Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-12, 20:49

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 267/160.8/170 Female 5feet7inches
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Fibroids?

Hi Everyone! If I am disclosing too much, I'm sorry. I figure this is the right forum for it.

I have been LC for over a year now. Though I struggled through the holidays a little, I am dedicated to this WOE for life.

Last year I was diagnosed with uterine fibroids. The OB/GYN told me, at the time, that they were no big deal and that I shouldn't worry about them. I kind of filed that information in the back of my head.

Two months ago I saw my GP to discuss going off my birth control and trying to conceive. After reading all of my health information he gave me the greenlight.

I waited until I had a full menstrual period (which showed up right on time), and then my husband and I began trying.

A couple of days ago I was talking about the subject with my hubby and we decided to look up "fibroids and pregnancy" online. NOW I'm scared.

I spent all day trying to reach my doctor or at least make an appointment. I finally got an appointment for a week and a half from now, but that is doing nothing to ease my mind.

SOOOOOO...anyone else here have fibroids? Did you have them before your pregnancies? Did they affect you before, during, or after? What are your experiences?

Thank you for reading!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-12, 21:51
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Some information you need to have before you totally freak yourself out
How many, how big, and exactly where are the location of your fibroids?
This can be determined by a uterine u/s. Depending on the size and location, your OB may have told you correctly...not a big deal--with pregnancy. Also, what is your age, past pregnancy history, and GYN history. The other thing that I would want to know, is how did you find out you had fibroids--where you having some gynecological issues, or were they diagnosed during an u/s for another issue?

Please don't freak out (one of the reasons why I hate the internet in some cases). Just because you have fibroids does not mean that you cannot have a "normal" pregnancy. You need more information from your OB/GYN.

I hope this helps you a bit. You need more info.

Lisa

BTW--I peeked at your gallery---you are looking fantasitc!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-12, 23:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
Some information you need to have before you totally freak yourself out
How many, how big, and exactly where are the location of your fibroids?
This can be determined by a uterine u/s. Depending on the size and location, your OB may have told you correctly...not a big deal--with pregnancy. Also, what is your age, past pregnancy history, and GYN history. The other thing that I would want to know, is how did you find out you had fibroids--where you having some gynecological issues, or were they diagnosed during an u/s for another issue?

Please don't freak out (one of the reasons why I hate the internet in some cases). Just because you have fibroids does not mean that you cannot have a "normal" pregnancy. You need more information from your OB/GYN.

I hope this helps you a bit. You need more info.

Lisa

BTW--I peeked at your gallery---you are looking fantasitc!

First of all, thank you for the compliment. Always nice to hear.

I had two ultrasounds last year because I had a rather large ovarian cyst. Thankfully, the second ultrasound showed that it had gone away completely. The fibroids were discovered in the first ultrasound. The rest of the information I have is sketchy because I was trying to get ANYONE at my doctor's office to give me more info, and it was hard to come by.

1st Ultrasound was in May. I think there were two of them (leiomyoma), the largest being 2.3 (cm, I assume?). They were in the "right lateral aspect".

2nd Ultrasound was in July. The largest was 3.4 (again, I assume cm). As far as I know the other information was the same.

I am in my late twenties, no children (no prior pregnancies that I am aware of). I have never had any other serious gynecological issues, assuming something like a yeast infection or a UTI doesn't count.

I am HOPING that someone from my doctor's office will call me back tomorrow who actually knows what the heck I am saying and can help give me information. I will post more then if I get it.

Thank you for your help!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-12, 13:06

BF:

I got a call from my doctor. I didn't really get any more information. The largest fibroid is near the top of my uterus.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-12, 15:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248.3/225.7/130 Female 67 in
BF:
Progress: 19%

I have one also- towards the top of my uterus. My Dr. also told me that I shouldn't be concerned about it and that it should be fine...