Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 23:28

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Thanks for the prompt and reassuring reply, Lisa.

I am one of those loathe to give up cheese and half and half. I typically eat 2/3 oz of hard cheese each day, occasionally (no more than once a week) I may eat an additional ounce. No cream cheese and 1-2 T half and half per day. And butter: maybe 1/2 T per day on vegetables. I think of myself as a pretty moderate dairy user, but am planning to eliminate it for 30 days (once I finish my carton of 1/2 and 1/2) to see what happens.

Yeah, love the Kerrygold, too. I've also been buying Amish butter in big logs - it's got great taste, too.

(My husband just came by to inquire why I'm frowning as I type).

I'd love input from anyone who cares to give it. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 23:30

Thanks, wheeler, LivinRight and Glenda. This is definitely reassuring. EDIT: I've been to that TJs, Glenda. We're not too far south of there, on Whidbey Island.
  #93   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 07:14

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

To shed holiday pounds, I cut out nuts, wine, dark chocolate, flaxmeal, and sadly, cheese and yogurt. So I can't pinpoint dairy...just an all out assault on the higher cal and carb offenders that are way too easy to overeat. But the butter stayed!

Glenda, can you get Anchor Butter from NZ in BC? Also yum as I remember from years ago in the UK. It is on Amazon but was more expensive than Kerrygold at TJs. Saw some lovely farms on Vancouver Island...any local cheese maker who might also do butter?

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jan-29-13 at 07:22.
  #94   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 07:44

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Liz: not only didn't I eliminate butter on the road to goal, I substantially increased it by using it where I once used olive oil. I got to goal eating moderate dairy (greek yogurt, HWC, half n'half, cheese) and a lot of butter. Staying in maintenance is a whole other story. I am toying with the idea of eliminating everything except my Kerrygold to see if that will shed a few pesky pounds. But I don't want to do it half-hearted, so waiting for the strength to give it my best shot, lol.
  #95   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 11:55

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Question for Maintainers:

Is there anyone who got to goal without giving up dairy? Did that include butter? If you gave up any or all dairy, were you able to add it back in maintenance? Did you want to?

I did give up ALL dairy, with the exception of butter to get to goal. I kicked and screamed about doing it, but I dropped FIVE POUNDS the first week I gave it up (and this was very near to goal). That was a HUGE eye-opener for me that it was causing problems for me. I can't remember how long I stayed dairy free....maybe 6 months? Could have been longer or shorter. Anyway, I've added it back in now in fairly limited quantities and have started experimenting with raw cheeses and goat cheese. I may need to rethink dairy again, though.

I did want to add it back in, for sure. But after going without it for so long it became normal and now I know I <can> go without dairy.

For the record, I never did well with cottage cheese or yogurt - even full fat Greek plain yogurt. <sigh>
  #96   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 12:11

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 156/118/120 Female 65 inches
BF:36%/22%/18%
Progress: 106%

I have never given up cheese or butter, but I rarely have any other dairy. It's a choice to go for higher fat items, in my case. I'm thinking about adding in some heavy cream because I'm exercising heavily and need some more calories. Wow, it's kind of nice to be able to say that....
  #97   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 12:12

Thanks, Janet, Whofan, Freckles and Corsair.

Wow, that's a huge endorsement, Freckles - I can certainly see why you're a believer. And I'm *so* glad that you were able to add it back. Your post makes me think I could try it for fewer than the 30 days I have in mind - perhaps I'd know if it's a factor in the first week? I'm not much tempted by cottage cheese (in fact, ugh!) and I'm not a huge fan of yogurt. It's the little bit of cream in my coffee and the cheese in my scrambled eggs.....

Still debating this question in my mind, would love to hear from others.
  #98   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 12:30

Plan: No factory-processed food
Stats: 230/147/147 Male 5' 10"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
Liz: not only didn't I eliminate butter on the road to goal, I substantially increased it by using it where I once used olive oil. I got to goal eating moderate dairy (greek yogurt, HWC, half n'half, cheese) and a lot of butter. Staying in maintenance is a whole other story. I am toying with the idea of eliminating everything except my Kerrygold to see if that will shed a few pesky pounds. But I don't want to do it half-hearted, so waiting for the strength to give it my best shot, lol.

I have experimented with dairy and found it to be very harmless for weight, with the massive exception of cheese. I don't believe it is the dairy in cheese that causes me the problem but the salt in it. Rather than give up all dairy at once, I'd suggest eliminating different types of dairy in turn, to see which types are the culprit. I did this, and as a result I now eat little cheese but enjoy my (unsalted) butter, milk, and cream without suffering on the scale.
  #99   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 13:13

BF:

Hadn't thought of the one item at a time approach, Plinge. If I give up cream I'll have to give up coffee, so that'll be the last to go. I've still got some cheese in the fridge; it will be difficult but when it's gone I'll start the experiment by eliminating that. Fingers crossed, and thanks for the idea.
  #100   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 13:21

Great idea, Plinge. I too could give up my little bit of cheese; the cream in my tea and coffee is more problematic. Baby steps, I like it.
  #101   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 13:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:

Whofan,
I still count carbs and calories. I love my cheese and butter and did not give them up. HOWEVER, I dolower my carbs to VLC (under 10) and calories to about 1400 - 1500 to lose, but can have cheese or butter in here if there is wiggle room. I know some do not think calories count, but for me, as Plinge once said, it is a way to look at how much I am eating. I need to eat LESS to lose.
  #102   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-13, 08:16

BF:

Arlene: How do you manage to keep your carbs under 10g? Do you eat any veg or fruit?
  #103   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-13, 09:37
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Question for Maintainers:

Is there anyone who got to goal without giving up dairy? Did that include butter? If you gave up any or all dairy, were you able to add it back in maintenance? Did you want to?

I got to goal without giving up dairy, too. Like cnmLisa, I use half-and-half instead of heavy cream. Half-and-half doesn't add many carbs and it cuts the calories in half. I eat about 1-2 ounces of cheese per day, which is usually a hard cheese like cheddar (but not always). I rarely eat cream cheese or ricotta, unless I've made a cheesecake. I still eat butter, but I've never been a big butter eater and eat coconut oil more often than butter. The major dairy item that I eat (on a daily basis during both weight loss and maintenance) is Greek yogurt. I especially like the Light and Fit Greek yogurts by Dannon.

Last edited by CarolynC : Tue, Feb-19-13 at 11:50.
  #104   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-13, 10:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
Arlene: How do you manage to keep your carbs under 10g? Do you eat any veg or fruit?

I do not want or need fruit, except Avos which I eat copiously.

I keep my veges low, fat high when trying to get a few pounds off. I am fine with it.
  #105   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-13, 12:14

BF:

Interesting. I too have found just lately that my weight is better when I don't eat fruits and vegetables. Yet ANOTHER counter-intuitive thing to get my head around. I'm beginning to think there isn't even one food-related piece of advice from the last 30 years that hasn't been turned upside down by the lc w.o.e.