Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 23:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161/145
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Actos vs. Glucophage ???

I was just diagnosed with PCOS.

I am 35 and I want to get into shape and try to resolve some of my other PCOS symptoms before trying to get pregnant again (I have two beautiful children).

I have read ALOT about PCOS on the net. Almost everything points to Glucophage as a miracle treatment.

I went to my Endo today expecting him to prescribe me Glucophage and BC pills.

He prescribe me Actos as his first pick and Avandia (as an back-up if the insurance would not pay for Actos). He said this medications are better than Glucophage -- less side effects.

He told me that weight gain is associated with Actos in diabetics, but that should not apply to me (who is not diabetic) and also on a very low carb diet for the last 3 months. I have lost 20 pounds on the LC diet and I don't want the medication to work against me.

I would appreciate people's thoughts on Actos vs. Glucophage?

Experience with weight gain or loss on Actos?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for BC pills -- I have read that monos are better that tri-pahsics.

Thanks

Lolo
Sponsored Links