Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-12, 20:19

Plan: General
Stats: 160/160/155 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress:
Default Male Yeast Infection Treatment?

Hello all,

I've been struggling with a male yeast infection and a TON of information about what it is I should take or not take in alternative treatments. Before I turn back to western medicine I was wondering if anyone here would be willing to assist me.

As a 30+ year old uncircumcised male I've had a yeast infection here and there in my lifetime. However, recently it seems that I get them at the drop of a hat.

Typically, my doctor will prescribe some kind of cream/ointment - most recently econozale, and possibly some diflucan and it will clear up. This time around, however, it has persisted.

Being unemployed and unable to afford the medical fees I have turned to alternative treatments.

After doing a bit of research I came across a couple suggestions, and have been doing this for the past week or so but so far to no avail;
* Removing bread, alcohol and sugars from my diet
* Consuming and applying raw coconut oil
* Consuming and applying raw manukah honey
* Consuming and applying raw apple cider vinegar

I was wondering if anyone had an experience with this directly that could advise me? I see organic oregano oil, garlic as well as MSM flakes - are the things I mentioned above not effective?

Please help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-12, 01:28

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default VCO should help

I would hope the coconut oil would help. Apply as often as you can and you should see - and feel - an improvement pretty soon.

I use it for fungal problems and it really does help. But if I forget to use it, the problem comes back.

I also believe I have low thyroid function and that seems to make people susceptible to the problem (due to your skin being drier, I presume).

Good luck and keep using the VCO!!!

Amanda
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-12, 20:31

BF:
Progress:

Hey thanks Amanda!

I've been eating it daily (worked my way up to two tablespoons) and applying it twice a day in addition to other treatments.

I really hope this works - and I hope it helps you out too. I've also been applying it to my whole body almost every night - it doesn't take all that long, and it really moisturizes my skin.

Anyways, thanks for responding to me and best of luck.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-12, 21:14

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Apply plain yogurt with live cultures.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-12, 01:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/241/170 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Hi Andrew,
Are you on antibiotics or have you recently been taking them? Being on them plays havok with the balance of yeast, I was taking an antibiotic for acne and the only thing it did was lead to constant yeast infections, absolutely worthless for the acne. Anyway... The over the counter creams quickly stopped working (yeast will adapt and the treatments will fail to kill the beasties after you've had a couple rounds). After the otc remedies stopped working I tried yogurt, I tried oregano oil, now candida cleanse tablets, an assortment of supplements, until I finally came across a recommendation to use boric acid (you find it in the pharmacy with the opthalmic solutions). It comes in a fine powder, women can use it as a suppository, you can dust it onto the external rash or make a soak. It doesn't hurt and it starts making the itch go away within minutes. It has been my cure with no ill effect. Google it and decide for yourself if you want to try it.
Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-12, 07:49

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Something that has helped me is making sure I'm completely dry after showers, workouts, sweating. I tend to get them in my belly button and on my C-Section scar. After showering, I dry off and then use a blow dryer to briefly dry the area on low heat. My doctor also gave me a yeast infection powder that I sometimes dust on the area too.

Another thing I do is avoid fermented foods like cheese, pickles, soy sauce (difficult to do in Japan!), and black tea. That's a big one for me. If I'm drinking cups of Earl Grey tea regularly, I'm almost certain to get one soon. I have found that I can tolerate it more, as long as I'm consuming coconut too.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-12, 08:43

BF:
Progress:

Hey thanks all!

I've much to consider thanks to all of you!

~AlaneHilo Interestingly enough, I haven't had any itching for a while - it's just apparent that it's still there just by looking at myself. I'll give it a shot though! What should the frequency and duration of the soak be? And how long should I do it (1 week, 2 weeks)? (please forgive me for asking so many questions, but I'm guessing you're a guy who's dealt with what I'm dealing with) How do you know when it's finally gone?

I tried the prescription medication the doc gave me initially. About two days after I finished the treatment, I saw what appeared like a shiny film on my bell end (I'm uncircumcised), the odor re-appeared, and it looked like there were little red spots on the head. Is there anything else I should look for? *Sorry for being graphic!

~gonwtwindo I've been eating plain yogurt daily, and it's the FAGE brand - is there any way to tell whether or not it has live cultures? Or should I just look at the packaging?

~FREE2BEME I've also been drying myself carefully, but thanks for the tip! You mention black tea - does coffee fall into that category too? How about Green tea (my favorite caffeine source)?

Once again thank you all so much! I can't tell you how awesome it is to find a forum like this.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-12, 14:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/241/170 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Hey Andrew,

Nope, I'm a girl so my direct experience is all to do with getting rid of female yeast infections. But good for the goose, good for the gander... except suppositories heh.

It usually took 3-4 days to clear up. You know it is gone when there is no itching, no rash or inflammation, no odor.

Make sure before you use it that you have no open wounds in the effected area, boric acid is toxic in the blood.

There's an article here, lower down on the page she describes how to make a soak for men. She suggests soaking 2x per day until the symptoms are all gone, then do it for 1 more day after that.
http://www.3rdeyeholistic.com/candida.htm
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-12, 21:54

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I don't think coffee is fermented, but I KNOW green tea is not.

Something else to consider...um...well, I had a relative, male, who often struggled in the same way and thought maybe his wife was giving it to him. After dragging her to the doctor, he discovered it was HIS blood sugar. He was in the early stages of diabetes. As long as he kept that in check, no more chronic yeast infections. I hope that's not your problem, but it could be from elevated blood sugar levels over the years. It may not even be high enough to be prescribed any medication, but just something to keep in mind and extra motivation to eliminate sugars and wheat from your diet.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-12, 22:21

BF:
Progress:

~AlaneHilo - I think I'm sold on this Boric Acid idea. My poor male bits are really unhappy with the vinegar soaks I've been doing, and I really don't see anything happening with the coconut oil. It might be working, but I really can't tell if it's working fast enough.

Thanks again for the tip!

~Free2BeMe As for my blood sugar - you know, you really hit a chord there. There's a history of diabetes in my family, and although my doctor didn't mention anything about my blood sugar last time I went to see her it does sound like it might be something worth looking into.

Hmmm.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-12, 10:14

BF:
Progress:

~AlaneHilo - quick question, I wasn't able to find plain boric acid powder but I did notice that it's the main ingredient in my girlfriend's contact solution. Any idea if that's workable?
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-12, 11:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Don't know where you live but you can generally get it from a pharmacy in the US. You don't need a prescription, just ask the pharmacist. I use it to make my own ant bait. Last time they didn't have it in stock but they ordered it for me.

I was going to say, make sure your blood sugar is staying lowish, like 140 or under when you eat. Otherwise your yeast infection might be a symptom of diabetes.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-13, 17:49

Plan: my own
Stats: 190/180/185 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Andrew,

Have you tried out pinecone extract yet? It has worked for me. I also am on Udo's oil as a source of essential fats and I have been yeast free so far. I recommend you give it a shot.

I am interested to hear how the boric acid works for you, please keep me posted!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-23-13, 11:48

Plan: No specific plan
Stats: 185.0/171.8/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

I just wanted to add something - I see you cut out sugars from your diet, but sometimes you have to actually cut out *all* sugars; not just the processed variety. This means you can't have condiments, fruit, and a wide variety of items that sugar hides in (and that's all forms of sugar, too - fructose, etc). Have you looked up any formal Candida diets?
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-17, 12:24

Plan: Dr. G's
Stats: 295/247/220 Male 6' 2"
BF:
Progress:

I had a yeast infection that went all over my body: chest, rear crack, penis and testicles and everything inbetween. Not all at once, it moved around. None of the yeast medicines worked. I ended up making my own concoction that worked. Here it is (all measurements by volume; I recommend you get yourself a shot glass the has cm measurements on it).
100 cc raw coconut oil.
5 cc neam oil
5 cc tea leaf oil
5 cc cinnamon leaf oil.

Warm the coconut oil until it melts then mix in the other oils. Let set and solidify. If you see any oil on top if the set coconut oil, stir it up into the rest. Apply as neede to infected areas. You may feel a warm feeling for the 1st 15 minutes. It will go away. Do NOT apply near eyes. Wash your hands with soap after making the mix, the oils will stick to your fingers and end up in your eye if you don't wash.

All of the ingredients kill candida, including the coconut oil.

Regards,

DrDoc