Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-07-09, 00:21

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

This is terrific to know. Thank you for posting it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-09, 12:02

Plan: Atkins/HcG
Stats: 211/168/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Cholesterol/LDL levels

I'm sorry to butt in on your thread but I can't find where or how to post a new thread.

I received my bloodwork back from last week and I thought with this woe that all my levels would be EXCELLENT!!!! Ok, at least better than the last time I had them checked!!

Well, last July (08), I had my tests done and my cholesterol was 186, while my triglycerides were high at 167. This year my cholesterol is 211 and my tris are down to 120. HDL is good -- last year was 34, this year it's 53. But my bad cholesterol went from 119 to 134 which they recommend having the levels below 130.
I'm really hoping my dr doesn't want to put me on any medication. About 3 years ago it was just over 200 and she said we'd see what the numbers looked like the following year and if they weren't down, she was going to put me on medication. Well, I was able to get them below 200 for the last couple of years...until NOW!!!!
I don't believe I eat a lot of red meat and have cut way down on egg consumption.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has the same problem?!?!? What can I do to get the levels back down? I know we're suppose to eat "regular" foods and not fat-free or non-fat so that's what I do.

TIA for any info you can provide
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-09, 13:14
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 261/251/210 Male 72 in
BF:
Progress:
Default medication

"I'm really hoping my dr doesn't want to put me on any medication"
Are you not aware that you can say no? Say it with me, no,no, no!! See you can do it. Your doc will feign anger and wring her hands [she answers to the drug companies] but it is your body.BTW your numbers look fine to this layman.
Enjoy some red meat and eat eggs every day if you like them, both will make you a healthier, happier person. Do some research!!
be well
Art
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-15, 08:11
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%
Default Doctors are only practicing

Quote:
Originally Posted by artp3377
"I'm really hoping my dr doesn't want to put me on any medication"
Are you not aware that you can say no? Say it with me, no,no, no!! See you can do it. Your doc will feign anger and wring her hands [she answers to the drug companies] but it is your body.BTW your numbers look fine to this layman.
Enjoy some red meat and eat eggs every day if you like them, both will make you a healthier, happier person. Do some research!!
be well
Art

Doctors are not gods. They only do what they're told by their owners. Also, I've watched the rules change with the tides over my lifetime. First coffee is good for you, then it's bad for you, then it makes no difference. That applies to cholesterol and a plethora of other issues.

Have you noticed that the only thing doctors do now is order tests and prescribe? It's rare to fine a doctor who listens to the patient - the person who knows him/herself better than the doctor. We are an educated public, thanks to the internet. While all we read online isn't true, at least we can look at multiple opinions and make informed decisions based on the data.

With HMOs we are forced to have a PCP. I interview mine, and if I don't like what I hear, I go to a different doctor. I tell them that I treat myself nutritionally if at all possible and that I will NEVER take a statin. If they don't like it, that's too bad. I cannot be forced into treatment. Quality of life, not quantity is what I choose.

Doctors are people we pay to take care of our bodies and help us stay healthy and they don't know everything. They're still practicing.

rant over
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-01-09, 10:53
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyW
I received my bloodwork back from last week and I thought with this woe that all my levels would be EXCELLENT!!!! Ok, at least better than the last time I had them checked!!

If you read the first page or so of this thread it explains why your LDL levels go up and why it isn't anything to worry over. At least read the first page or so. I have a lot of info there that I posted so you can calculate your REAL LDL values and why you shouldn't be concerned anyway.

The only thing I wonder about is why your triglycerides are still > 100. If you're being faithful to your low carb diet and not cheating, or eating a bunch of fruit/fructose, then they shouldn't be that high. Do you drink a lot? I think that might account for the high triglycerides too.