Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 11:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 268/268/170
BF:48
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Help?! Hives after cleanse

I have been using Candida Cleanse for 2 weeks and quit Thursday. I wanted to wait 2 weeks to restart hoping to get a relief from die-off symptoms. Since then I have developed hives and itchy rashes all over my body (even genitals are burning and itching). Against my better judgment (not wanting to resort to medicines), I broke down and took Allegra yesterday and today and benedryl last night. They offered some relief, but I'm still ITCHING.

Is there a connection between quitting the candida cleanse and the hive reaction? I am sticking stricktly to the candida diet, have added nothing different, either in food or chemicals around the house. In sunny California it is early spring and trees are blossoming. I have developed allergies over the past few years so it could just be the season, but seems an unlikely coincidence that I would develop such severe reaction at the same time (to the day) I stopped the cleanse.

I don't know what to do? Should I restart the cleanse to possibly escape these symptoms or just treat the hives and hope they go away soon? It's getting so bad that I may have to go to the Dr., but I won't get any help other than an antihistimine shot. Has anyone had anything similar happen when they quit anti-candida treatment? I'm desparate! I would greatly appreciate any input.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 14:33
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi Sue,

Sorry you're having such a nasty reaction. I'm doubtful that it's yeast die-off that's causing this though ... die-off, or a cleansing reaction, would've begun during the first 10 days, and symptoms would've included feelings of malaise, possibly diarrhea or nausea, headaches and yes, possibly a rash.

Do you have a history of eczema?? Stress can trigger a flare up, this I know from personal experience. The rash tends to be dry and itchy at first, then the hives appear.

Has the manufacturer of your usual soap or laundry detergent changed their formula? Look for "new and improved" or other hints on the label. That may be a culprit. I had to stop using a favourite shampoo because they changed their formula, and the new one makes my scalp itchy.

It seems that a trip to the dr. may be in order. If the symptoms are localized to your skin, perhaps just a cortisone cream such as betnovate may be all that's necessary, rather than an injection of any kind.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 07:29
Registered Member

Plan: mostly Atkins
Stats: 152/132/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I had massive hives the day before hallowean (before I started lc and yeast irradication). I ended up in the emergency room by the 4rth day with rapid heart rate and edema and full body hives. I think this was due to a yeast overgrowth in response to all the hallowean candy I ate plus I was drinking 7up during the hives thinking that at least I was staying hydrated with a bit of sugar since I could keep anything down (vomiting and what did go in came out the other end very rapidly).

I was given IV antihistamines and steroids for the reaction. I stayed on prednisone for a week along with antihistamines. My doctor tested me for a number of allergins including yeast and my antibody titers for yeast were the only things that came back really high. These were IgG and Iga antibodies so it was clear that I had been allergic for some time but we think what happened was that I had such a rapid growth in yeast from the sugar that there was a die off that produced enough toxin and antigen that it spilled over into my IgE response and thus the massive release of histamines that caused the hives. The part of the yeast I'm allergic to is proteins inside the yeast cell so these proteins are only exposed during die off when the cells disintegrate. The yeast metabolic processes can also effect some people even if they aren't allergic to the yeast themselves.

I started the candida diet and eventually nystatin but needed to do it gradually because as the yeast died off more I got two other bouts of hives about 6 weeks apart. It is important to take the antihistamines because they help to prevent further responses to the yeast which just go on to sensitize you even more. I have been lc (under 20g of carbs a day) since mid Dec and I haven't had any further hives since then although my skin was itchy for the first two weeks of lc but that passed. I have also been doing probiotics and most of my yeast related symptoms seem to have gone away. I never had vaginal yeast infections so it seems that one can have problems with them in ones gut without having them invade other areas. It is impossible to completely get rid of yeast as they are a normal part of your intestinal system and generally only cause problems when they become the main part and crowd out the good bacteria. They can get a foot hold if your gut membranes are in poor shape due to any number of causes (intestinal flue, food allergies, antibiotics, high carb diets)
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 08:33

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%

I never had many vaginal yeast infections either. My symptoms are mainly located in the intestinal regions. This is causing alot of problems with digesting nutrients. I am hoping I am getting it under control with low carbing, and ant-fungals.

How long have you been experiencing die off, Promenea? I am still having horrible die off symptoms, and I have been doing this for a little over two months. Recently had a sinus/bronchial infection so back on antibiotics. I don't think the sinus infection is totally gone, but I stopped that antibiotics anyway, because I was worried about the Candida.

-Jess
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 08:49
Registered Member

BF:

I was on the candida diet for about 2 months and other than fatigue (which might be from something else) and the hives I didn't experience many problems. I had previously gone gluten free however (about 6 months) because of celiacs disease so that might have started the process of gut healing. I found that I was sensitive to the nystatin so I decided to go really low carb to combat the yeast and other than the first two weeks of lc I haven't experience any itching. I get headaches on occasion but who knows what that is from. My digestion has changed from pretty much chronic loose stools or diarrhea before the celiac diagnosis, to loose but better during candida diet to pretty much regular during lc but I've also changed my eating habits a lot! It used to be that anything fiberous like salads or nuts gave me instant diarrhea but not any more.

Are you sure that your sinus headaches aren't from yeast? I've heard that they can colonize just about any mucuos membrane. My doc wanted me to do nystatin nasal sprays as well as taking it in every possible oriface but I couldn't. I've now been doing just saline washes a few times a day and my nasal membranes generally feel better. I use a non-preserved fresh solution of distilled water and some salt to avoid preservatives which burn me. I'm very sensitive to perfumes and cleaning products and we think this is related to the yeast and "leaky" mucuos membranes. That still hasn't gone away unfortunately. I'm hoping it will eventually.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 09:44

Well, I suppose it is possible that the sinus problems are yeast related! I never knew about any of this candida stuff until I started low carbing. I have read alot in the past weeks, and I am sure most of my allergies, fibro symptoms, etc. are all from the candida. I am learning so much lately.

I will try the saline solution for my sinuses. I read that goldenseal is good for sinus infections, and since it is also good for candida, I am taking Candistroy, which contains lots of goldenseal. I took three last night, and am feeling horrible today!
I get a die off reaction where I feel like I have a hangover. Seriously, it really feels like a hangover. This is so frustrating, trying to feel better, but feeling worse. I know I am doing the right thing, but I am so sick of feeling like a mac truck ran over me! Yikes. I hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for the info!!

-Jess
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 12:25
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Hi guys!! All the symptoms you've mentioned can be connected to candida, even my son's "strep throat" when the tests come back negative. The questionaire at the bottom of my post has a symptoms list. Check it out. I was very supprised my self. I do a GF diet also and my IBS went away. Thank goodness. The sinus infection can be part of the die off. I use the saline nasal spray also if I get a sinus headache or the back of my throat starts to hurt. Meat and veggies is the way to go to get over this. I use flax seed for nutrient and extra fiber. Lots of salads!! If you can find organic meat it'll help too. There are antibiotics in "traditional" meat sources. It's more expensive,so I just get creative and make sure I get good use of it. I've found chicken and eggs so far, think I've got a line on some beef, yum, steak,drool...

Liz
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 20:29

Liz, I took the test from the link you have posted under your signature, and I scored a 399. What do I win?

Yikes. Well, I knew I would have a high score. Lucky me.

-Jess
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 09:32

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Thanks M1! I (apparently!) suffer from this. These feelings are why I've, just recently, started low carbing. I NEED ENERGY!

My mom is all but debilitated from these symptoms. I'm passing this info along to her. Hopefully she'll be able to kick her sugar addiction with low carb lifestyle of some sort. THanks again.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 10:09
Registered Member

BF:

M1, I've also read that grass fed vrs feed lot beef is better for you for weight loss as well because grass fed beef has more conjugated linolec acid in the meat (good for weight loss) and feed lot beef has mostly the non-conjugated form (not good for weight loss). The basic idea is that feed lot cows are so sick from an inappropriate diet for their digestive systems that they are in a state where their whole systems are out of whack. It is basically like only eating sickened animals. Check online sources for grass fed beef if you can buy enough at a time and freeze it I think you can get some good deals.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 13:40
Plemorphist

I've read the same thing. Found a health food store that sells organic beef, but were out when I was in there. We're getting ready to move to a bigger place. I want to get a deep freeze and in the spring just buy a side straight from the grower. Luckily I'm just hours from the Shannadoah Valley in VA and there are a few organic farmers around here. Hope they'll deliver!!

Liz
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 14:26
Registered Member

BF:

That sounds great! I don't think they even have to be totally organic (but of course that is better) to get the benefits of grazing rather than feed lot feeding.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 16:54
Plemorphist

Being I'm fighting Candida, I'm trying to get away from the antibiotics and hormones present in the "traditional" meat available at the grocery. I made a big pot of chicken soup from all organic ingredients and can feel the difference. I'm having a big yeast die-off and haven't changed the supplements I'm taking for it. Have regular beef in the freezer now, but once it's gone, gotta get the good stuff!!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 14:18

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

I have been very aggressive in fighting this candida and two days ago I too broke out in hives on my neck and upper chest. Im baking off of some of the products I have bought to see what happens. Vonnie
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 04:35

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Just FYI y'all...Die off symptoms usually last *at least* 3 months, maybe longer, depending on how aggressively you attack it. How aggressive you are also means how much you will suffer from symptoms in proportion to how fast they are dying off. Most of my dieoff symptoms went away after 3 months, but I still had little flareups for about a year. I have been symptom free for years now, so I know it can be done. Be STRONG! You may lose some battles every now and then, but you'll ultimately win the war.