Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 13:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Low Glycemic
Stats: 203/199/125
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Zero Carb Sweeteners

Be careful with powdered Splenda. It has dextrose and maltodextrins as fillers and respond like sugar in the body. They are high glycemic.

I know that Dr. Ann de Wees Allen (Glycemic Research Institute) is not a proponent of the Atkins diet, but she does have zero carb/low glycemic sweeteners on her website:
http://www.anndeweesallen.com
under "Dr. Allen's Products."

She also has zero carb sweetened coffee and tea. I think she also has an energy drink. I haven't tried it yet but I think I'll order some to try it.

The article she has on the coffee/caffeine
thermogenic connection was quite interesting.

I have ordered the Trutina Dulcem sweetener and it tastes like sugar. A little goes a long way. I think I'll order the Ki-Sweet also. Let you know how it tastes...

Steel's has maltitol in a 2lb. bag that is available on various low carb websites as well.

Hope this helps...

Misuzu
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 11:40
Registered Member

Plan: na
Stats: 225/212.5/180 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 28%
Angry Stevia

Is stevia banned in Canada? If so, I just purchased some (it's AWFUL) & will return it to the store for a refund. I looked ~ the Dr.'s products (above) and they are simply way too pricey for me. By the time I convert US- CDN $ i'm paying over $50 for 300g of sweetener (not incl. shipping)
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 12:10
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Did you get the clear liquid drops or the brownish green drops? The clear is much better. Stevia will never taste like real sugar, but it is good in things like cheesecake and chocolate. Straight in coffee, it can be blah but you get used to the taste. I used it for about a year in coffee.

Using it in conjunction with other sweeteners - and this works for all sweeteners - is best. With a combination of Splenda and/or Sugar Twin and/or stevia, you can use less of each because they work together synergistically to provide sweetness. When I'm making desserts, I start with a small amount of Splenda - say 2 Tbsp. - and liquid Sugar Twin or stevia - 1/4 - 1 tsp. or so and it gives great sweetening power.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 12:58
Registered Member

BF:
Smile

Thanks Karen. I can't seem to find Splenda in my area. I found a box of granulated powder at Dominion but it was $ 8 a box(i'm sorry, I'm not cheap... I'm on a budget! ) What about LIQUID Splenda?Anyone from GTA know where to get it? Thanks so verrry much -Nolly
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 13:04
Registered Member

BF:

P.S. Karen, that is an absoloutely fabulous & inspirational Mantra."Progress, not perfection" ! Everyone here is so positive & dedicated to helping each other...If it weren't for these forums I might have given up after my first week of induction! THANK YOU ALL!!-Nolly
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 13:43
Registered Member

BF:

I called Splenda about availability of the liquid form here in Canada & they said that there isn't a demand for it.(I saw the 3 page thread on Splenda in low carb product discussion) PLEEEEZE check this out if you have not already. Phone the # or visit the site...& tell them that LOW CARBING CANUCKS WANT LIQUID SPLENDA!!! Thanks, Nolly
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 13:47
Registered Member

BF:
Default Hi Everybody!

Hi Nolly and Karen!

I'm new too! This is a great site. Lots of great information and really nice, helpful people.

Steel's brand has maltitol that comes in a 2 lb bag. I've seen it on low carb websites. Haven't tried it yet....

I'll let you know if I come across more zero carb/low glycemic sweeteners.

Misuzu
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 14:14
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Nolly, you should be able to get liquid Sugar Twin where you live. 8 bucks for a box of Splenda seems a bit excessive. It's from 4-5 dollars here in Vancouver. Remember that if you want to go the sweetener route, you will be using very little of it or you might get into trouble if you are addicted to sweet tastes. It can be just as addictive as the real thing.

Quote:
Steel's brand has maltitol

Maltitol is a sugar alcohol that people have wildly varying results with. You can read more about it in Low Carb Tips at the top of the page in the article on Sugar Alcohols.

My stance on eating things like this is that if you feel yourself being compulsively drawn towards any food, that's the food you have to watch out for.

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 14:42
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Karen!

You are a wealth of knowledge!!! I visited your website.

I'm going to attempt the Baked Salmon Steaks with Parsley, Vermouth and Cream! Yummy!

I hope I do not have to flambe anything because I had a bad experience with that. (I singed off a few strands of my bangs!) I guess I shouldn't throw in 2oz of cognac and attempt to light it.

Just learning how to cook...

Misuzu

P.S. What can I order at an Indian restaurant that is low carb?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 15:16
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up Indian food

I got this list from a thread (I'm sorry but i can't remember where just now) I printed it out because my boyfriend is East Indian(I'm Italian & our food is a )and we loooove going to Indian restaurants. Here's a list of food that are O.K. :
Tandoori chicken;Lamb, beef or chicken curry;chicken Tikka or Masala;Raita;zukeni bhagi (stewed zuch.& yellow squash);Saag Panir(creamy spinach). Hope that helps. You can also try to find the thread on this subject.
-Nolly
P.S. I miss NAAN!!!!mmmmm....naan.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 15:32
Registered Member

BF:
Default when are they going to come out with low carb RICE - LOL!!!

Nolly,

Thanks for the reply! I LOVE Indian food. I hope someone comes out with low carb rice...

Misuzu
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 18:02
Registered Member

BF:
Smile

rice...mmmm.... If someone made L/C rice, I'd marry them!!!They'd also be a bazillionaire. HAHAHA
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 18:10
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

There is a recipe for Cauliflowered Rice...just check out the recipes section. BTW, I've never tried it, but others rave over it.

Elihnig
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 20:37
Registered Member

BF:

I'll check it out. I love rice & actually considered Somersizing because you can have it (brown , of course!) I used to LOVE making brown rice in chicken broth & adding some green string beans. Simple, but good. Oh well... no more of that. Just pork rinds & dips made with real mayo, cheese, cheese danish, cheesecake, real cream in coffee , hey... we're not missing much!!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 20:46
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Elihnig! I, like Susan, LOVE rice. Indian food just wouldn't be the same if I couldn't have rice, well, cauliflowered rice.

I look up the recipe and let you know.

Misuzu