Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-18, 18:41

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%
Default Learning to live with this & testing

Diagnosed November 18, based on a single high (200) random blood glucose test.

Doc sent me in for A1C and a fasting blood glucose, and was really shocked. She assumed I was out-of-control...

(Since the 200 came when I was prepping for a Celiac test, I MAY have been out of control then. I was deliberately eating lots of wheat.)

My A1C was 6.1 (if I remember right) and my fasting BG was... 120 or so? Not terribly bad.

This made her relax a lot, and she was much more willing to let me give the 'lifestyle option' a change. (Didn't hurt that she saw me losing weight.)

When I asked her about finger-pricks, she told me no need, yet.

Well, I went out and bought a monitor, anyway. (Did my research, got one considered accurate AND where I can get test-strips cheaply and locally.) What I DIDN'T get was a lot of lancets, initially.

Finally picked up a big pack of them on the 26th, and so I'm able to make more frequent tests throughout the day.

One thing I've noticed, that I don't understand?

My highest BG of the day is in the morning, before I've consumed anything.

This morning, I woke at 6am, and tested. 112. Then... I started reading & fell back asleep. Tested again, around 8, before my morning coffee. 125. What the ever-loving frell?

None of my other readings today have been over 110.

I'm working on getting lots of meaningful readings, so I can understand how my body reacts. I'm determined to turn this thing around with JUST diet (and, if I ever get to where my knee can handle it, exercise). In direct contrast to my grandmother, who was completely out of control for the 16 years she raised me. (Readings over 300 were her norm.) I'd like, by this time next year, to be NOT diabetic.

I know this is possible.

I've taken a look at Dr. Bernstein's diet. (I'm more familiar with Dr. Atkins'.) I need to spend more time with it, but -- with my general LC eating -- I'm already avoiding all of his "no-no foods". (Just placed a hold on it, from my library, so I can read it in-depth.)

I'll get this all worked out, I swear.

Just really confused at watching my levels rise after hours of fasting and NOT eating anything (particularly not having eaten anything that should make them jump.

Ah well... I'll get the hang of it all, I'm sure.
Sponsored Links