Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 12:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/173/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:40.4+/37.1/ ?
Progress: 65%
Question Purposefully gain two pounds to stop starvation mode message to metabolism??

I just posted this also as a reply on 'Am I The Weak Link Here' thread, but wanted to restart this topic as a new thread as it is a specific topic..
Has anyone got info about the idea of purposefully gaining two pounds of weight in order to jumpstart" weight loss while on a longterm losing plan? Last night I was reading the small diet plan book given out at Curves. It is basically a LC type but I'm an Atkins believer, so I didn't pay much attention to the eating plan itself. What did hit me was the repeated idea by the author (sorry, can't even remember his name.. founder of Curves..) anyway, he kept saying that on any diet plan you will eventually trigger the 'starvation mode' message to your body if you are losing wieght... and that it is neccessary to stop losing and actually gain about two pounds every so often to knock yourself out of starvation metabolism message. I may not be relaying his info correctly (stop in a Curves and grab his book if you're curious), but the thought of intentionally gaining two pounds is a bit of a fright to me!! Still.... he may very well have something there. He puts forth a "scientific" base for this...?? I think this balance between losing and starvation messages to our bodies is critical and very involved with stalls, etc... I'm just not sure I would go to the place of purposefully gaining weight on a routine basis. (Although he says only two pounds and it will come off quickly again. The basic concept does seem to make sense...? Hmmm... wondering about trying it...) We would have to be very careful not to start the cravings again etc... be very motivated to control it all and get back on track.. any ideas or experience with this from any of you?

Cheers,
Sponsored Links