Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-12, 15:07

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default New Book for Athletes

New Book by Dr. Steve Phinney and Jeff Volek,

http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Scien...e/dp/0983490716

Publication Date: April 1, 2012
A Revolutionary Program to Extend Your Physical and Mental Performance Envelope.

Our recent book 'The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living' was written for health care professionals, championing the benefits of carbohydrate restriction to manage insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, and type-2 diabetes.

In response, our athlete friends asked "What about us?"

This companion book is our answer, and it could be titled: 'The Art and Science of Avoiding the BONK'.

But actually, it is much much more than that. The keto-adapted athlete benefits from superior fuel flow not only when nearing glycogen depletion, but also during training, recovery, and in response to resistance exercise as well.

"On a well designed ketogenic diet as recommended by Jeff and Steve, I consume up to 4200 Calories per day while maintaining 6-7% body fat. This transformation has increased my power to mass ratio and allows a high level of performance in a range of activities. Equally if not more important is the efficiency with which I operate in every facet of my life. My energy level in the keto-adapted state is constant and nver undulates." Tony Ricci, MS, CSCS, LDN, CISSN, CNS. High Performance Coach/Sports Nutritionist

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Apr-15-12 at 15:58.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-16-12, 06:25

Plan: Keto IF
Stats: 275/242.8/192 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default No comments for a month

Quote:
New Book by Dr. Steve Phinney and Jeff Volek
A Revolutionary Program to Extend Your Physical and Mental Performance Envelope.

I see a few people have mentioned the book elsewhere on this site but not much detail.

Quote:
On a well designed ketogenic diet as recommended by Jeff and Steve, I consume up to 4200 Calories per day while maintaining 6-7% body fat.
This sounds like an active person who doesn't need to lose any body fat.
Quote:
Equally if not more important is the efficiency with which I operate in every facet of my life.
Sounds good, I wonder how this is measured?

I was hoping to see more reviews on amazon, it may take a while. The book is only $9, maybe should look into it.

Found another short review of book with some comments here:
http://tntman.wordpress.com/2012/04...te-performance/

and related here:
2012 Low-Carb Cruise: Day Two
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/b/201...ise-day-two.htm

Quote:
Dr. Jeff Volek, co-author of several low-carb books including the new book The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance, spoke about "New Paradigms In Carbohydrate Nutrition For Athletes". As Dr. Volek has extensively studied this topic himself, there may be no better person to talk about it. He reviewed the history of how we came to believe that a continuous glucose source is needed for athletes, and then proceeded to present an alternative view. He said that we didn't evolve to store very much glucose, but we did evolve to store fat for energy. He pointed out the irony of when athletes "hit the wall" they have tens of thousands of calories in their bodies in the form of fat, but they aren't able to access it. On the other hand, people who are adapted to using fat for energy by following a low-carb ketogenic diet (the process of keto-adaptation takes several weeks) can readily access fat stores during athletic activity, making them far less prone to "hitting the wall". He is currently working on a sports drink based on these principles.

Yet another link, this guy is discussing his results on a stair stepper with HR monitor:
http://www.grc.com/health/The_Sugar_Hill_Part-1.htm
adding quote from above link I found interesting:
Quote:
But there are many things going on. For example, I was breathing so much easier because there's something called the "respiratory coefficient." Carbohydrate, sugar, has a respiratory coefficient of 1:1, which is the amount of CO2 produced versus oxygen consumed. Protein is 0.85, so you only produce 85 percent as much CO2 as oxygen. Fat, which I am now burning, is 0.7. So I was producing only 70 percent of the CO2 when I'm in my last most recent stair climber workout. Actually I should say I did it again yesterday to verify all of this was still the case, and it was.

Last edited by joel381 : Wed, May-16-12 at 08:37. Reason: added links about book
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-16-12, 08:46

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Joel,
I didn't read it but a friend did, though neither of us are in the young endurance athlete category. I did read and enjoy their previous book, which as explained above, has more science than the usual general LC diet book. This one is less pricey, and if you want specific athlete performance advice, may fill the bill for you. Volek's TNT diet book is also good (widely available used) Her review:

To be honest, most of the information on athletic performance was over my head, but there is some good simplified information on nutrition. The things I found most helpful were: how much protein? (.6-1 gram per pound of body weight per day); how much fat? (stay satisfied); and fluid and electrolyte management. It is less detailed in the diet recommendations that ASLCL, but what is there is very easy to understand; I think it is better written than LCL. The cost was minimal (<$10 for hard copy) so I was glad I bought and read it.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-16-12, 09:32

Plan: Keto IF
Stats: 275/242.8/192 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 39%

Janet,

Thanks for the update about the book, it would be good to here from those who had read it and their view. Just watched Ep 3-5 on the skinny of obesity that you linked to elsewhere, thanks for that link.

I did checkout the TNT diet book from the library a few days ago, have not looked through it yet. Also I may put in a request for the local branch to add these above books to the library system.

A lot of books geared toward 'athletic performance' are indeed for the young and energetic individual. Lots of good information out there to sort through. Thanks for her review.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-12, 12:59

Plan: Atkins/Keto/Volek/Phinney
Stats: 153/144.6/125 Female 63.5 inches
BF:27.4%
Progress: 30%

I just picked this book up and am having major DUH moments as I read it. I was an Atkins success story until about 7 years ago (I blogged about my long hiatus and plans to eagerly re-enter the LC world). I started running when I fell off the wagon...but have gained weight over the years (yeah, even while training for marathons, fer cripes sake!). Keep getting stuck in that carby catch-22 -- I "need" carbs to run and bike, but then I am ravenous. Insanely so. I'm tired of working so hard and being so slow compared to thinner runners and cyclists. I don't want to be a "C" cyclocross racer, next year. I want to move up to the Bs and be able to race directly against my DH.