Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-07, 14:40

Plan: Ketogenic/Paleolithic
Stats: 310/179/175 Male 71
BF:44%/6%/5%
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoneMitch
Great post Muata,

I believe in the wisdom of the body...so I eat saturated fat and few carbs.

Then my body can burn his favorite fuel for energy.

Dr Ellis is a real expert in biochemistry.

Thanks Mitch and I couldn't agree with you more. Many "so-called" weight loss experts can't even control their own weight. LOL! When you fully understand the process, you should have the results, like we do, to show for it. Great job on your success so far. I love to see someone who tracks and reduces their body fat %.

Oh, I wanted to also mention that while the Japanese have the title for living the longest today, which many people (erroneously I might add) say it's because of their low-fat, high carb diet. The second longest living folks are the Swedes, who consume large amounts of animal fat, and they are second by only two months! Hell, maybe someone should write a book called The Swedish Diet for Longevity . . . any Swedes on the forum
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-07, 01:49

Plan: Dr Greg Ellis
Stats: 10/10/10 Male 186 Cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muata
I guess I'll throw my hat into the ring, but I'd like to take a different approach. If saturated fats are bad and unhealthy for us, why is it that this is the exact form of fat that our body stores for reserve energy? I encourage everyone do net searches, wikipedia, whatever to find out the composition of the fat in your body. I think you'll be surprised that it's saturated animal (yes we're animals) fat. OK, to flesh this out a little more. When your insulin and glucose levels are at their basal/fasting levels, either 4-6 hours after a meal or overnight, fat cells are allowed to release FFA into your blood stream which your liver turns into ketones for your body to use as energy. So, according to our physiology, we all consume saturated fat, our fat, on a daily basis.

I won't even mention how good ole Dr. Ancel Keyes, cherry picked the seven countries in his study. He had data available from 21 countries at the time, but only chose seven, and those seven just happened to support his lipid hypothesis while the others were totally ignored! Hell, as Anthony Colpo mentioned in his book The Great Cholesterol Con, if Dr. Keyes would have chosen to use: Finland, Israel, Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, France, and Sweden instead of Italy, Greece, Former Yugoslavia, Netherlands, Finland, U.S.A., and Japan he would have obtained the exact opposite result--which is, the more saturated fat and cholesterol consumed, the lower the risk of CHD!

This debate continues because people are ignorant of human fuel metabolism. In addition, the studies that show saturated fat being bad is always in conjunction with a high carb intake, which is the worst possible diet one can follow. Show me one study (animal or human) that shows saturated fat being linked to obesity, cancer, or even CHD when following a diet of less than 25% carbs. As Dr. Ellis has mentioned in his books, the majority of research out there looks at man the carbohydrate-eater and not man the fat-eater.

SATURATED FAT IS NOT BAD FOR US
why start a discussion i fully agree with you!!!
why does everyone think i'm saying the opposite???????,

Quote:
which is, the more saturated fat and cholesterol consumed, the lower the risk of CHD!

true, but remember that dietary cholesterol has nothing to do with cholesterol in your blood

its is a high LDL with a high particle size that is bad, thats what i'm trying to say as some quacks are saying a LDL is never bad
  #153   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-07, 07:11

WesleyT, my post wasn't addressed to you. You're following Dr. Ellis's UDS, so of course you don't believe saturated fat is bad for you. My comments were directed towards Whoa182. I didn't quote you or even mention your name, so why did you assume I was addressing you directly?

Also, what's with all the screaming?
  #154   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-07, 11:37
Registered Member

Plan: DiPasquale Radical Diet
Stats: 301.5/260.2/260 Male 71
BF:25%/?%/15%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyT
Ravnskov claims that he's shown "that there is little or no evidence that blood cholesterol plays any role at all in coronary heart disease." This is an exaggeration typical of his bombastic approach to argumentation.

I think Ravnskov is correct and so does Anthony Colpo. Both wrote entire books addressing the issue and conclude that blood cholesterol does not cause heart disease and even use existing research and studies to support their position, albeit with different conclusions. Conclusions that they carefully explain why they are right and the other guy is wrong. How is writing an entire book to support your conclusions in any way 'bombastic"?

Quote:
One of his favorite tactics is to raise possibilities that favor his interpretation and ignore all other possibilities. For example,...,snip.

I disagree. What he does is show why the cause of heart disease is related to blood cholesterol, the current favorite. The other 'possibilities' are mentioned as possible candidates and confounding factors to the major medical's favorite son, cholesterol.

Quote:
LDL Cholesterol as a Strong predictor of coronary Heart disease in diabetic individuals with insulin resistance and low LDL : The Strong Heart Study
Citaat:
A 10-mg/dL increase in LDL cholesterol was associated with a 12% increase in CVD risk. Thus, even at concentrations well below the National Cholesterol Education Program target of 130 mg/dL, LDL cholesterol is a strong independent predictor of coronary heart disease in individuals with diabetes, even when components of diabetic dyslipidemia are present. These results support recent recommendations for aggressive control of LDL cholesterol in diabetic individuals, with a target level of <100 mg/dL.

If you read the language used, "associated with" and '"strong independent predictor", it does not indicate that LDL cholestol is a causing heart disease. This is an important distinction. (also, as this is a study about individuals with diabetes, it is not very applicable to 'normal healthy' people.) Because of other evidence and reasoning supplied in books like Ravsnov and Colpo it suggests that agents (there can be more than one) that cause heart disease also can affect blood cholesterol. But it is VERY clear from the evidence that not all people with high blood cholestrol develop heart disease, and not all people with heart disease have high cholesterol.

Regards
  #155   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-07, 07:01

Plan: Dr Greg Ellis
Stats: 10/10/10 Male 186 Cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muata
WesleyT, my post wasn't addressed to you. You're following Dr. Ellis's UDS, so of course you don't believe saturated fat is bad for you. My comments were directed towards Whoa182. I didn't quote you or even mention your name, so why did you assume I was addressing you directly?

Also, what's with all the screaming?

i'm srry
  #156   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-07, 07:35

Quote:
i'm srry

No problem bro . . .
  #157   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 13:33
Registered Member

Plan: Peskin
Stats: 195/167/165 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

I agree that most PUFA's go rancid quickly,
Agree.

if it is generally understood that when people say "poly's" they are referring to omega-6's only, then thank you for the clarification.
Maybe. But in what form? To me PUFAs are any fatty acids that are unsaturated.

I didn't feel the need to break down the health benefits of ALA's vs. EPA and DHA (I agree with you)
Yes, but the body converts ALA to EPA and DH as needed which is around 5% or less. Supplementing with derivatives of parent EFAs such as EPA amounts to using them as a drug.

but I think you'll also agree that Omega-3's (regardless of their sub-class) are healthier than omega-6's.
You just acknowledged that PUFAs go rancid easily which they do. It is generally accepted that the biggest source of omega 6 in our diet is vegetable oils. But vegetable oils are not a good source of biologically active parent omega 6 and they were never intended to be. Vegetable oils are sold for taste, cooking and use for salad dressings etc. That is why you will never see a label that makes a claim for minimum (or any) EFA content because it is probable that by the time the product is consumed it contains little biologically active parent omega 6 but lots of adulterated (read toxic and unusable) omega 6. This little fact is typically ignored by those who research omega 6. Guess what oil is used for most research - corn oil. The extraction of corn oil requires high hydraulic pressure, high heat and solvents. Plus the oil is exposed to light which makes it go rancid up to 1000 times faster than oxygen. If you use rancid corn oil or any other source of adulterated omega 6 you would expect to get a negative result.

But the central issue is that both parent omega 3 and parent omega 6 must be present at the same time and in the correct ratio in the body in order to assess their effect. Otherwise the results serve to confirm nothing more than the effects of unbalancing omega 3 and 6.
  #158   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-07, 07:50
Registered Member

Plan: anthony colpos
Stats: 180/171/171 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress:

If saturated fat is a heart harming substance then WHY has saturated fat restriction REPEATEDLY FAILED to lower CHD or total mortality in clinical dietary intervention trials?

If LDL "causes" atherosclerosis then WHY have autopsy and angiography/ebt studies shown NO CONNECTION between total or LDL cholesterol levels and extent of atherosclerosis?

These are two points Anthony Colpo brings up.

P.S. Anthony Colpo is the guy who is correct not Dr. Eades.
  #159   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-07, 09:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razwell
If saturated fat is a heart harming substance then WHY has saturated fat restriction REPEATEDLY FAILED to lower CHD or total mortality in clinical dietary intervention trials?

.... and if sat fat is sooooo bad, why do our bodies use it to store our excess energy. In times of "feast" it actually goes to the trouble of turning all the carbs and extra food we eat into sat fat and padding our bodies with it, so we can use it when we hit times of "famine"!
  #160   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-07, 03:06

Plan: Self-Enlightened Man
Stats: 240/220/220 Male 100 Feet Tall
BF:

Ello friends and mongers

A song by HunterMan

Cows are fat, very very fat
Gorillas and Hippos are fat too
Plus their ugly as a rat
Because they don't eat Fat

Not like the Cat
The Cat ate Fat
But was muscley armed and not Fat

Ignoring that fantastic song The bottom line is that why live a hundred years as a sheep rather the one as a lion, no matter what, you will die and you legacy could be either 'Oh he or she lived for so long and accomplished so little' OR 'Oh he or she lived for a short time but accomplished so much'.

Eating lots of fat/meat and calories gives ones character the assertiveness and determination to accomplish their lives goals in a timely manner and leave no regrets.

Life is too short even if you live to 1000, do what you must today for tomorrow is no guarantee
  #161   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-07, 04:54

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%

Page 72 of Gary Taubes' book "Good Calories Bad Calories" talks about the Nurses Health Study, a massive, long-term study of the diets and health of a huge number of nurses. (don't want to make up numbers, trust me, it was a lot of nurses)

One finding they came up with was that for every 5% of increase in saturated fat calories replacing carbohydrate calories, the risk of breast cancer reduced by 9%.

Most of the fat-heart hypothesis, especially the fat-cholesterol-heart studies were done on men. When you do an analysis of the studies on women, it seems to point to the higher the cholesterol, the greater the overall longevity. Low cholesterol in all of the studies points to a higher overall mortality. They just don't highlight that in their study summaries because it goes against the accepted wisdom.

Read the book, it's quite good.

Plane
  #162   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-07, 09:16
Registered Member

Plan: Peskin
Stats: 195/167/165 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

Yes, Taubes book, 'Good Calories, Bad Calories', is very good.

As a general rule low fat diets are associated with increased mortality. More interesting is that Taubes points out that research has shown that replacing saturated fat with polyunsaturated fat is associated with an increased incidence of cancer. This makes sense because the vegetable oils that are a major source of PUFAs in our diet are adulterated and thus not the same as the biologically active LA and ALA that are the essential fatty acids and which we need only a small amount in our diet.
  #163   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-07, 10:28

Plan: Self-Enlightened Man
Stats: 240/220/220 Male 100 Feet Tall
BF:

People, People

Saturated fat is bad for You, when anybody finds Mr.You please tell him or her that.

On the other hand saturated fat is good for virtually every other human being, and honest independent studies prove that again and again.

Tell anyone from an unmodernized, uncorrupted native group not to eat animal fat and they'll flip you with their super human strength upside down landing savagely on your good for nothing butt, laugh at how humorously ignorant you are and then go on to live happy and eventful lives until they pass away peacefully in bed at the age of five hundred and fifty.