Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 14:28

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%
Default Weigh / Measure Day

Hi, I went today for my weigh in / measure in at Curves. Since November (didn't bother weighing in in December because our office is closed for two weeks and didn't workout either). I have lost 2.8% body fat and a total of 4" overall gone - weight is pretty stable, down 4 lbs, but I don't really count that as too much of a measure because my "back of the closet" clothes are fitting now. I lost 1.8% from October 24th - November 24th and no inches, so it looks like my hard work is actually paying off

Vikki
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Mon, Jan-27-03, 19:05
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/144/140 Female 5'7"
BF:36%/29%/whatever
Progress: 89%
Thumbs up I love CFW!

Hi everyone - just had to add my two cents. I was intimidated at the idea of joining a "real" gym but someone told me about Curves - I went there and signed up the very first day... I love it!

I find it a fun place to be, very upbeat... and you're in and out. I'm not big on chatter, but it doesn't matter if you're there with a friend or on your own... everyone is there for the same thing. There are women of all ages and sizes (and I mean ALL - it's great) - it's a very accepting, friendly atmosphere.

Curves started me on the road to good health, I've added the low carb these past couple of weeks, and I'm really excited and motivated!

I signed up for a year, but the fee is withdrawn by the month, and I can cancel any time - the penalty is to pay $10 for each month that I attended (since the monthly fee is $10 higher than if you join for the year) - and I think that's a very accommodating deal.

Penny
  #108   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 07:31

Plan: none
Stats: 251/255/185 Female 67 inches
BF:46.5%/46.3%/20%
Progress: -6%
Exclamation I'll be back

I'm hoping to go back to Curves tonight. It's been over a week. Someday my transportation problems will be over. I'm going to try to borrow a car so I can go tonight. What else can say?Vicki
  #109   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 13:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/225/135 Female 5'4"
BF:

Thanks to all of you and your wonderful success, I decided to join curves yesterday. I was so impressed! It was upbeat, fun and VERY easy to do. I even joined the 30 day fitness challenge.

I figured that even as out of shape as I was that I could handle the 30 seconds a machine. After the first set of the machines I was sweating like a pig, but feeling great. I never stuck to an exercise program because I am so out of shape I could never do them. Curves is going to help me get in shape so that I will be able to do exercises at home as well.

The fee was $59 which was 60% off and $29 a month. Pretty reasonable I thought. They also had a coupon for a free week if I wanted to just try it out. I was hooked after my first time so I signed up right then. I can't wait until tomorrow so I can go back. Thanks so much for all your success stories that put me on the right path for starting and keeping an exercise program!

Lisa
  #110   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 22:45

Plan: Curves
Stats: 145/138/130
BF:19%
Progress: 47%

I know that Curves offers many different deals when it comes to their membership fees. These prices come from their corporate headquarters. Most Curves are running their food drive this week and they are waiving their service fee for a bag of groceries. Also I know that many are running % off the rest of the month. To be quite frankly honest the regular membership fee is $149.00 any discount is better thatn none and it is only one time. If you remain a current member then you never pay that fee again only 29.00 a month. Watch for Curves specials you can get a deal. As for the routine it is all what you make of it. If you walk in the door with a negative attitude then you will get no results. Millions of Women all over the world that are losing weight and inches not to mention body fat can't be wrong. I joined in December of 2002 and have seen results there is a woman in my club that has gone down two dress sizes in 7 weeks working out 3 times a week and using the Curves diet. That speaks for itself. It is truly all that you make of it.
  #111   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 12:16

Stats: 225/225/135 Female 5'4"
BF:

Just an update. I should have posted this weeks ago, but forgot. In 1 month at Curves I lost 17 1/2 inches and 7 lbs. I also lost 2.6% body fat. This is coming from a person that never exercised. It is really easy and everyone is very friendly. I encourage everyone to try it.

Happy LCing.

Lisa
  #112   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 15:09

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%

Wow!... glad to hear about everyone's success with Curves....

Thank you for posting!!!

ANd I love the updates of inches lost!!!

Take CAre,

M-
  #113   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 06:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 197/197/145 Female 5.2
BF:

I joined curves in Jan. 02 and for 5 months(without dieting at all) I lost 5 inches and 5lbs of body fat. Unfortunately, my mental attitidue got the best of me or I got bored, not sure which or both but I quit altogether. I was going 6 days a week diligently and I really believe I burned myself out. Anyways, I starting LCing in Feb 03 with no exercise at all. I finally went back to curves 2 weeks ago, she waived the registration fee for me. I've decided to go only 3 times a week so I don't run into this burnout again. I will be interested in seeing what the results will be doing this along with lcing. From experience, I may not see much results until the 2 month time. I can tell you once you stop and restart, the muscles have definately lost what you put into them before. I will post my 1 month in a couple of weeks. There are several people that have had unbelievable success in curves.
  #114   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 20:31
Registered Member

Plan: Semi Low Carb
Stats: 316/300/200 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 14%

Hi Pat,

I'm thinking of joining a Curves in Wpg too. How has your experience been up to now with them? Still good I hope. You are doing well and so glad you found out about low carbing to help make a difference in your life.
  #115   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 19:03

Plan: Atkins/Dr. Bernstein, Gym Workouts
Stats: 271.8/190/170 Female 5'6.5"
BF:41.9%/40.2%/??
Progress: 80%

I went to Curves on and off for a year - missed on most of the summer, and now that my year is up I was able to cancel my membership and did. I think it's a great way to get started if you haven't exercised in a long time, it shaped me help and helped me lose a lot of inches. But basically I got bored with it and hit the point where I just couldn't do that same circuit day in and day out anymore, that combined with the horrible disco mixes they play. It was time to call it a day.
  #116   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 16:59

Stats: 226/198/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

I've been a Curves member since the end of June and have lost 30 lbs with about 60 more to go. I cut out all "whites" when I joined and started walking every day as well. I now walk 2 miles in 38 minutes. I like the fact that the machines are made for Women and it is quick and simple, not boring at all. Our Curves offers either a low fat or count calories 6 week courses. Our diet course incorporated Dr. Phil's physcology. Each gym is different and it would pay to shop around for one that suits you if there are more than one in your area. I'm sure we have the best owner and staff at our! She has brought in a Motivation Speaker who gives a different lecture once a week for three weeks. Cost is minimal and attendance is optional of course. Our hours are 6 am to 7 pm Mon to Fri and 7 to 1 on Saturday. I doubt if you will find any Curves open on Sunday based on the CEO's religious beliefs.
  #117   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 17:44

Stats: 226/198/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkathy6
Another question about Curves. Does anyone count the reps they do on each machine?

I was trying to get at least 12 in then worked up to 14 now I'm at 16 on most machines (not the squat - that is killer for me).

One of the staff told me if i could do one more rep on a machine I wasn't working the machine.

Now I feel like I have reallly workout when I leave there, I thought it woud get easier to do but it's harder.

I was told the same thing. If you're not burning at the end of 30 sec you're not working hard enough. We're also told that we should do no more that 5 squats. You should not be able to hear the cylinder go "swish". IF it does you're going too fast. the same with the kick back machine. Kick fast and come back slowly--no more than 5 per leg. Fortunately our owner and trainer recognize that we don't all remember how to do the machines properly so they have advised us to book a 1/2 with the trainer and go over everything again as well as she will be marking down our reps so we can check for improvement later on.
Mary P in Beautiful BC
  #118   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-03, 15:11
Registered Member

Plan: Semi Low Carb
Stats: 316/300/200 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Had my first workout

It went fairly well. I haven't been very active lately so a couple of the machines were a little tough. I'm feeling a little achy today. I had been reading alot about exercising and resistance training is the top one always mentioned for extra benefits and being similar to a water workout.

I was thinking of aqua-size classes but just couldn't see me in a bathing suit (at this time). So I'm so happy I came across CURVES and took the time to look into them.

Thanks for the response to my earlier query!

Just curious, does anyone know what the CEO's religious affiliation is?
  #119   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 12:23

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

The hours are not ideal, however, the club is always full where I go. The short half hour that is needed to achieve completion on the equipment is a help when it comes to finding the time to do the program. My problem in the past was that there were no clubs opened in the mornings. I wish I had access to this a few years ago when I had little ones in school.

Black57
  #120   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 23:59

Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

Hey ladies, I just read read this whole thread, and I though I would clear a few thing up for those who want to know. I work as a fitness tech at Curves, so without giving away any secrets, I'll tell you how it works.
First of all, price and tax varies from region to region. Some states pay tax, others don't. The monthly fee is not decided bt the owner of the franchise, but by Curves International. It will also vary depending on if you sign a 1 yr contract,prepay, or go month to month.The promotions and discounts that are being offered is also decided by the corporate office. BTW-there is almost ALWAYS a discount, be sure to ask.
About the travel cards-only members that sign a 1 yr contract or prepay are allowed travel cards. They are good at any location without charge. All you have to do is fill out a health history form at each Curves you visit. You only have to do it once, even if your last visit to that location was a while ago. The only locations that charge vistors are Martha's Vinyard and Hawaii. This is because their actual membership is low. It is only $5, and some will only charge you one time while you are staying in town.
Because the are franchised, many other things will vary, and unfortunately, some people only open them for profit, not because they actually are interestd in women's health. I'm lucky that the owner of my club is very dedicated.
The hours will vary, so be sure to check around to see if there is one that suit you best. Some are open Saturdays, but no Curves will ever be open on a Sunday. It is not allowed by the company, no matter what.
Another thing to remember- if you are unhappy with something, speak up! Don't wait until you get really upset, try approaching the owner with your questions and unless they are jackholes they will at least consider you remarks.
About the workout- it's true that you want to fatigue the muscle in the 30secs that you are given on each machine. The idea is to work it so you PRAY for that sweet little voice to say those 3 little words "change stations now." The recovery stations are just that, RECOVERY. You don't want to use them to elevate you heart rate, you just don't want it to drop. One of the flaws with traditional gyms is the down time between reps and machines. Your heart rate drops so part of you next rep is wasted trying to get your HR back up.
Most owners will change the order of the machines periodically, or add new ones as membership increases. If you have problems, you can always direct the owners to this site. It's a great resource for them too.
I've written the site down for many of my clients who are either interested in LC diets or have other health concerns that the site addresses. I try to promote it to anyone I can, for all the help it's given me.
I just wanted clear up any confusion, I didn't realize it would end up this long.