Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-01, 22:01

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 176/161/145
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Introduction and request support

I've been following CAD since August 5, 2001. Things were great for the first 2 weeks (I lost 10 lbs and had no cravings and lots of energy, and I was sleeping better). Then came my TOM, then a viral cold and everything went sideways for me. Since then (five weeks) I have lost only 2 more lbs. Honestly it's my TOM again, and I'm ready to give up. I'm craving and sometimes eating, chocolate. Does anyone have any words of wisdom or simple encouragement for me.

I really want this program to we a WOL for me. I feel much better having lost the 12 lbs and know for a fact if I stop LCing I'll gain it back. Someone on another board suggested I should quit CAD and switch to Adkins so I'll check there book out of the library tomorrow (is it really as hard as it sounds?)

Yes I know nothing worth having comes without some work involved but I'll admit it I'm a little lazy. CAD appealed so much to me because of the Reward Meal, once a day I could have whatever I wanted.

Any way that's the plea for help. Now the intro. I'm a nurse/office manager/secretary/receptionist in a medical office (yes I do it all!) and mom of two wonderful boys. I live in Western Canada. I do the wear a pedometer all day to keep track of your steps and try to hit 10,000 per day thing.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-01, 00:20
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome to lowcarb.ca Jalera!

From what I've read and heard from others, CAD only works if you follow it to the letter. Your "reward" meal has to be eaten within the hour and has to be balanced. If not, this is what causes insulin spikes that send you over the edge.

You may want to have a look at Protein Power. It's a bit less restrictive than Atkins, same principles and just as effective.

I sometimes think it's better for those of us who "live on the edge" to find a plan that does restrict us. Then there is less room for interpretation. I personally couldn't go the CAD route. Even artificial sweeteners take me out.

For TOM cravings, fat is the answer for some. Dairy fat, olive oil, tuna with gobs of mayonnaise... I've also read that upping your dose of magnesium works too.

Keep reading and posting. Have a look at all the features this board has to offer. The more you know about this WOL, the more confident you'll be!

Karen

#3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-01, 21:33

BF:

Karen:

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement. I'm actually having a much better day today. I dropped a lb of weight since yesterday. That always lift ones spirits!

Tonight I went to my local library branch. All they had in of interest was The Zone, however I requested Adkins, Protien Power and Sugar Busters. More knowledge can't hurt me. Perhaps I can combine two plans.

Does anyone have any comments on The Zone or Sugar Busters?

Thanks in advance. God bless.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-01, 08:48

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

When I tried the Zone, I found it just way to difficult to do. Everything you eat has to be in "exact" proportions otherwise you are not "in the zone". Personally, I am using a Protein Power/Atkins type of thing and it is working fine - not hungry, no cravings, etc. I am the type of person who can't stop once I start eating things like bread and pasta, so not eating any is actually easier for me than eating just a tiny bit. My advice would be to read all the books, and then choose a plan that you think will work for you.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-01, 10:35
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Default TOM

I found it very useful to know what you crave and when you crave it. I keep Chocolate Coffee beans in the house a week before and during my TOM. I keep just enough for those two weeks.. I don't want chocolate the other 2 weeks so why keep temptation. I agree with the fat. For my last TOM, I made a Cream Cheese, Cocoa, sweetner, vanilla mixture and I only needed a few tablespoons to give me that ahh.. feeling.
Macadamian Nuts help too.
By the way, I'm a Mom of two children too. A boy and a Girl
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-01, 11:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

welcome aboard jalera! congratulations on the weight loss. one thing with atkins and protein power is after a few days, the cravings go away. even around tom!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-01, 18:57

BF:
Default Thanks everyone

Artriana:

I read about the first two chapters of the Zone last night and I don't thinks it's for me, for just the reasons you mentioned, too many things to compute. If I wanted to count points I'd still be on Weight Watchers!!!!!! Thanks for your support of my idea of reading several books. I thinks it's good to get as much info as I can.

debbiedobson:

I think you are probably right. The ability to eat alot of carbs at my Reward Meal may be simply keeping the cravings going. For now I'm going to balance my Reward Meal better, while I read the other programs. Then I may go to a stricter program if needs be.