Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-19, 10:22

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default NPR pushing back with “Slow Carbs”

You Don't Have To Go No-Carb: Instead, Think Slow Carb

With a picture of about a dozen kind of grains, captioned “Slow carbs like whole-grain breads and pastas, oats and brown rice are rich in fiber and take more time to digest, so they don't lead to the same quick rise in blood sugar that refined carbs can cause.”

We don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes to deduce where this is going.

Quote:
On average, adults in the U.S. get about 50 percent of their daily calories from carbohydrates. And, if you truly cut out all carbs, you'll have to give up fruits, vegetables, whole grains and beans — which are the building blocks of a healthy diet.

Yeah, right.

Quote:
David Ludwig says it's time we "just get off the roller-coaster" — the cycle of spiking blood sugar and hunger that refined carbs can cause. He says aim to replace refined carbs with whole fruits (the fiber in them slows digestion), beans, nuts, a variety of healthy fats and plenty of protein.

Same old thing, packaged like it’s a revelation.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-19, 10:46

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Sorry, David Ludwig, I can't eat most fruits with the exception of avocados and some berries; otherwise, I will start craving every carb I ever ate without moderation. Also, no matter how you cut it, whole grains are processed foods that disrupt my metabolism with toxins and conversion of carbs to glucose and then fat. If I want my sleep apnea, high blood pressure, body and visceral fat, skin tags, brain fog, lower energy, heartburn and reflux, systemic inflammation, and general lack of energy to come back, I can make that happen easily by eating healthy whole grains. In the process of evolving to my current WOE, I've learned that the massive emphasis on fiber is also BS at least for me. I get all the regularity I require with fats and protein with the occcasional few veggies along for the ride.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-19, 10:55

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

What he said ^^^^

Me too!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-19, 11:38

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

It's like some kind of meaningless mantra, all sound and no substance "fruits beans and nuts". It's been uttered so many times for so long that most people do not even stop to question whether it's correct. Luckily I am not one of those people.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-19, 11:47

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

It's just another story pimping the EAT-Lancet Study. I'm disappointed in NPR. Usually they do better research and have more balanced reporting in general.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-19, 12:06

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

False dichotomy. It's not an all or nothing proposition. Also, it's not an obligation, it's a choice. You don't have to cut out all carbs, but you can. You don't have to eat any particular food, but you can. The only thing that isn't a choice - you gotta eat something.
Quote:
And, if you truly cut out all carbs, you'll have to give up fruits, vegetables, whole grains and beans — which are the building blocks of a healthy diet.

Yeah, that. If these are the building blocks, it's reasonable to ask what makes them so, right? So let's just start with whole grains. What makes whole grains building blocks of a healthy diet? Before we answer, we must acknowledge that wheat flour (for example) is fortified, therefore is deficient a priori. I know it's a half-assed conclusion but it allows us to formulate a better answer. Is it the fortification that makes it a building block? If it's the only thing, we can fortify other stuff and get the same building block - it's not a unique property of whole grains. With this idea, we can formulate a better answer for the other things - fruits, veggies, beans. Once we get through all possible permutations, we end up with just one thing that can be found in all that stuff but nowhere else - fiber. That's it. So now the question is whether fiber is a building block of a healthy diet. Oh we could go through all the arguments in favor and against, but none of that matters. What matters is whether any diet that does not provide fiber - that does not contain fruits, veggies, whole grains, beans - in any significant amount can still lead to good health. There are, just need to find one though.
Quote:
"When you eat a whole-kernel, minimally processed grain ... they take a while to digest. Blood sugar rises relatively more gently. You produce less insulin calorie for calorie," Ludwig explains. Think of whole grains as slow carbs because of this slow digestion. (Other slow carbs include fruits, vegetables, beans and grains.)

Oh, so grains are processed foods? Good to know. In fact, if they weren't processed, there would be exactly zero effect on blood sugar, cuz we can't digest un-processed grains, can't absorb whatever is contained therein - starch. So this is a choice between processed foods and processed foods. Got it.
Quote:
Whole grains — which include everything from whole wheat to brown rice to steel-cut oats and farro — are also rich in fiber. A new study published in The Lancet finds that people who eat a diet rich in fiber and whole grains have a reduced risk of Type 2 diabetes, stroke, coronary heart disease and colorectal cancer. (For more, we have this primer on whole grains. )

Told ya.
Quote:
But with white bread, all this good stuff has been stripped out during processing. All that's left is starch, which is one step away from turning to sugar in your body. "Refined starch is the hidden sugar," says Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian, dean of the nutrition school at Tufts University.

Lie. Wheat proteins such as gluten are present. If they weren't, the bread would fall apart. The proteins effectively serve as the glue that holds the bread together. In fact, dough is formulated for specific purposes such as sandwich bread, pizza crust, etc, by recombining the various constituents which were separated by processing in specific proportions. Literally, recipes. The same is true for everything called "whole" like whole-wheat bread and such.
Quote:
I've experienced this. I know if I eat a scone or chocolate croissant for breakfast, I'm hungry an hour later. But, if I eat an egg and a piece of whole grain toast, I'm set until lunch. That's because I'm getting plenty of fiber — which slows down digestion — as well as fat and protein that leave me feeling sated.

Well, if you're experienced this, we should all do what you do! Nah, Ima go with science and if there ain't no science to go by, Ima go with my own personal experience. After all, that's what you did, Dave. While I'm at it, Ima go with my own conclusions (cuz that's what you did, Dave - go by your own conclusions) and not eat that piece of whole grain toast. Is that OK with you, Dave? I mean, if you wanna go and eat that piece of whole grain toast, it's totally fine by me.
Quote:
So I've cut back on refined carbs. And the science suggests this is the way to go. The authors of the latest Lancet study say their findings "provide convincing evidence for nutrition guidelines to focus on increasing dietary fiber and on replacing refined grains with whole grains." U.S. Dietary Guidelines recommend that at least half of your daily grain consumption should come from whole grains. But currently, most Americans under-consume whole grains and exceed the recommended limits on refined grains.

And so you have and so it does. Does that science thing suggest anything about processed foods? I mean, if fiber is such an important building block for a healthy diet, seems to me you don't need to eat processed grains. You can just eat grains whole and intact, cuz you see, the fiber is on the outside! Brilliant idea, Dave! You go ahead and do just that.
Quote:
Here's how she thinks about building a quick and easy dinner meal. Pick a protein, whether it's plant-based — such as tofu — or meat. Include some healthy fats, such as olive oil. Chop up some vegetables. "Then, have the wholegrain be the side dish," she says. To tie the meal together, try one of her sauce recipes below. (For an example of a complete meal, check out this recipe for Dawn Ludwig's Japanese Buddha Bowl.)

Cuz it's a great idea to eat something that was originally used to make industrial glue, right? Yeah, glue is good for ya, especially when you eat it. And cuz it's a great idea to eat fats that contain exactly none of the essential fat-soluble vitamins A, E, D, K. That's what makes them so healthy, Dave.
Quote:
"I do a lot of really simple five-minute sauces that I have in my fridge that I can pull out" for dinner, Ludwig says. She tosses all the ingredients for the sauces in Mason jars and mixes them in the jar with one of those stick-like immersion blender, so there's not much clean-up involved and they store well in the refrigerator.

Yeah, cuz sauces and convenience are building blocks for a healthy diet.

Lemme see if I get this straight. Processed whole grains (spike BG more than sugar), fruits, veggies, beans, fiber (to fight the BG spike from the processed whole grains), industrial glue (cuz it's NOT meat!), "healthy fats" (absent essential fat-soluble vitamins A, E, D, K - but healthy cuz it's NOT butter!), sauces and convenience, that's a healthy diet. Did I get this right, Dave?

Mkay, Ima go low-carb instead cuz there ain't none of the BS above. BG spike is addressed by dealing directly with the very thing that causes it - carbs of all forms, whether refined, processed, whole, natural, or whatever. And it's dealt with directly by way of absolute quantity, cuz that's the primary determinant of BG spike. The more carbs, the higher the spike; the less carbs, the lower the spike. That's it for that. Also, essentials are dealt with directly by way of including the stuff that provides them such as animal fats (butter and lard and whatever fat is contained in meat primarily) that contain ample essential fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, K. Then, emphasis is put towards whole un-processed foods such as fresh meat and fresh veggies, rather than towards processed foods such as grains and ready-made frozen meals. In a way, low-carb is quite convenient cuz we focus on just one thing - carbs, and then just one thing about that - the absolute quantity, and it's easy to count up to 50 grams or whatever number your plan warrants. Low-carb is even more convenient and easy to apply with its emphasis on whole un-processed foods - just check whether it comes pre-packaged with a nutritional label. And if we're still worried about fiber for some reason, low-carb can include all kinds of fiberous veggies without even knowing anything about fiber or what it does or whatever, we're good to go just like that. Then low-carb can be ultimately convenient even if the only thing you know about it is that this meal and every meal has to have meat and veggies.

You gotta eat something. Might as well be food.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-19, 12:32

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Love NPR but when all the food doctors that have been on are reviewed for content, it is for better eating for sure but still two steps away from LC and Paleo.

Having watched Dr C. Northrup on NPR some many years ago, and then reading her book, I better understand the position these doctors take on standard TV. They give they "acceptable" version, then in their books and videos give the real truth.

Main stream people cant handle the truth. The doctors that do want to change the world must work carefully so as to stay in the lime light and make change, at baby steps; when so many of us have already made the giant steps, this is hard to understand and accept.

Have been watching a PALEO show on Netflix!! Perhaps because that medium provides a library like offering, Netflix is a safe place to put this type of show.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-19, 12:37

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I just found a pretty good analogy for that building blocks for a healthy diet thing.

The logical equivalent is to make the statement that every car needs gasoline to run. Then if we find just one car we don't put in gasoline and still runs, that original statement is made false. Well, we got electrics now, we don't put in gasoline and they run just fine.

So, whether it's done in an official scientific setting or just at home, if just one person maintains good health even though they don't eat any of those presumed building blocks, that statement is made false.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-19, 12:55

BF:

They don’t discuss the building blocks. They just tell you they are building blocks!

Meat conspicuous by its utter absence.

I am struggling with a serious autoimmune flare, and with just one week of ketogenic (average of 7 net carbs a day) I am seeing improvement in something which has been deteriorating since last fall.

Previous experiments have eliminated gluten and legumes as serious issues for me. As far as fruits and vegetables, it’s only the low carb ones, and I have to be mindful to keep a low fiber intake.

Good thing I have N=1 feedback to go on rather than “expert” advice
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-19, 21:16

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Slow carbs don't work for me. Blood sugar would rise too high, and the unrefined fiber makes about as much difference as a little stop sign before an oncoming freight train.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-19, 08:32

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

If I want to be famished in about an hour, I'll have a big bowl of oatmeal. Or maybe a piece of dry whole wheat toast.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-19, 09:44

BF:

Exactly. “Slow Carbs”mean nothing when you have my pancreas, which senses high carb foods and releases the “Tanker Car of Insulin” in response.

It wasn’t until low carb that I discovered I did not have to be constantly tormented by hunger. I would like satiety that lasts more than a single hour.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-19, 10:08

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Exactly. “Slow Carbs”mean nothing when you have my pancreas, which senses high carb foods and releases the “Tanker Car of Insulin” in response.

It wasn’t until low carb that I discovered I did not have to be constantly tormented by hunger. I would like satiety that lasts more than a single hour.

For a number of years now I have followed a no food after 6PM rule. In the past nighttime was a time when my hunger was at its most extreme and not eating in the evening would not have been a workable option. If I followed the advice in this article I would no doubt become a constant snacker, gorger, always hungry type person again. I have no intention of ever letting that happen again.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-19, 11:21

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 260/220/220 Male 6' 4"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm going to use this route:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/bro...license-renewal

Quote:
All radio broadcast station licenses are scheduled to expire between 2019 and 2022. Each AM, FM, noncommercial educational FM, FM Translator, and Low Power FM (LPFM) station must file an application for license renewal (FCC Form 303-S) four months prior to the expiration date of the station's license in accordance with the schedule set forth below. Noncommercial educational FM stations must additionally file an ownership report on Form 323-E at the same time. ...

During the license renewal process, listeners of the stations whose licenses are up for renewal may participate in the process either by filing a Petition to Deny or informal objection against a renewal.

I have listened to NPR for decades and remember hearing many sponsorship announcements from the agricultural and pharmaceutical companies. Some that I recall are Conagra, ADM and Novo Nordisk.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-19, 11:29

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred42
I'm going to use this route:

I have listened to NPR for decades and remember hearing many sponsorship announcements from the agricultural and pharmaceutical companies. Some that I recall are Conagra, ADM and Novo Nordisk.

Or you could write them directly and tell them what you think is wrong with the story, don't appreciate the exaggerations, and that you expect more balanced reporting from them. That's what I did.