Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 17:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/SugarBusters
Stats: 203/177/120 Female 5' 3
BF:lost 9.65% so far
Progress: 31%
Default A Little Confused..Please Read My Story..

Hi,

I have not posted on the PCOS forum before but was just invited to do so. After reading some entries on this board I'm not sure if it IS PCOS. About 5 years ago, all the sudden, I skipped my period one month. I'd always been regular so this was kinda strange for me. I'd gone through some pretty bad things (just been diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse(heart valves doesn't close properly and allows blood to flow backward into the main heart chamer), social anxiety, agoraphobia, panic attacks, etc) I'd also been through a bad car wreck. I thought I'd wait and see if I got one. Time kinda slipped by and 3 months had gone by without a period. So, I went to the doctor and she sent me for an pelvic ultrasound. The results came back and I had cysts on both ovaries. One was so bad that the cyst was the same size as the ovary. She said I have Polycystic Ovaries. She said all women had cysts but they are supposed to go away on their own and my wasn't. She said I could go on birth control and it would regulate everything. So, I agreed although I was scared because of all the stuff I'd heard about them. Before I could start them, I finally got my period. First one in three months. It lasted for almost a month. I was goin crazy. The doctor went ahead and started me on the BCP's so I'd stop. Since then, as long as I stay on BC pills, I have a period every month. When I started Atkins though, I wanted to get off of them. I stopped them in April. Again, I had no period. It completely stopped. I also got bad swelling in my legs and ankles. It was terrible. I didnt have a period until I started back on the birth control. Once again, I am regular.
I don't have any extra hair growth, skin problems, or thin hair..so I don't know if it could still be PCOS or not. I do have extremely high Tyglercides. They were 2,609 the last time I had it checked on Sept. 23rd. Of course, I am overweight and am losing it very slowly. I've lost 20 pounds in about 6 months. My regular doctor is sending me to an Endocrinologist on Nov. 18th. She doesnt know how to treat me anymore for the high TG's. I have been on so many pills for it. I am now taking Crestor. (i have these TG's on Oct. 16th) I hope maybe I've given enough information to let everyone give me an opinion. I hope I haven't left anything out. I wasn't really expecting to post but thought ya'll might could offer some advice. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
DD

PS..I never had a problem with weight till this problem started....Thanks again...

Last edited by DD01 : Thu, Oct-09-03 at 17:39.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 09:41
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 240/186/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Good god your triglycerides were high! When mine were tested, it was 637 and that is bad also. Let me tell you this. Gyno's don't know a lot about PCOS, and I finally realized that after trying for a child for 2 years and I got smart and went to a Reproductive Endo... he's finally helping me. I do believe there may be a difference in Polycystic Ovaries and Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. That may be something to check in to. PCOS is a very long and bad journey to go through without a dr's help that don't know what they are doing, and a lot of women on these boards will tell you that. I finally went on a low carb diet in July and have lost 40 pounds, and just got off of the pill to see if I start on my own. If you feel uncomfortable with your dr... see another one! As far as your other problems go, you are in my prayers. You have been through a lot! But, you are a survivor and that alone is reason to celebrate!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 18:17

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268.4/207.9/154 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

there is a difference with polycysitic ovaries.....you just have cysts on your ovaries and yet none of the hair growth,,,periods can be irregular but not too bad...the polycystic ovaries syndrome,,, gives you all the bad hair growth on face and all over and most often NO periods...and all the other bad stuff

--DD01 have you asked your doctor for a glucose tollerence test,,,, thats a good way to start,,,especailly seeing as your triglycerides were so high,,,,mine is high and I found out I had insullin resistance..... I have now been put on metformin and you might notice I posted in here to find out more information on it,,,the 2 doctors said this will help ( i got a second opinion)
well good luck with it all
cheers
rachael.......
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 07:23
Registered Member

Stats: 240/186/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Rachael,

So, how is the metformin working for you? I started on 850 mg a day this past Friday, and I was sick Friday night! It's gotten a lot better, but I don't know if it's going to work. I do have insulin resistance, but only half of the symptoms of PCOS. I am trying to get pregnant, and my dr. said to try to metformin to see how it does, then in December I am going on clomid. I just wanted to hear how your journey with metformin is going?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 12:42

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 184/149/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Quote:
I started on 850 mg a day this past Friday, and I was sick Friday night!

Instead of taking so much at one time, you'll probably feel a lot better with fewer side effects if you work your way up to the recommended dosage.

My pills are the 500mg and I'm currently taking 3/day. My doc had me take half a pill a day for the first week, then a whole pill for the next week, then 2.5 pills the next week, then finally 3 pills from then on out. I've had minimal side effects.

Don't try to take so much right at first or the side effects will be awful! Ask your doc if you can cut your 850mg pill in half at first just to get your body used to it before increasing to the recommended dosage.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 13:36

Stats: 176/135/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

Hi there! It's Thursday, and the metformin isn't making me sick anymore. Taking 850 mg a day, and almost no side effects is pretty good.... he wants me to start 2 850 mg a day after two weeks... hopefully that won't make me too sick. I'm doing really good, though!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 13:46

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 184/149/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Quote:
I'm doing really good, though!

Good to hear it then!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 00:18

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268.4/207.9/154 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hi swirl,,,, Been there done that and got the clomid T-shirt ,,LOL,,,,i was on 5 tablets a day for the 5 days,,,, at $80 for 5 tablets that was costing me $400 for the month (I started at one tablet and gradually worked up to 5) It did not work for me,,,,,I got bad side effects on clomid too,,,,,, did not like it at all,,,, but I hope you are different......

I have not had any side effects on the metformin,,,I am on 1 tablet once a day at 1,000mg,,, everyone is different,,,,,

My best friend did the clomid thing like me,,, 5 a day for 5 days and nothing for her,,,, she tried other drugs and nothing,,, then she tried metformin for fertility,,,, she was high dose and monitored well,,,, one month later she was pregnant,,, she swears by metformin for fertility....

I want another baby but want to ge some weigt off first,,, the doctor warned me to use protection when taking metformin as its now used as a fertility drug,,,,,, needless to say we now have a large supply of condoms,,lol,,, its like a museum of them,,LOL

My first child was through IVF and I dont wanna go through that emotional test again...... thats why I am trying to get my weight down.

For me the metformin helps me alot,,,, I started to stall and since starting the drug I have seemed to be able to lose good weight again....

Its different for everyone,,, and I just bought the ketone sticks,,, use them in yor urine,,, will show you if you have glucose in your system and keytones (keytones show up when you are burning fat and not burning sugar for energy) Have you tried them?,,, I use mine every morning ( 3 months supply was $18,,,cheap) I have had no glucose and traces of keytones,,, it helps you estimate how much carbs you can eat before you are knocked out of ketosis (ketones),,,,but I do need to find out more about it......

Hope all goes well for you,,pop by my journal and say `hi` sometime.....best wishes
Rachael
Sorry to rave on,,I got carried away,,,lol

Last edited by jordy05 : Fri, Oct-24-03 at 00:22.