Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-01, 14:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%
Default Questioning LC

We have a programme each evening here in NZ called "Holmes". It is kind of a low grade Larry King type thing.

Anyway last night the programme was looking at the "low carb diet fad".

A magazine here in NZ called "Consumer" which is renowned for doing completely objective assessments of consumer products, made an assessment of low carb diets.

Consumer magazine is normally very good and can be trusted as not biased, so I thought this will be interesteing.

But no - they completely slammed all LC diets saying they were unhealthy and some dangerously so.

I find it all rather confusing there seems to be two incredibly distinct lobbies - one pro low carb and one anti, no middle ground.

How does the lay person know what to believe

Lesley
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-01, 21:09
Registered Member

Stats: 272/190/165
BF:
Progress: 77%

I know how it makes one feel. The truth is that reporters don't have scientific training and are not going to be able to interview a broad selection of professionals, nor exclude individuals who simply have no training at all. Look at the amount of incorrect information is being taught in Health Classes in the US. There is actually more disinformation then information. We have kids scared of getting aids from toilet seats, and kids thinking there going to get the ebola virus from a mosqueto. Sorry about the tangent, but the truth is that Pseudo/Stupids have taken over publicity of science.. and some people have made names for themselves as scientists who have no professional or scientific training. Read the studies being published, its sad. Half of them would flunk my 8th grade science teachers lab report requirments. Where's the control group? Its overweight that led me to studies, and now that i read more and more... I came to a conclusion... there is some evidence backing up low-carb... an in 50 years of low-fat/high crap diets... there is awful evidence that conventional diets are causing cancer, heart disease, and diabedies risk increases. I have lost respect for so many people... and even major journals. The only one I trust anymore is "science"... and even they have kept their mouths shut outside of the fatscience article. Just like a thesis... when you read something on the net, make sure it has a source... hearsay has flooded this low-fat crap and it must stop here. I check the source.. see if the data can be valid... then see the results. So many lies.

Sorry about the extended message.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-01, 08:44

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

please don't apologize tecaddict! i really enjoy your insights!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-01, 15:21

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 210/182/160
BF:
Progress:

What Lesley didn't mention was the person that had lost the weight was the Deputy Prime Minister so you can imagine reporters would have asked how he lost weight. The only thing they showed of him was tucking into his tuna salad saying what's unhealthy about this? no questions about other meals and nothing at all about any health benifits (or not reported) like lower BP or cholesterol. One "expert " pointed out the "false" claims on the back of the Atkin's book of seeing amazing results in 14days.
It will be interesting to see if he contiues to loose and if any more comes of it. He has followed the Zone plan.
Yvonne (mumbunny)