Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Sun, Aug-19-18, 17:17

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I think some of what I read was on NOAA.

The question about being canned in contaminated water,(another source) think of countries with no sanitary sewage (cesspools), countries that drain raw sewage into their own water sources like rivers, ditches and streams. It would be nice to think of it being packed in nice clean spring water. We are very advanced in this country to have fairly clean running water in most places.

I looked at all of our sardines and there were a few but they all came from different places.

Unfortunately you are right about some of the areas. Others are rather sophisticated, like china and japan, in regard to water and waste in the countryside. But because too many have been dumping in the oceans for too long whales are now contaminated waste and the carcasses are carefully disposed of. ANd yet the native people of the northlands still hunt whale as a symbol of their traditional food. ANd we have poisoned it for them.

I live near a river that is so contaminated it will never be cleaned. Too expensive. Signs everywhere to remind fisherman to toss back everything. Do NOT eat.

I am rethinking how sardines fit in our diet. It is $1 a can for questionable sources. Mulling over how much to spend on high quality sardines.

I already spend more for beef. ANd dairy. Food dollar might be better spent on an omega 3 supplement. Other nutrients can be acquired from other sources.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-18, 08:55

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

Did you see the story about the mama orca whale who carried her dead calf for over 2 weeks. Apparently there are pods of orcas who haven't had any live births for years because of the amount of contamination in their food and because there aren't enough salmon to sustain them properly.

I'm not sure why you're worried about eating sardines? Smash fish are supposed to be clean and nutrient dense. Smash equals salmon mackerel anchovy sardine and herring. Dr. Bredeson, the Alzheimer's guy recommends smash fish.

There's also the website about safe fish sustainable fish that's put up by the Monterey Bay Aquarium. I'm sure that there are inexpensive safe alternatives for fish on there. They've got a list of resources for each state in the USA.

Back to the whales again, there are environmentalists in the Pacific Northwest who are asking people to stop eating any salmon until the salmon stocks are built up again. Especially farm salmon because it's so horrible for the environment and for the wild salmon. I don't know if I can actually do that. Salmon are fish that my kids will actually eat. We only get the wild caught Alaskan salmon.
  #93   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-18, 09:09

BF:

The necropsy report on the fin whale that washed up here had an empty stomache.

The SMASH fish are NOT free of contaminants. They are bio-accumulators , like like the whales.

Whale carcasses are a biohazard and are removed and treated as such.

Our waters are polluted.

Watched a program last night, featuring a professor studying the waterways in Florida, and the chemical ________. It showed up in the brain of a beached dolphin, also had an empty stomach. Another study looked at the nitrogen source of the algae blooms--using the isotopes of different nitrogens, it was determined that the nitrogens are from human waste, not fertilizer run off nitrogen.

We are poisoning our waters, the wildlife, and our selves.
  #94   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-18, 15:22

BF:

After watching this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIRurLnQ8oo I see fats in a whole new way.

A little looking pulled up beef info-

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2846864/

(Note- beware of the biases influencing word choices.)

Quote:
Growing consumer interest in grass-fed beef products has raised a number of questions with regard to the perceived differences in nutritional quality between grass-fed and grain-fed cattle. Research spanning three decades suggests that grass-based diets can significantly improve the fatty acid (FA) composition and antioxidant content of beef, albeit with variable impacts on overall palatability. Grass-based diets have been shown to enhance total conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) (C18:2) isomers, trans vaccenic acid (TVA) (C18:1 t11), a precursor to CLA, and omega-3 (n-3) FAs on a g/g fat basis. While the overall concentration of total SFAs is not different between feeding regimens, grass-finished beef tends toward a higher proportion of cholesterol neutral stearic FA (C18:0), and less cholesterol-elevating SFAs such as myristic (C14:0) and palmitic (C16:0) FAs. Several studies suggest that grass-based diets elevate precursors for Vitamin A and E, as well as cancer fighting antioxidants such as glutathione (GT) and superoxide dismutase (SOD) activity as compared to grain-fed contemporaries. Fat conscious consumers will also prefer the overall lower fat content of a grass-fed beef product. However, consumers should be aware that the differences in FA content will also give grass-fed beef a distinct grass flavor and unique cooking qualities that should be considered when making the transition from grain-fed beef. In addition, the fat from grass-finished beef may have a yellowish appearance from the elevated carotenoid content (precursor to Vitamin A). It is also noted that grain-fed beef consumers may achieve similar intakes of both n-3 and CLA through the consumption of higher fat grain-fed portions.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Thu, Aug-23-18 at 15:43.
  #95   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-18, 11:25

BF:

Dr steven masley md and nutritionist
THE BETTER BRAIN SOLUTION

PBS special airing at 1;00 sat on NH-PBS nhpbs.org

He tackles dementia/alzheimers and as a wholistic doctor wants us to prevent this; looking at insulin resistance, the effects of high insulin treatments. AND get started 20 years BEFORE the onset of alzheimers.

WE CAN PREVENT THIS.

(Oddly I think of my step-grandmother : she was stick thin, yet developed alzheimer's and lost her bright smiling demeanor ending in a bed as a vacant body. Yes, I think of her a lot--- where was the signs of obesity and IR??)

nitrosamines-- increases shelf life.increases cancer rates. brain cell injury. Look for organic without this chemical.
highest levels of pesticide exposure also has highest levels of dementia.

reduce stress--keep stress low and cortisol low. hypocampus shrinks with high cortisol exposure.

Laughter is good for stress management.

How to manage stress is the key--
exercise, peace and calm, etc
  #96   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-18, 06:17

BF:

The local grocery had a sale on the OPEN NATURE brand grass fed beef. No organic label though. ANd that confused me.

Trying to determine is the meat is 100% grassfed.

Found this website that is very detailed, but still not clear about the grass fed status. I think Im getting confused becuase the USDA doesnt require the " 100%" wording, because once "grass fed" is used, that is inclusive.

Would love to get input from others on this.

https://insteading.com/blog/grass-fed-label/
  #97   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-18, 19:28

BF:

Quote:
The compounds found in black tea have been linked to increased heart health, plus improved digestion and detoxification, and even reduced stress levels. Black tea contains something called methylxanthine, which boosts your serotonin levels. Increased serotonin leads to improved mood and relaxation.

https://blog.piquetea.com/intermittent-fasting-tea/
  #98   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-18, 08:21

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Hm... didn't know that about black tea and serotonin. In other reading about tea I've learned lately that it has potassium -88 mg per cup - and according to Cronometer when I put it in, also manganese.

Recently learned too about cold brewing tea - overnight in the fridge, results in less caffeine.
  #99   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-18, 11:53

BF:

JL-- this floored me, I didnt know either, and I am always looking for seratonin boosters.

Dopamine and serotonin seem to be opposers. Getting the serotonin right, then balancing the right level with dopamine has been H_E_L_L. If I get too much dopamine late in the day I cannot fall asleep, no matter the amount of serotonin ( which makes melanin). THen a couple days ago, I suspect I had too much serotonin, and fell asleep for a long afternoon nap.
  #100   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-18, 14:06

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
The local grocery had a sale on the OPEN NATURE brand grass fed beef. No organic label though. ANd that confused me.

Trying to determine is the meat is 100% grassfed.

Found this website that is very detailed, but still not clear about the grass fed status. I think Im getting confused becuase the USDA doesnt require the " 100%" wording, because once "grass fed" is used, that is inclusive.

Would love to get input from others on this.

https://insteading.com/blog/grass-fed-label/
If it were 100% grass-fed, it would say grass-fed and grass-finished. In cold climates they can be grass-finished on hay (which I am OK with since I live in Alberta), but normally the finishing is on corn, wheat, soybeans or whatever starchy fodder is cheapest & available at the time to fatten them up quickly.
  #101   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-18, 17:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
If it were 100% grass-fed, it would say grass-fed and grass-finished. In cold climates they can be grass-finished on hay (which I am OK with since I live in Alberta), but normally the finishing is on corn, wheat, soybeans or whatever starchy fodder is cheapest & available at the time to fatten them up quickly.

I was able to find from another source: once grain is fed longer than 3 months, the omega 3 : ormega 6 ratio changes and voids the effects of the grass finishing.

Hence I was trying to verify the labeling.

The company strategically places the "100% Natural " above the very large "grass fed" word such that the eye reads the label as "100% grass fed". THis makes me very suspicious.

Thanks to you Deidra, I wont be spending my money on this deception.
  #102   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-18, 17:45

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I think I've seen that deception before because we have a Safeway owned store. Pretty tricky how they write it and not by accident either!
  #103   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-18, 21:39

BF:

ANd very frustrating.

Leaves me wondering what "grass fed" means, and how it can be stretched. I have a cream products from Organic Valley that say " 100% grassfed" though not all their products are listed that way, some are "grass fed".

Ideally 100%grass fed is prefered to get the Omega 3- omega 6 in the correct, healthy , ratio.
  #104   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-18, 18:43

BF:

http://ketonutrition.blogspot.com/#!/2012/08/kd-for-cancer-treatment.html

Cancer as a Metabolic Disease: On the Origin, Management, and Prevention of Cancer 1st Edition
by Thomas Seyfried (Author)
At $109---not top of my to buy list.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0...ASIN=0470584920

Tripping over the Truth: How the Metabolic Theory of Cancer Is Overturning One of Medicine's Most Entrenched Paradigms Hardcover – February 2, 2017
by Travis Christofferson (Author), Dominic D'Agostino (Foreword)

https://www.amazon.com/Tripping-ove...E&pf_rd_i=deskt

Keto for Cancer: Ketogenic Metabolic Therapy as a Targeted Nutritional Strategy Paperback – October 18, 2017
by Miriam Kalamian EdM MS CNS (Author), Thomas N. Seyfried (Foreword)

https://www.amazon.com/Keto-Cancer-...FCAD52N34D2SW7G
  #105   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-18, 19:02

BF:

The Metabolic Approach to Cancer: Integrating Deep Nutrition, the Ketogenic Diet, and Nontoxic Bio-Individualized Therapies Hardcover – May 24, 2017
by Dr. Nasha Winters ND FABNO L.Ac Dipl.OM (Author), Jess Higgins Kelley MNT (Author), & 1 more