Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 15:52

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%

Quote:
But, new discoveries are finding that beans are especially high in harful lectins that aren't cooked out of them...soy is one of the worst. And soy is in everything!

I've never heard that...I thought soy was good for you? Maybe I'll post a new thread b/c I would really like more info about this. Especially since you said that it keeps people from losing weight and I have a whole pot of chili w/ soy beans in my frig....ahhh.

Does anyone know more about this?

Erin
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 17:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/226/190
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hey Free,
Your sister needs to be careful....Get this...my wife is pregnant. when I started this she was incredibly supportive. She researched recipes and cooked...all the good stuff. Trouble is...she inadvertantly lost a couple of pounds by following MY DIET...when she should have been gaining.
So she is still skipping the refined sugars and white flour but eating more healthy carbs. Here normal size is very very small...5'4 and 100lbs.
Your assertion that your sister should see a Dr. before dieting is right on. The latest book from Atkins speaks to this as well.
Take care...
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 11:18

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%
Default Paleio Diet: Neanderthin

Hi Willy.
I'm on Neanderthin. He wrote a book that can be purchased through Amazon.com called "Neanderthin; Eat Like a Caveman to Acheive Health", or something like that. It's by Ray Audette, a member of MENSA and a guy who had diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis until he went out and found his own "cure." He discovered that the diet of our ancestors, before the advent of agriculture was the way our bodies were designed to eat and assimilate nutrients. All I eat is nuts, fruits, berries, meat, fish, fowl, leafy greens and anything that could be eaten if I was naked with a sharp stick, and nothing else to hunt or gather with. I eat nothing that has been processed, no grains, sugar, beans, legumes, or dairy. there are a few other things that i eat, and don't eat, but that pretty much sums it up. If you are interested in the scientific reasoning behind the paleolithic diet, you may want to check out www.paleodiet.com. It has more information than you could possibly read in a week, with many links to other like-minded scientific and dietary ways. Some of it gets pretty down on vegans, but, for the most part, it is a good read and highly informative. Like I said before, I have nothing against Dr. Atkins. I think he is responsible for saving lives, and turning around the unhealthy eating behaviors of millions of people. My brother has had marvelous results on Atkins, but he is the one who turned me onto Neanderthin and it's his book that I have read. Talk about a cheap diet! I didn't even have to buy the book! Since starting the WOE, I have no cravings (they went away in about a week-before they left, it was very hard). Now, I can go to a pizza parlour and sit and watch others wolf down pizza, beer, bread sticks, sodas...and I happily eat a salad with my own olive oil and lemon dressing mix that I invented, with some nuts sprinkled on top and maybe an egg thrown into the mix...and I don't feel the least bit deprived. Most people think I'm a nut...I'm a Neandernut! And a happy one, too.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 13:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 222/205/150
BF:
Progress: 24%
Wink

Dennis,
your post made me go hmmmm! So the diet thing kind of was not so good for your wife..If she had not been pregnant do you think the result would of been the same? I mean the concern not the out come? Curious. I give up trying to help my sis. For instance, we went to lunch just now.. She ordered what she wanted.. and then I ordered what I "could have" LOL.. it was what I wanted too..Anyhow, she picked out what ever I put to the side and pushed away any carbs like rice..after she had specifically asked for it.. I told her, she did not have to follow the diet with me like she did her husband for "support" I was strong and could handle. Needless to say when I stopped eating..so did she. People she might weigh 105 pounds here. She is a bone. So I came to the conclusion one of you guys posted earler..I don't think it is low body image but to be quit honest I think it is the attention factor more. Don't want the fat one eating less than she does. What on earth would people think?

Now Capt.
How on earth do you get "everything" organic? I mean, where do you shop? We do not have organic specialty shops around where I live. I am going to check out the site you mentioned..Anything to help me eat more healthy. You know gang when I started this venture it was all about loosing weight and looking good again. Now, the deeper I get and the more I research it has become about being the optimal me and fine tuning this body to perrrr likea kitten. I want to be thin but most importantly I want to be healthy. I know if I achieve health with low carbing and how I eat and excercise the rest will go along with it. Thanks all for the info.. I love it..more more..give me more.. LOL

FREE
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 13:47

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default The attention thing is definitely a modivator for some...

Here's my quick example:
My boyfriend and I always hang with this other couple, but sometimes it feels like they're competing with us...to justify money, where they live, etc. Once I started the WOL, they had to explain and explain that they had parents that did Atkins and that this was also a way, to a ceratin extent that they lived their lives. Once we came back from Christmas break, I had lost thirty lbs. by that point, they were like 'wow.' Guess what, they just started induction. It's not because they saw how much I had lost, it's like they were jealous of the lifestyle change, and the attention. I may not be explaining this as well, but I definitely agree. It's funny, I had no idea this "realm" of loosing weight. I never thought about the impact it would have on my friends and family. I genuinely though everyone would just be happy and love the way I looke. I realize that once you look a certain way, people don't really want you to change (atleast most). They may say that they do, but most don't and there are so many reason why they don't - jealousy, attention, and the changes it causes in their own lives.
It's almost like this WOL more than ever, allows me to not care what people think (b/c in most cases, the way they think of you has to do with the way they think themselves and your interactions with one another).
We all just need to stay strong,
Erin
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 13:57

BF:

Hey Free,
Great post.
You are right...the more we tend to get into this and begin to experience a change in our bodies the more the mind is spurred on to put the pieces together.
I have experienced in a very real way the power that I have over my OWN BODY. I control what goes into my mouth...it now becomes not about being thin...that is a result. For me it is about being 100% me. I have heard the word empowerment tossed around more times than I care to mention. Hearing it is not the same as understanding it, which is not the same as living it.
This experience over the last 5 weeks has been pretty powerful. I was ready for the change in my life...the low-carb decision was a route or a means to an end.
It provided the visable proof to me that I am in charge and the only person accountable for my life. I need support some times but it doesn't change the fact that I am accountable.
So what if my wife (when she isn't pregnant) can eat all kinds of carbs...her body type and metabolism can handle it. Mine cannot...That's a fact, not a fault.
I've stopped treating it as such and now lay off the big guilt thang.
What motivates us...good question. For me it's all of the above. For some reason the person we seem to know the least about is ourselves.
Thanks for getting back to me.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 17:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 222/205/150
BF:
Progress: 24%
Cool WOW!

Dennis,
You mean to tell me you are 40 % there and have only been doing this for 5 weeks. Good golly Miss Molly. Way to go brother. I wish I could see results like that. But, I can not complain really. I have on today a pre-prego outfit. Something that only a few weeks ago I could not get past my hips. The scale is not really saying much but my clothes now that is a different subject.
The cool thing is like you said Dennis I know I have control over my own body. I kind of just look at food now as a means for fuel for the car not as something that has to be plotted and planned and centered around. and so I am not really worried about what the scales say because I know with out a shadow of a doubt.. the weight will come off.. how fast and when I am not really studying anymore. I read all the success stories, they really boost my morale. I do wish I could say I lost 30 pounds in three months.. but only time will tell if it goes that way for me or not.

ERIN,
IS that not the most irritating thing? I mean I do not mean to sound whinny but it really gets under my skin.. She wails on about being fat and needing to loose weight. I told her...do you know how offensive it is to tell a fat person you are fat? I guess she does it on purpose.. it is just like you are talking about Erin with your friends.. it is almost like a competition. Now, the whole reason she bought the book was for her hubby who weighs in at 296.. who lasted on it for about two weeks. She followed the diet she said for support.. I don't have a thing against it if it helps her be a healthier person..but I don't see her going at anything with a healthy attitude.. it is always.. I am fat I must loose weight and the relentless advice...(and she really said this to me one time folks) " You know Deb I am not trying to hurt your feelings...but if you would eat more like me.. you might not be as big"
Now who is eating like who? Go figure.. I give up on her.. I myself have decided not to sweat her.. If she gains a better since of balance I will rejoice.. if not I guess I will be sadden. Anyhow... To each is own? right? How much excercise are you guys doing? You guys really inspire me..

FREE
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 17:45

BF:

Hey Free...
Your very welcome...
I'm keeping my exercise simple. I work in downtown Calgary, Alberta. I make sure when I have business outside of my building I walk...it amounts surprisingly to about 15 to 20 blocks a day. I used to take the train. I got bold and scheduled extra time to walk...I called it creative time. Something I always needed. I got sick of chaining myself to the desk. Part of the whole way of life thingy...trying to see the bigger picture.
I also row on my water rower every evening.
15 minutes for now...and boy do I feel it. I must still have plenty of muscles cause' man they hurt. I go at a good sustained clip and I plan on moving up to 20 minutes a night on the weekend. Gradually work up to 35 or 40 minutes. When I can sustain that for a while I'm going to treat my self to some weight equipment.
I'm going slow enough to manage the reduced energy I sometimes feel BUT....at a pace that allows me the odd carbo treat. Not sweets or anything but a up in the carbs department of about 20 grams.
I know I'm still getting those induction type symptoms like ketosis because my wife....god love her...tells me my breath smells odd. How charming! I think she is being kind.
Anyhoo gotta run...You on the right track....
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 20:59

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%
Talking Who said anything about "organic?"

Willy! Where did I say that I got everything organic? I am just a hunter and getherer in the local supermarket. I don't worry about organic...if I did, I'd probably die of starvation! I wash what I can off of my veggies, and eat plain old USDA "Cornfed" beef. I know, I know...I should be eating raw meat from wild elk, but even us hunters and gatherers got to make some concessions to the "real world." I wish I didn't have to eat meat that was from feedlots (considering how high in nasty lectins and phytates corn is, to say nothing for the fact that what they give the cows is the genetically messed up stuff that is unfit for human consumption), but I haven't got time to go out and spear a wild one and still make enough money to keep my family in shoes. I fish at the supermarket, too. Mostly from cans...Kippered Snacks are salty little (high in Omega 3 fats) wrigglies. I'm losing weight, and wishing I could be more "natural," but I do the best I can with the time I have. Don't we all? I stay away from dairy (all forms), grains (in all forms-I read labels-I especially stay away from corn and soy and wheat products), tubers (all of them) and all of the nightshades (peppers, potatoes, tobacco, yams, tomatoes, etc.) and eat everything else to my heart's content. I don't count anything...that's why I gave up on Atkins years ago...four times! Not that it's a bad diet...it isn't...I just hate to count.