Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-02-06, 20:58

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default Turkey or fat free hot dogs

I am sorry to bother with a question that has no doubt been asked before, but I cannot find the answer by searching. I hate trying to search on this board. I can't find anything! Anyway, are fat free or turkey dogs allowed in phase 1?

I am craving hot dogs so bad, and my dd is about to make the chili dog casserole for her and dh, and I got to thinking that I could change the recipe around some and make it SB acceptable, but I was not sure about the hot dogs.

I would truly appreciate any advice, or suggestions for a substitute. I thought about fat free bologna, but I was not sure if that was acceptable for phase 1 either!

Thanks for any suggestions or help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-02-06, 21:05
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah's Ark
I am sorry to bother with a question that has no doubt been asked before, but I cannot find the answer by searching. I hate trying to search on this board. I can't find anything! Anyway, are fat free or turkey dogs allowed in phase 1?

I am craving hot dogs so bad, and my dd is about to make the chili dog casserole for her and dh, and I got to thinking that I could change the recipe around some and make it SB acceptable, but I was not sure about the hot dogs.

I would truly appreciate any advice, or suggestions for a substitute. I thought about fat free bologna, but I was not sure if that was acceptable for phase 1 either!

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

Quote:
PROTEIN

BEEF
Lean* cuts, such as:
Bottom Round
Eye of Round
Flank Steak
Ground beef:
Extra Lean (96/4)
Lean (92/8)
Sirloin (90/10)
London Broil
Pastrami, lean
Sirloin Steak
T-bone
Tenderloin
Top Loin
Top Round

* Lean meat has, per 100 gram portion, 10 grams or less of total fat and 4.5 grams or less of saturated fat.

POULTRY (SKINLESS)
Cornish hen
Low-fat turkey sausage (3-6 grams of fat per 60 gram serving) can be eaten as an occasional treat (approximately once/week)
Turkey bacon (2 slices per day)
Turkey and chicken breast

SEAFOOD
All types of fish and shellfish
Water-packed tuna and other canned fish
Salmon roe
Sashimi

PORK
Boiled ham
Canadian bacon
Loin
Tenderloin

VEAL
Chop
Cutlet, leg
Top round

LAMB (Remove all visible fat)
Center Cut
Chop
Loin

LUNCHMEAT
Fat-free or low-fat only
Boiled ham
Deli sliced turkey breast
Steamship roast beef
Smoked ham

Hi!
This is from our updated phase I food list. While turkey hot dogs are not on the list, I would consider them OK but on a very limited basis as I'm sure they have way too much sodium. It is a processed meat and we are told to avoid processed meats.

Bologna would not be OK, as salami and pepperoni are not OK either.

Hope this helps!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-03-06, 07:38

Plan: SBD
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 27%

I don't eat a lot of turkey dogs, but Joe does, and he has no trouble losing weight. But he's a man, so go figure!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-03-06, 21:15

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Lightbulb

Thanks so much to you both!

I went ahead and had the fat free kind this evening instead of the turkey ones. The turkey one's had more sugar. Weird. Anyway, I made them on the grill and they were good. Got rid of that craving for me. I don't plan to have them often, but they were nice for something different, and satisfied my craving for "real" hot dogs! LOL

I thank you both for the help. I greatly appreciate it.

Don't men just kill ya? They can just think about losing weight, and poof,
5 lbs gone! Ugh!

Last edited by Noah's Ark : Tue, Oct-03-06 at 21:23.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-11, 20:42

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 239/222/125 Female 62 in
BF:30%/30%/19%
Progress: 15%

I am on the phase 1 of South Beach Diet with my Boyfriend. I am also diabetic and to agree with the other posts Blahhhhh, he eats the same things I do with the exception of shrimp. He has lost about 30 lbs in about 2 1/2 weeks (we have extended the time of the phase one) and me I start at 239 and am at 224 AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG as Charlie Brown would say.