Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 14:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 288/238/125
BF:
Progress: 31%
Wink Our family started on Atkins

Hello,
We are relatively new to the Atkins program. My family (4) have all started this program. It is sometimes very hard as the mom to come up with different meals (especially breakfast) to entice my family. I believe that we are doing good. We have lost about 50 lbs. combined. We sometimes get discouraged. This is a totally new way for us to eat. We found out that we were carb junkies! Does anyone else have their whole family on a low carb program. If yes, do you have any suggestions to help make meals more exciting? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 15:03
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power/CKD
Stats: 183/173/135
BF:
Progress:

Go family! Breakfast was definitely the hardest for my daughter and I... we were used to artisan breads and hashbrowns, not to mention the pancakes with syrup on the weekends.

Now, to keep the bacon and egg thing a little more interesting, we have an omelette "bar". Assorted cheeses, cubed ham, cooked bacon, and assorted veggies (avocado, green onions, spinach, mushrooms, asparagas, etc.), herbs, and perhaps some left over steak or chicken from the night before. We'll make omelettes or fritattas (baked 'til golden). Instead of butter, I use a garlic-infused olive oil (there are other herb-infused choices too).

That's not to say that you have to stick with "traditional" breakfast items... Sausage and cream cheese stuffed mushrooms are a bite-sized treat we both enjoy.

If you're not on induction, you can enjoy some fruit (berries with marscapone... yum). My favorite has to be cantaloupe... 1/4 sliced thinly wrapped with proscuitto with a bit of freshly cracked pepper (sounds icky to the uninitiated... but trust me... it's to die for). Who can resist a cup of espresso (decaf, if necessary), with a dollop of freshly whipped cream and sprinkle of cinnamon or cocoa.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 15:52
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

It warms my heart when a whole family changes the way they eat!

Breakfast doesn't always have to be eggs and pork. Leftovers, crustless quiche or a fritatta as Nancy suggested. Ham with broccoli and melted cheese and in the recipes section, Doreen has a recipe for a tofu and egg custard. In there somewhere, is a recipe for flax seed granola and Egg Mock Muffins that some of the members swoon over for a breakfast on the run.

I eat salads for breakfast a lot of the time. It seems a bit strange at first but it's quite refreshing.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 16:03

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Thumbs up Belgian Waffles

Yes, Cathyeu breakfasts can sometimes become a challenge..hubby and I have been following this WOL for quite some time now and in order to keep us both interested I have scoured most of the online sites for recipes that we both enjoy..one that comes to mind that we have occasionally is Belgian Waffles and believe you me these taste incredibly good ...I wouldn't indulge in these in the Induction/Intervention
( I am following PP) phase of your WOE, but after you are able to up your carbs these should fit the bill nicely for a special breakfast morning...you can serve these with a small amount of LC fruit such as raspberries, strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream or there are several LC syrups out there with Davinci, ED Smith, Aitkins to name a few...also check out the many recipes found right here at the forum...several of our members have posted terrific recipes and be sure to check out Karen's recipes as well...the link for the Belgian Waffles as mentioned above is:

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipe...pe-bread18.html
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-01, 07:46

Stats: 165/148/125
BF:
Progress:

My whole family is low-carbing, too. Not on purpose, really, but based on the food I bring into the house.

My husband started doing it when he saw how fast I was losing weight (although he doesn't need to lose anything). My son eats whatever is handy (which now is ham, turkey, mozerella cheese, eggs, etc) I've been trying out desserts made with Splenda from the lowcarbluxury site and the family all loves it, so I won't make anything with sugar anymore.

I'm sure the kids both end up with some sugar when they're out with their friends, but not in my house!!!

(Oh, the kids are 16 - twins)

Deviled eggs last about 15 minutes at my house. It's a great breakfast when I don't feel like cooking. I also microwave bacon and that takes 3 minutes (have a special microwave tray that collects the grease - but even the grease isn't wasted, as I pour it on the dog's food.)

I also like to put cream cheese on a slice of ham and roll it up. YUMMY!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-01, 09:12
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/156/140
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default grease for the dogs

I also microwave bacon and that takes 3 minutes (have a special microwave tray that collects the grease - but even the grease isn't wasted, as I pour it on the dog's food.)

Arrrrghhh! Don't do that to your dog! It can cause BIG problems down the road for their health as well. Dogs need a low carb/high protein diet too but not bacon grease!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-01, 16:29

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

wecome aboard cathy! that's terrific that your whole family is lowcarbing together. i believe big_wayne has 3 out of 4 family members low carbing. my husband lowcarbed with me originally and i think he's going to again after our holidays! it's really easyist if the family is on it together. my kids aren't, but any meals that they eat with us is lowcarb.

for breakfast ideas, click on the recipe sections on the red bar at the top of the screen. once there click on breakfast.
i've also searched the internet for ideas!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 18:02

Stats: 288/238/125
BF:
Progress: 31%

Thank you for the Welcome! It is so nice to not feel so alone on this. Sometimes it is just so discouraging, but then every time you make an eating change it can be. Thanks Again.