, and go run for a longer workout, or should I try to speed up? By the way, after running for 25 min, I continue to walk the rest of the time.

My inclination is to say that, if you can manage 60 minutes in your life four days a week for real (and not just "for plan"), then stick to that and try to run for a longer portion of that 60 minutes. When you're up to about 50 minutes running with a 10 minute cool-down walk, start thinking about changing speed or incline.

You might also want to try running as long as you can, walking a bit, running again, etc. until your time is up, leaving a cool-down walk at the end of at least 5 or 10 minutes. Maybe you're already doing this and just didn't say it.

A little bit of sprint work is never a bad thing, but IMO, distance is better.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-06, 14:24

Plan: general lowcarb
Stats: 160/133/120 Female 63 in
BF:??
Progress: 68%

You are doing great! I would suggest that you increase your speed one point per week. For instance run at 3.9 for a week and then increase it to 4.0 the next. If it feels too hard to move up keep it at the same pace until you feel ready to move it up. Another idea is to run at intervals (HIIT) this increases your aerobic capcity in shorter amount of time. It also burns fat faster. Look into it! It may be what you need to kick inot the next gear.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-06, 16:46

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Are you checking your heart rate at all? If so, are you getting your heart rate up to at least 65% of you maximum heart rate? If not you can do several things, you can change the incline, speed or length of your work-out to burn even more calories.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-12-06, 00:19
Registered Member

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 255/199.5/160 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 58%

3.8 mph sounds a bit slow for running...are you saying that's what you're running at, or walking at? I agree with italiangel; go at 5-6 mph now for maybe 2 minutes, then walk around 3 for 2 minutes. If you're not tired after those 2 minutes of running, either increase the intensity or duration, and repeat until you have 30-40 minutes in.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-12-06, 05:36
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 143/143/125 Female 5ft 4 in
BF:

Yes, I was running at 3.8, but now, I am 4.3 mph. I do it this for 5 min, then walk for 2 min. It is still too hard for me to run at 5 mph. I feel like my legs cannot keep that stride.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-12-06, 15:45
Registered Member

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 255/199.5/160 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Push yourself a bit. Unless it's just way too much, and you might trip and fall, going a bit harder will push you out of your comfort zone and make you improve, faster. If you're shooting for intervals, starting at 5 minutes for the effort portion is a bit high (it indicates that you aren't working hard enough). If you can't keep up at a higher speed, then stay at 4.3 but add slope.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 14:52
Never Give Up!!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/139/140 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Hi Mable. When I first started exercising, I too ran at about 3.5 to 4.0 mph. I would walk/run in the same way you described. Many people probably think this is awfly slow for running, but when you have short legs (I am also 5'4"), and your stride is short, quick and light, this still provides a good workout. When I try to run at 5 or 6 mph, I get shin splints (yes, I do warmup and stretch!) and feel very awkward - like I'm pounding the pavement. Now I am up to 30 minutes of continuous running, at about 4.5 mph - and still feel very comfortable (although I am sweating like crazy and breathing where I can't keep a long conversation, hr at about 145bpm). Many years ago I used to run 30 minutes a day at 6.5mph - I was in very good shape but ended up pushing myself too far, I tore my right achilles and couldn't run again until now (6 years later). I am not going to mess this up again, by pushing myself too far - if you feel you are getting a good workout and are getting that wonderfull endorphin high - then your speed should not matter so much. Your body will tell you when you can do more - when 4.2 is too easy, move up slowly - and enjoy yourself.