Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Jun-26-06, 09:56
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

That sucks JAnn! Thai Kitchen is expensive here as well though, I am going to check Chinatown and see what I can dig up there. Hope I can read the labels. I'm having a Roobios Vanilla tea right now with the last of my coconut milk

I've been at it for years also for about 10 pounds. I'm sold on it too. Especially after yesterday - I did a little test with wheat, since I haven't had any in months. I thought since I'm starting an elimination diet, I'll just do a little pre-test and see what happens. I ate spaghetti and garlic bread. Within about 30 minutes I BLEW UP and had gas for the rest of the evening. My entire abdomen inflated, from right under my boobs to under my belly button. Very uncomfortable and embarassing. Gee...I think wheat may be a problem

Friend of mine introduced me to a baguette made from rice flour last night, and it tasted just like regular bread. I am going to test that later on.

Nelson, when you do get the book, report in on it! Though like you said - I'm sold. It's insane that this type of thing is so little-known!!!!

I'd love for my BF to try this as well, since he has terrible digestive upsets (his nickname with friends is "Ibs"). Since he also has a terrible sugar addiction though, I can't see it happening anytime soon. He's stubborn.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Jun-26-06, 10:18

Plan: VLKD / paleo
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 176 cm
BF:lots
Progress: 0%

Have you been checked for PCOS? Since this started around your teenage years, this could be a possible reason...

Another one that comes to mind is candida, you can do the saliva test to check this yourself.

dhania
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Jun-26-06, 16:47
Dazilous

BF:

Hi dhania - I did the spit thing, it was fine. I don't have any symptoms of PCOS either, I don't think, and I do get regular checkups in that area
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-06, 03:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis
Josiemk: nope, no pain. I've had this bloating since I was a teenager - around 15 or 16. Thought it was just how my tummy was. Now I am older and paying attention, I notice it's worse some days, better others. I was huge this morning, for some reason.

That is the exact description of the symptoms one of my friends has, and she suffers from PCOS. some days she can hardly fit into her pants, some days she is less bloated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycy...ns_and_symptoms

UP to 10% of women worldwide have PCOS and less than half know they have it...

dhania
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-06, 17:55
Dazilous

BF:

Was bloating her only symptom?
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 15:11
Dazilous

BF:

So far, so good! Except for last night - I made some baked salmon, and coconut shrimp with a red curry sauce, and bloated something awful afterwards. Either the cornstarch in the batter, or something in the curry paste I used - soybean oil, or perhaps MSG? The salmon just had ghee and cilantro on it, so it wasn't that.

I'm being verrrrry good though and eating only meat, veg and fruit, and coconut milk in my tea. I think the universe was testing me yesterday - I opened the fridge to find a big white cake, covered in chocolate and strawberries. My neighbours have gone away, and they gave it to my sister. We have thrown it out!

My BF keeps offering me things like chips and chocolate. He's been doing that since I started LCing, actually. He thinks my pasta bloating was from eating too much of it. Sigh.
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 15:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Huh! I wonder what made you bloat up in that. I do know some people are very sensitive to MSG. MSG also lurks in ingredients like hydrologized yeast extract and stuff like that. You might try using arrowroot instead of corn. I know I get sick when I eat corn chips or popcorn. I don't think fresh corn bothers me though.
Some people are very sensitive to cornstarch.

I need to find a source of curry pastes. I'd like to get some Panang curry paste. It is my all time favorite thai curry!
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 17:23
Dazilous

BF:

Corn will be another thing to avoid for a while and then test. Dang! But I wonder about the soy oil - I bloated once after eating salad with dressing made with soy oil. Generally I avoid all soy stuff unless it's been fermented and all the bad stuff is neutralized.

Curry paste is a wonderful thing! And I am on the lookout for arrowroot, since reading Nourishing Traditions. Is that what they make those yummy baby cookies with?

I am craving FRUIT
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-06, 15:22
Dazilous

BF:

I got the False Fat Diet book, and I am going to follow it (as far as the elimination diet and food testing goes). I am going to Quebec City for 4 days at the end of this month, so I'm not officially starting it 'til I return, but I will be following it best I can 'til then.

I've been eating badly on weekends, and paying for it. Bloating, of course, and other effects. I will NEVER drink beer again. EVER.
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-06, 01:35

Quote:
I got the False Fat Diet book, and I am going to follow it (as far as the elimination diet and food testing goes). I am going to Quebec City for 4 days at the end of this month, so I'm not officially starting it 'til I return, but I will be following it best I can 'til then.

I've been eating badly on weekends, and paying for it. Bloating, of course, and other effects. I will NEVER drink beer again. EVER.

Oh, please report your experience with the False Fat thing, I think it is very interesting!

And I agree with your comment on beer, it makes me bloat like a balloon. Didn't have beer for a long time. I do miss a cold Mexican beer on hot summer nights every now and then, but I'd rather have iced green tea or water... and if I had alcohol I'd rather have a glass of wine than beer, anyway.

dhania
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-06, 08:59
Experimenter

BF:

I got 4 huge bags of curry paste from importfood.com and some various powdered roots that are super hard to find. Tonight if I have time I'll put together the Panang curry. YUM!

I'm pretty sure all grains affect me sooner or later, including soy. Sometimes I can have some rice and get away with it, but not for days and days on end.
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 07:11
Dazilous

BF:

Ooh! I'll have to check out importfood.com. There's some good Indian markets here though, if I got off my duff and went to them...

I will be posting regularly while following False Fat. Today, after going off dairy again, my bloat is down 1" - even with TOM! And my skin is clearing up again. No more bad eating (she says).

Heading to Quebec City for a few days with my sis and mum - she's going to lend me the GI Diet (wants to see what I think) so I'm lending her Dangerous Grains for the train ride. My sis, BTW, is going to do the FFD with me since she's been noticing bloat as well.

Yeah the beer things was crazy - I rarely drink, and prefer wine also. The beer episode threw me for a good week. I 'gained' 2 pounds the next day and my weight is just starting to go down again now. And what is it about beer that makes you want to eat crap?

Dhania - putting link to your blog in my blog - that ok?
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 09:05
Experimenter

BF:

I'm having an intestinal melt down and I can't figure out why. I wonder if my meds are finally causing me problems. It is one that can mess up your liver so I really hope it isn't that!

As a result, I'm super bloated now.

I decided to fast through breakfast and lunch today. My autoimmune stuff is acting up and that often helps.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Jul-21-06 at 11:20.
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 10:18

Quote:
Dhania - putting link to your blog in my blog - that ok?

Sure, go ahead, I'd love that!

dhania
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Aug-03-06, 13:21
Dazilous

BF:

Nancy - hope everything is ok, intestinally!

This is Day 3 of my actual elimination diet. I am using False Fat as inspiration, since his menu plans are way too carby for me, and way too low in fat. Rice cakes - dangerous for me. I can eat them all day long.

So - I am eating meat, fat, butter (that's my only dairy), eggs, veggies, vinegar, tea, fruit (limited), coconut milk (some), almonds, pecans...that's about it so far. Mainly going to eat food I've prepared myself. Avoiding processed stuff. If bloat doesn't go down in two weeks, I'll cut out the eggs and butter though I don't think I'll have to.

I did screw up today though! I am trying to get more raw meat in my diet (yeah, I know) so had sashimi from this new Japanese place that's opened up in my complex (we have the best food in my neighbourhood!) I had some soy sauce without even thinking about it. Maybe a tbsp or less. We'll see if anything untoward happens, though I doubt it from just that little.

Montrous (my bloat - see my journal) was up to 34.5" after my vacation in Quebec (lotsa sugar and starch, woo hoo) but is down to 33.5" today. Hands are still puffy, I can feel it when I make a fist. The scale was down 4lbs of water this morning - yowsa. This is after 3 days of no grains (incl. corn anything), no dairy (save butter), no sugar, no soy (except for today, eek), etc.

What will happen next? Will Montrous Bloat pack his puffy bags once and for all? Will Waywardsis falter on her quest and stuff herself with something wheaty? STAY TUNED...