Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-13-06, 14:12

Plan: my own
Stats: 136/135/125 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:estimate 23%
Progress: 9%
Default oh my gawd THIS is where i belong!!!

thank you thank you thank you!!! this is what i've been following thru trial and error recently. here i thought i made it up all on my own - but it seems this is an actual program. how cool is that!!! ok so what i've been doing is what i initially called "something between atkins and south beach, " where i've been eating lean proteins (all the fat on atkins sort of scared me), carbs under 50 grams and low fat (i don't add fat to anything, just have it in whatever meat i'm eating, or cheese, etc.). being that i'm a bodybuilder i wanted higher protein that what is normally recommended, i set myself at 1 gram per lb of weight, so i get anywhere between 130-150 a day. carbs at or below 50, usually below and fat is, well just what it is, i don't pay much attention to it. unfortunately i keep losing/gaining the same few lbs. i used to weigh 125 7 months ago i quit smoking and put on 10 lbs. however, i am muscular from all the heavy training. i'm trying to ditch the 10, seems impossible. currently starving myself at between 800-1000 calories. seems low but i have energy so what gives??? i was thinking of exchanging more carbs for protein and see what happens, but with my luck probably nothing.

ideas, anyone??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-13-06, 19:35
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi there, and welcome! Let me tell you from experience, when you don't have much weight to lose, it comes off slooowwwly! Patience, patience, patience. Are you tracking your weight trend? It's different than just tracking your scale weight every day.

Don't be afraid of fat - read, read read everything you can here about fat. It will not make you fat.

Starving yourself will make you hungry and if you lose weight, you'll gain it back later along with some extra. You're lifting heavily it seems, so you need calories. You don't want your metabolism to slow down.

Basically, what is recommended is that you replace carbs with fat, not protein. High protein/low carb/low fat can cause problems - and for the life of me, I can't recall what they are! How helpful. So here, read this: http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/fat-not-protein.html

Congrats on quitting smoking! I quit too, in January. Best thing I've ever done for myself!

Anyway - slow down. Don't worry about the weight coming off so fast. This WOE is a lesson in patience - and it pays off with better health for most of us. Weight loss is a nice side effect of a healthier bod
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-14-06, 10:10

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Not only is Protein Power a real program--there are actual honest-to-god real books about how to follow it, written by actual real medical doctors.

Protein Power
The Protein Power LifePlan
Staying Power
The 30-Day Low Carb Diet Solution

and others, including exercise programs and cookbooks. Happy exploring!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-15-06, 12:18

Plan: my own
Stats: 136/135/125 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:estimate 23%
Progress: 9%

thanks for the link - going there now!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-15-06, 16:34

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffed1
i'm trying to ditch the 10, seems impossible.

It took me FOREVER to lose the last few pounds! I'd been battling them since October of last year! Certainly a lesson in frustration!

Then just recently, things have definitely picked up for me again...can't figure out what I'm doing differently...so I don't want to change too much!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-07, 15:21

Plan: various
Stats: 250/223.5/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Here is why you should not go low fat/lean meat only

Look to Steffanson if you are tempted to go "low-fat". Vilhjalmur was a anthropoloist interest in diets of other people. " He joined the Angol-American Polar Expedition and traveled to the Arctic " (Living the Low-Carb Life). He made several trips. In 1908 he stayed for 4 years and in 1913 he stayed for 5 years. He lived with the Eskimos and ate as they ate. He felt grand, expect for one time when he could only get lean meat. He fell sick but the sickness quickly resolved with the reintroduction of fat to his diet. At one point he particiapted in a study. For one year, he and a friend named Dr. Karsten Anderson, became lab mice for a meat only experient. It was conducted at Bellevue Hospital in NY City. Anderson did very well and there were no ill effects of eating meat all day everyday. He is a little about the Bellevue Diet Experiment.

From Bowen's Living the Low-carb life-Page 18 of the hardback

"One interesing sidebar: Anderson was able to eat anything he liked as often as he wanted, provided that it came under the experimental definition of meat: steaks, chops, brains fried in bacon fat, boiled short ribs, chicken, fish, liver and bacon. But because Stefansson had reported in one of his books, My Life With The Eskimo, that he had become very ill when he had to go two or three weeks on just lean meat ("caribou so skinny that there was no appreciable fat"), DuBois, who headed the experiment, sugested that for a while they try a lean-meat only diet on Stefansson to contrast the results with those of Anderson, who was eating whatever mix of fat and meat he felt like. They continued to give Anderson as much fat as he liked, but Steffanson was limited to chopped fatless meat.

Stefansson wrote:

The symptoms brought on at Bellevue by an incomplete meat diet (lean without fat) were exactly the same as in the Arctic, except that they came on faster-diarrhea and the feeling of general baffling dicomfort. Up north the Eskimos and I had been cured immediately when we got some fat. DuBois now cured me the same way, by giving me fat sirloin steaks, brains fried in bacon fat and things of that sort. In two or three days I was all right, but I had lost considerable weight. If yours is a meat diet then you simply must have fat with your lean; otherwise you would sicken and die."

The following is my summary of the pages from 10-20 of the book:

Later in life, he had adopted a western diet. He fell off the wagon! Here is a little about that. He had a mild cerebral thrombosis. He had gained some weight. He and the Mrs. went on the Eskimo diet. They ate meat, eggs, an occasional grapefruit. Drank freshly ground coffee and an occasional wine. According to Mrs. Stef - he lost 17 pounds, Went from irritable and depressd to being "his old ebullient, optimistic self", his arthritis disappeared, hip and shoulder pain disappeared.

Hope this helps and please ignore the typos.

Dawn
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-29-07, 18:04

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Waywardsis, thanks so much for the link to this article. I'm coming back to lowcarbing after a year and even though I've done this before and know it works and know that fat does not make you fat, I was still a bit scared, as my Fitday totals show I am at about 65% fat as opposed to the 30% I've been doing. That scared me a bit, but according to the article, I'm exactly where I should be!

Tam