Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-16, 09:28
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 194/160/130 Female 5' 1"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Eat when you are hungry?

But what happens if you are not hungry at all?

I am not complaining. After all, I am losing weight at great speed. I feel great. My fasting blood glucose is regularly in the 80s. My blood pressure is normal - without medication - for the first time in years. I no longer need my thyroid supplement. All Good Things.

But... I am NEVER hungry. Not a single little pang that tells me that it might be a good idea to eat. This week I have fasted most of the time other than a couple of mornings when I had my hot tea with heavy cream (3 Tbsp - big mug ). Yesterday I had about 500 calories: which was a breakfast of 2 rashers of bacon, 1 sausage link and an egg scrambled together with butter. I wasn't hungry for it, but I was going to have a busy day in town and "felt" I should stock up on a little fuel "just in case". I didn't feel any better or worse for it.

I guess I am asking whether I should just go with the flow and fast till I feel hungry (will I?) or whether I should be more organized and plan certain days when I eat, even if I am not hungry? I am a little uneasy about the first option, I have to say, although I can see nothing but good results. I am wondering about the "if it sounds too good to be true..."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-16, 10:02

Plan: Atkins/eating to my meter
Stats: 170/132/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 84%

I know exactly how you feel. I'm not one who can skip meals - my BG goes crazy and I get SO TIRED - so the lack of interest in food is a challenge. For the first few months the very thought of food made me feel sick.

I got through by eating small amounts of lower-fat foods, which I know isn't popular to say but needs must. I kept (and still keep) track of everything in Fitday to make sure I'm getting enough to eat. I eat a lot of chicken and fish, not so much beef and pork anymore, or I eat very small amounts of the fatty cuts. I use just enough butter, mayo or salad dressing to make things tasty - really as much as my stomach will handle. I keep raw Brazil nuts, walnuts and pecans around to round out the day when totals are going to be too low.

Fortunately things have evened out quite a bit, but I still can't tolerate a lot of fat most days. Some days are better than others; yesterday I had a few ounces of fatty pork roast, some ribs, and bacon and eggs and ended up over 1500 calories! But today feels like I will be back to "normal".

If your BG is stable with fasting and you have enough energy, eat when you are hungry. If you need more food, experiment!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-16, 15:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Wish I had your problems. When I was about a month into LC as you are I remember not being hungry, but true hunger did return for me. Not crazy blood sugar cravings, just gentle hunger from not eating.
You are well fat-adapted now and if you ask Dr Fung, he would see no problem at all with extended fasting. One overweight patient started with a three week fast. If you want to be reassured that not eating is safe, read his Fasting series on his blog. Other doctors might suggest some protein meals, similar to what you have done with the eggs and bacon. Dr Taylor in the UK has an 800 calorie/day plan to reverse diabetes. I think you should still go with the flow for now, but I am just some random person on the Internet with no medical background. Maybe read Dr Fung's info to learn more...26 part series on fasting: https://intensivedietarymanagement....history-part-i/
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-16, 16:18
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you. I guess I will just run with it while the good times last... I have the Obesity Code, spent some time reading that again today as well as watching some of Dr. Fung's videos. It just seems so strange to not feel any hunger at all.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-16, 16:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

After about six months I had the same issue. I was eating very, very little and still losing almost 2 pounds per week. Then my weight bumped up and it's been a battle since then. With 20/20 hindsight, I wished that I had exercised everyday, increased my need for calories and eaten more. Leading a basically sedentary life and getting more than half of my daily calories from body fat was a mistake, I think.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-16, 07:51
Registered Member

BF:

That is interesting, inflammabl. I have lost 30# in just under 2 months. I don't exercise, per se, but I do have a small farm which keeps me moderately active.

I think I might try doing just 24 hour fasts for the next week and see how that goes for me. I did have a small salad with beef last night. I couldn't eat it all, small as it was. I felt stuffed. I *am* loving this. After being hungry all the time (even when on pretty low carbs) it is bliss.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-16, 20:50

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

I've been going through phases: there are times when I have no appetite whatsoever, or can only eat very small portions. Then there are times when I do get rather hungry, and have to satiate it with avocado, a small amount of macadamia nuts, and then meat if I'm still hungry.

Now that I'm doing IF, the first meal I eat after breaking the fast tastes delicious! I don't necessarily eat a larger quantity than usual, but the food just tastes better. This is great, because I was starting to worry that I was losing my taste for food -- yes, I do want to eat less overall, but I want to enjoy what I do eat because it gives me motivation to cook and socialize.