Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-10, 16:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 146/126/118 Female 60
BF:35% bf
Progress: 71%
Default Help with measurements plz

I am doing Induction at the moment, and just wanted to clarity that a 'cup' of salad veg is our equivilant of a mug full of salad stuff from the list?

Or what is the weight?

Just a bit baffled by the American cup versions.

I just got a regular coffee cup out my cupboard and filled it loosly with veg from the list and have been doing that for the last couple of days! I hope its not wrong!

Thanks for stopping by and helping!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-10, 21:10

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

According to "The New Atkins for a New You", which just came out, a serving of salad veggies is approximately the size of your first. They recommend that 12-15 carbs of your allowed 20 net carbs should come from salad and cooked veggies. This equates to a generous allowance of six cups (or fist-sized portions) of salad veggies and two cups of cooked veggies.

I find it very difficult to overeat salad. Enjoy!

P.S. - I recommend you get and read the new book. It will increase your understanding of how and why the diet works.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-10, 01:28

Plan: Vegetarian LC
Stats: 148/137/132 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MumOf2
I am doing Induction at the moment, and just wanted to clarity that a 'cup' of salad veg is our equivilant of a mug full of salad stuff from the list?

Or what is the weight?

Just a bit baffled by the American cup versions.

I just got a regular coffee cup out my cupboard and filled it loosly with veg from the list and have been doing that for the last couple of days! I hope its not wrong!

Thanks for stopping by and helping!

You can use a converstion chart for most foods online i.e. cup into grams. However it is more difficult to find accurate ones for vegetables. It also depends on the actual food that you wish to weigh out.

You could also purchase a set of cups from Tesco's which are very inexpensive and are also handy for making muffins if you really want to have very accurated weight. I actually only use mine when making muffins and prefer to use scales which are far more accurate.

I mesured 1 US cup of water into a standard UK mug and the former filled the latter by 3/4.

I never used cups to mesure salad ingredients when I was on induction and just served up smaller portions.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-10, 05:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 146/126/118 Female 60
BF:35% bf
Progress: 71%

I do have some Atkins books; I have a latest one fronWHSmith, I didn't see anywhere where it said 6 cups of salad veggies. Sounds like i'm underesting as I've been 'giving' myself only 3 per day.

Why 12-15 carbs per dsy what about the other 5 ifyou can have20 net carbs on induction?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-10, 08:50

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MumOf2
I do have some Atkins books; I have a latest one fronWHSmith, I didn't see anywhere where it said 6 cups of salad veggies. Sounds like i'm underesting as I've been 'giving' myself only 3 per day.

Why 12-15 carbs per dsy what about the other 5 ifyou can have20 net carbs on induction?

See page 94, "Induction Guidelines", as to the allowances for salad and veggies. You are replacing the carbs which were previously in your diet with high quality, fresh, low carb salad and cooked veggies which provide fiber, minerals, phytochemicals, and water - when it comes down to it. You were probably already eating protein and fat before Atkins, and now you're making them the mainstay of your diet. But eating your salads and veggies will make Atkins much more livable than subsiding solely on eggs, meat, cheese, cream, butter and pork rinds. Trust me.

This is the foundation from which you will gradually add in other foods after Induction (Ongoing Weight Loss). The other 5 carbs will consist of items like cheese, cream, occasional meal replacement bars or shakes, soy or almond milk, tofu, lemon/lime juice, salad dressings, sauces, etc. as listed in the book.

Good luck! Keep us posted on how it goes. A journal is helpful.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-10, 12:02

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

If you prefer to weigh foods rather than use a measuring cup you can use this website to see how heavy a cup of many foods weighs
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

You can also download a version to use when not online
http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=5720