Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 16:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 214/194/155
BF:
Progress: 34%
Question 3quick questions

Make that three quick questions.

1- We are having a pizza party tonight at a friends house. Am I okay if I just eat the toppings, or is that not a good thing?

2- I had one of those Atkins indulge bars, it said 17 g of carbs, but only 2 digestable carbs, that sounds like a load of crap to me, so I only ate half of it, and it kind of cured my wanting something sweet. Is it okay to have those every once in awhile or is the digestable carbs thing truly a load of crap? (I am still on induction by the way, week 3)

3- I went and bough supplements finally today, mainly because I haven't been feeling very good, and I thought it might be because my body is lacking some vitamins. I got a one-a-day multi, a potassium, a calcium-magnesium-zinc, and a vitamin c. Plus I got these metamucil capsules that are like mainly made up of psyllium husks (I've been a little stopped up down there )
Does that sound like a good start to the vitamin regimen??? I've never been a big supplement person, so if I can take all these I feel like I will be accomplishing a great deal.

Well those are my three questions. Thanks for any feedback... Sometimes it seems all I do is ask questions. I just really want this WOE to work for me and I figure y'all are a great resource!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 16:29

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I've eaten just pizza toppings too. I imagine it's fine, but you might want to fill up on a little salad or something as well, as it took a lot of topping to satisfy my hunger.

A lot of people say the digestible carb thing is crap. What I've learned by reading others' experiences is that it's truly an individual thing. So, you just have to see how it treats you. I also make my own Splenda jello for a taste of something sweet.

Those supplements sound lovely. You seem to know what's up, so I think you'll start to feel better with that good dose of vitamins.

Happy low-carbing!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 17:41

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%
Smile

1. Pizza toppings minus pineapple and any excess sauce should be fine. But I agree, if possible, load up on a salad too. Also some pizza places offer hot wings. Just ask for the sauce on the side as it stalls some people.

2. Digestable carb tolerance is individual but it's not a load of crap. All it is is the subtraction of fiber.

The tolerance to the low-carb bars is individual as well. They stall me. I opt for cinnamon and splenda pork rinds, frozen whipped topping, sugar free jello, mock danishes and things like that to cure my sweet tooth.

3. Your suppliments look good. Check your multi-vitamin's vitamin C levels. Mine has 150% of the daily recommended amount. If your's does too I think taking an extra one is overkill. Others might disagree. I don't think the added vitamin C will hurt you, but I don't know that it will help either.

Questions are good. Better to be informed.

Good luck to you!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 18:45

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

1. I had pizza toppings for dinner last night.

2. The problem with the bars is that they contain glycerine (or glycerol, a sugar alcohol, not fibre). Some people can lose just fine with an occasional bar, but other people stall. And the more often you eat them, the more likely a stall. If you stop losing, cut them out before anything else.

3. The supplements look good, including psyllium which should help the intestinal problem. I take a gram of Vitamin C daily (1000 mgm) but you can go by "daily requirements" if you prefer. Since it is water-soluble, any excess that your body doesn't need is flushed out.

Induction is supposed to be 2 weeks and then you move up by 5gm of carbs daily, but I notice you say "I am still on induction by the way, week 3". If you don't increase the carbs and determine your personal CCLL, then you will have no lower carb level to go back to when your body adjusts to the new regime.

You've had a good loss so far. Hope it continues - but be prepared that it slows down after the first 2 weeks. A pound a week is still success.

#5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 21:52
Registered Member

Stats: 214/194/155
BF:
Progress: 34%

Thanks to all for the replys.

I appreciate all the info I can get.

Tofi- I thought Atkins said you could stay on induction for awhile longer if you had a lot of weight to lose. Is staying on induction for awhile really going to mess me up in the long run? I was going to stay on induction till I got to the 170's.... then I was going to slowly start adding some carbs back in.... will this be okay???

Thanks for taking the time to answer!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 22:14

Stats: 287/240/140
BF:
Smile Keep going

Hi LaneyBeth,

I am starting week-9 of induction and I intend to keep going at it until I reach 200lbs. I think it is feasible. Anyone else out there still at 20g carbs a day after weeks of induction?

#7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 11:05
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

Musika,The Boyfriend and I can count on one hand the number of times we've passed 20g/day, and we've been on Atkins since 8/27/02. Actually, we've found it rather hard to get past that number without adding in fruits, nuts, low-carb desserts, or a glass or two of wine. All the veggies we like are low-carb, so we're still under 20g even though we eat generous helpings of two different vegetables at lunch and dinner both. TB is having a tough time losing, so I'm "keeping him company" by not adding back in the higher-carb foods.

I've actually started wondering if Atkins isn't being a little overly strict by counting total carb grams instead of distinguishing between carbs from green veggies and those from other foods (fruits, cheeses, nuts). I haven't really seen anyone be stalled from eating too many green veggies. Do any of the other plans specifically address differences in how veggie-carbs are treated?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 16:48

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Induction...

I have never understood the reasoning behind going off induction. From what I understand, most people stay in ketosis under 50 grams of carbs (again individual).

The last time I lc'd, I stayed in induction for 7 weeks until I had to start doing something physical (work). Then I had to add a litt. I added about 40 more grams of carb and stayed stalled out where I was the rest of the time I was on low carb. But it didn't really make the hard physical stuff any easier.

So, since I am not doing the same job anymore and am at a desk job now, I am not intending to go off induction until I reach my goal weight. Then I will slowly go into maintenance. Hope that helps!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 20:54

Plan: Atkins (modified inductio
Stats: 232/181.5/145 Female 5ft 81/2in
BF:
Progress: 58%

My husband and I went on Atking also on 8/27/02. We are both still on induction...we average bout 15-20 carbs per day. I am not going off induction till I reach 20lbs above my goal weight. Which I have 20lbs to go. I just started eating the Atkins bars. Had one yesterday and today for breakfast. Weigh day is Tuesday will let you know... Have a Great Low Carb Day
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 11:21

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:

As I said above, there inothing inherently wrong about staying on Induction levels if you are feeling well. But if you ever stall, it leaves you no lower level to go back to in order to get losing again.

I hope you all do well and don't run into a stall. Until then.

#11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 14:10
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hi Laneybeth-

I'm staying at induction levels, or very close, until i'm down another size... then starting the next phase to get to goal.

Although i'm trying not to be as strict with myself (this week) since when I eat more I lose and when i'm my normal dieting anal retentive self I stall.

I kind of count carbs such as cheeses, decaf, creams, dressings, splenda, nuts and only have up to 15 carbs a day (mostly that is easy now) and then all the veggies (the induction freindly veggies of course) that I want. I must admit I do mostly stay within the 3 cup a day rule though...

But I think from reading everyones journals that everyones body is so different you really have to do what is right for you.

Regarding the bars - I have had the bars and I feel like i'm cheating but I think when you are dying for a cheat a legal one is better then not. My snacks are pepperoni chips, pecans (20 only are about 1.5 carbs), and a diet soda for sugary taste now and again.

Pizza toppings - should be ok just remember that cheese has about 1 carb an oz and sauce has some sugar in it... so be cautious about volume of eating.. but you do live in the real world so try TRY to make the best choices you can and then go to the next issue.

Vitamins sound great- I take a multi vitamin and 2 fiber capsules a day and feel great.

Have a great night!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 18:26

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

I've been at 20gr since April of this year..lost almost 50lbs and also have a hard time getting much higher then that...I will start to add carbs once i get below 200lbs and up my exercise even more...nothing wrong with staying on induction...and if you stall on long term induction..ADDING carbs shakes things up and gets you losing again...you dont have to go 'lower' for that to happen
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 13:30
Registered Member

Plan: Adaptive
Stats: 220/220/155
BF:N/A
Progress: 0%
Default 20 carbs???

Did I miss something... I thought induction was 10g of carbs a day... including veggies. I have been keeping it around there ususally 9-11g per day. Where did the 20g come from?
~Fooz
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 13:33
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I never read the past Atkins books but the new revolution has 20 as induction.

How to do induction:
http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2001/12/15-238691.html

Here are the allowable foods:
http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html

Last edited by lkonzelman : Thu, Nov-07-02 at 13:38.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 14:08

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

I have no idea where you got 10 from..induction is 20 gr of carbs a day max with only foods off the acceptable list