Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-18, 08:45

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Deepak Chopra is not a Buddhist even if he incorporates some Buddhist practices and influences into his work. His influences seem much more Hindu to me.

I love his 'at peace' demeanor, developed from Hindu and Buddism, and it brings me peace too when I hear him on PBS.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-18, 09:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I like Dr. Chopra as well. He draws a lot on Ayurveda, an old Indian healing system, which I read about in one of his books and have been interested in and fascinated by ever since although it's heady stuff and hard to follow - which ironically is what makes it interesting. It's hard to tell what his religion is, it's a conglomeration of Eastern philosophies/New Thought type stuff, but I love his energy and intellect.
  #108   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-18, 05:28

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I'm about half way through Superfuel: Ketogenic Keys to Unlock the Secrets of Good Fats, Bad Fats, and Great Health, by James Dinicolantonio (The Salt Fix) and Joseph Mercola (2018).

It's all about the fat. Focused like a laser on the omega 3 / omega 6 debate. Very readable and a page turner. I was dreaming about my omega 6 oil take out turkey day deep fried pork dinner let me tell you lol.

#109   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-18, 04:54

BF:

Finished The Good Gut: Taking Control of Your Weight, Your Mood, and Your Long-term Health, Justin Sonnenburg, Erica Sonnenburg (2015). Took me a while to figure out they don't like meat in diets, and eats lots of legumes. Still a good read for me. I'm getting used to contrary commentary on what I choose for my diet, and always have a grain of salt handy.

Found them through Dr. Rhonda Patrick's foundmyfitness email update - How The Gut Microbiota Affects Our Health with Dr. Erica & Dr. Justin Sonnenburg 12-2-2015

#110   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-18, 12:00

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr Shawn Baker has written the Carnivore Diet. Can't get much more LC than that. due out Feb 28, my library has it on order...they really do walk on the wild side at times.
  #111   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-18, 13:00

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

It astonishes me how so many people are ignorent on what they eat and how it is effecting their body. What I mean is that so many people think they need legumes with high fiber.
I was reading a restaurant review on Yelp the other day, about a Brizilian steakhouse and the lady said that she has to load up on legumes and fiber to be able to go there and eat lots of meat. Then she jabbered on something about not being able to have a BM in the next few days because of the meat.
I thought to myself, doesn't she understand that the meat is 100% digestible.
  #112   ^
Old Tue, Dec-25-18, 04:36

BF:

So I got the 2018 updated version of Dr. David Perlmutter's Grain Brain, and picked it up to read the intro and next thing I knew I was more than half way through lol. A great refresher / motivator.

#113   ^
Old Tue, Dec-25-18, 09:32

BF:

S9,Having read both editions is the latest full of data from the last five years, or simlpy a f refresher?

As for Wheat Belly, that book left its mark as I keeo thinking about the breadth of the wheat impact, and the long term consequences in "healthy" people. Instead if potato pancakes which is a post holiday breakfast special, i simply announced mash potatoes with breakfast.....got no complaints. Overall, getting wheat out of our diet for Nov and Dec has been a difficult challenge. As breads, pastas and grains are daily staples in all cultures, meals without grains are a challenge for those not living vlc in my family. Will continue to dump the grains here....
  #114   ^
Old Tue, Dec-25-18, 09:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
S9,Having read both editions is the latest full of data from the last five years, or simlpy a f refresher?
it's both!; a refresher with new recent studies added.

#115   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-19, 11:22

BF:

Reading Ivor Cummins' Eat Rich, Live Long. Have always loved his video lectures and always have take aways. Finally watched The Widowmaker (2015).

goodreads link

#116   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-19, 11:26

BF:

Thank you!
  #117   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-19, 11:55

BF:

Stents have a purpose... but it should not be the prevention. Still listening to the program but concerned diet will not be discussed. I see the white waxy spots in my facial skin decreasing since using the Vitamin K2 at 100mg/d and would like to see if it is removing the calcium from inapproporiate tissues; I also do not supplement with calcium anymore, and watch the amount of dairy products to keep the amount reasonable. Reasonable is much less than all the recommendations, as more is NOT better and women at high risk for osteoporosis were advised to INCREASE their intake, and the result was HIGHER heart attack rates. THe recommendations were reduced.

THere is little to no discussion about balancing magnesium, potassium, phosphorus and calcium. And getting daily intake of VIt D and Vit K2.....Im at 10,000 units of D3 a day for the winter, and 100 mg/d for vit D3.

Stents are dangerous-- I had one inplanted-- not for heart attack reasons but other damage to the carotid artery.
  #118   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-19, 16:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
Reading Ivor Cummins' Eat Rich, Live Long.

One thing I learned is if you have ApoE4 then you'll have cholesterol problems. Never knew that, and I may have to buy this for reference.

Still the same problem with all of these keto diet books when it comes to protein. They still throw out the protein requirements in gram per pound and then leave you hanging. NO ONE tells you how to figure this out, and NO ONE shows you where to figure this out. And I've read quite a few of these.
  #119   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-19, 15:12

BF:

You mean grams of protein per pound of body weight??
For example, at 2 grams of protein per pound body weight, and body weight is 150 pounds.

2 grams protein 150 lbs BW
------------------ x -------------- = 300 grams
1 lb BW

THis is the math to figure it out. I used made up numbers, so don't use the above as gospel= That is the 2 grams, and 150 lbs.

THis only calculates grams pf protein. When I looked up a variety of foods including meats, the grams of protein per pound of meat varied widely from chicken breast to well marbled beef, and the content of vegetable matter varies A LOT. Soybeans for example are about 45% protein when dried; and soy is usually combined with corn because it's amino acid profile complements soy. Corn is about 8% protein when dried. THis gets a bit crazy: To make a 25% protein feed for commercial broilers, use about 50% soy and 50 % corn.

Point is that meats are a complete protein whereas vegetable sources must be combined to be made complete. Complete means, a profile of amino acids that the same as meat.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Sun, Jan-06-19 at 08:05.
  #120   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-19, 04:33

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Similar to the protein table in NANY, Phinney at Virta coverts the protein formulas into how many Ounces of say meat, to eat as a man or woman at a certain weight. Net down it is a very wide range, so didn’t think about it much following NANY.
When I started using a tracker 8 months into weight loss, found it is unlikely I would be above or below the wide range given (except fasting).
https://blog.virtahealth.com/how-much-protein-on-keto/