Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-01, 18:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/210/199 Male 6ft 1
BF:
Progress: 88%
Question Another newbee with some questions

Hello all, I have been on the low-carb plan for approx 2-weeks now, my sister showed great results with the Atkins/low carb plan so I figured I'd buy the book and give it a try. Has been working great so far, 2-weeks in, that is. I had been trying the Metabollife365 and a low-carb plan just a few weeks before starting this. My questions are: Should I use "CarboLean" while on the Induction phase or later or at all, with regarding the "no caffeine" rule? I do not feel any jitters like I did with Metob-365. As for my personal intake of foods, I'm drinking lots of water, at least 8-10 glasses a day, have purchased the breakfast bars, basic3 vitamins, Keto Soy Shake mix, and Keto Carb Kooler drink packets. I have 1-2 breakfast bars in the am, drink straight H20 and Carb Cooler thruout the day, take 1-Basic 3 in the morning, have a salad for lunch with oil/vinegar, and have steak or chicken or Keto shake for dinner. I am the type of person that has strong willpower regarding food intake > not a big eater. I have noticed now, that after being on the plan for approx. 2-weeks, just now I feeling hungry more often. I was hardly ever hungry before, in the first 2-weeks or before doing this diet. Is this normal? Well I seem to be long winded today. I look forward to hearing your responses. PS: I didn't weigh in before starting, but I have had to tie 1 belt loop on my jeans to the next one, so I know I am losing. I also feel great, have lots more energy now too. Thanks, John

Last edited by John2001 : Tue, Jul-03-01 at 21:13.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-01, 02:14
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default hi John, welcome to the forum

Um, you say you bought Atkins book, but I don't see anywhere in your daily eating plan that suggests you're following Induction as outlined. My copy of Atkins New Diet Revolution makes no mention of bars, shakes, powders and other Frankenfoods. It lists REAL food - meats, poultry, fish, eggs, bacon ... olive oils and mayonnaise, cream, vegetables and leafy green salads.

Those "lowcarb" meal replacement bars are a frequent staller for many folks, admittedly not all. But they often contain "hidden carbs" from the sweeteners used (glycerine or glycerol, polydextrose, maltitol), which are not declared on the label. The lowcarb protein shake mixes are ok, as long as they are truly lowcarb ... again, check the label carefully ... you may find sources of carbs in the ingredients list that are NOT accounted for in the nutrient data.

Your lunchtime salad ... are you having protein with that, such as grilled chicken, or some shrimps or hard-boiled eggs? And are you using a variety of leafy greens, such as endive or spinach, not just the white icebergy lettuce?

Are you having a serving of cooked lowcarb veggie with your dinnertime steak? Some asparagus, spinach or broccoli? Or how about some grilled mushrooms with red & green pepper strips.

I suspect you're feeling hungry because you're not eating enough, in particular not enough FAT, and possibly not enough protein. You haven't listed your current and goal weights, also no way to know if you're 5'7" or 6'2" and athletic. Makes a big difference on the protein requirement. The protein shakes are usually very low fat as well as lowcarb. Try adding some cream or a Tbsp fresh flax oil. Adding fat will provide satiety and staying power. Whey protein shakes especially are very quickly absorbed, which is great for an athlete in training who needs a rapid protein source. But for the average person using as a meal replacer or snack, it's best to add some fat to slow it down a bit. Add more olive oil to your salad dressing, and put a dot of butter on the cooked veggies. Use mayonnaise as a dip for leftover cooked meats or chicken.

The Atkins Basic 3 supplements are fine, but when the bottle is gone, you might be as well served to use a good quality once-daily multiple vitamin & mineral supplement that you can buy anywhere ... Centrum and Quest are two names, but there are others. Look for a formula that's Super or Forte or Stress ... these will have extra B vitamins, which are important.

As for the Carbolean, I'm tempted to say stay away from it ... at least for now. Give the lowcarb diet a chance to get your body into fat-burning mode on its own. Are you exercising? That's a terrific way to boost your metabolism and burn fat stores.

You're not long-winded at all

Sorry for sounding like I'm nagging, I just wanted to throw out some ideas and thoughts, maybe you can see something that's helpful for you.

Take care, and keep us posted how you're doing.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-01, 05:44

BF:
Smile Re:newbee quest,Thankx Doreen

Thanks for your comments. To answer your questions, as for the bars and shakes, I was never a person to eat anything for breakfast before, aside from coffee that is. So I figured, get the breakfast bars for that. They are the Atkin bars. The lunchtime salad, I put only oil and vinegar on it. It's a mix of lett / tomato / olives / hard boiled egg / pickle. Dinner, with the steak or chicken, i do have mushrooms or onions with that. Sometimes for lunch or dinner, I only have time for tuna mixed with a little mayo, right in the can. I was never a big eater, just eater of the wrong thing - carbs!

As for me, I stand approx 6'1-2", have a large build / frame, in highschool had a 55" chest and 16" biceps, now a little smaller but not much. I am now 32-yrs old. I have to, believe or not, get a scale, but was approx. 270-lbs before 2-months ago, I would guess at 250-lbs now. Up at 5:30am and work till 8-pm most nights, I own muffler / brake shop. I work the shop as well as run the counter, so I am active all day. I am also going to start a regular exercise / workout program by the end of this week. Have one of those workout machines, I picked up at a tag sale last year, and of course, just like the previous owner, have hardly used it. Going to try to do this with a friend for motivation and not to quit doing it. I know the book says a large framed man at 6'2" should be between 173-194lbs, but I just can't see that. I haven't been under 200lbs since I was like age 14-15! I would be almost afraid to see that weight on my scale!!

Thanks for the multi-vitamin suggestion, I figured stay with an Atkins product but will just go to the store now. Thanks for the carbolean comment, I just figured it might add to the process and be of help. Is there another book, besides Dr. Atkins new diet revolution, that is a little, pardon me, less wordy. I would prefer one that is more straight forward with diet info and not as like, pardon me again, story like. Don't get me wrong, it's very informative, but just looking for a quick reference type one - basic if you will.

Do you recommend any supplements, for added protein? I see that you mention Whey protein shakes are good for for fast absorption. Again, looking for basic, simple / easy items for this.

Is it important to have a "breakfast", on this plan? I still have issues with eating anything at that hour of the day. Unfortunately, I have never eaten anything before 10:30-11am previously.

Thanks for you "nagging" and comments. I look forward to hearing more from you and others on this board. I have read all the wonderful comments and great support from all the folks here. I think it's so nice to be a part of a group like this. Cheers and Happy 4-th of July to all, John
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-01, 08:27

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default Hi, John!

I'm with you on the Atkins book - I find it a bit chatty, too, though I'm following his plan. Check out the book Protein Power by Michael and Mary Dan Eades. The style is a little more informative, and the eating plans are similar.

I'm with Doreen on the importance of eating 'real' food: veggies, meats, eggs, etc. Many of us plan on eating low carb for the rest of our lives, and so we need something we can stick to for the long term, not just a few weeks. I also second her on watching out for the protein bars. Maybe you're one of the lucky ones they don't stall, but keep an eye out - you may have to ditch them, or at least eat fewer of them, down the road.

I'm not a big breakfast eater either, so I know what it's like! Maybe try chewing on some jerky or pepperoni strips, or hard-boil some eggs the night before? Or leftover chicken or meat? Breakfast doesn't have to be traditional 'breakfast' food, just eat a bit of protein to get you going in the morning.

Good luck, keep us posted!
Rachel
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-01, 11:05

BF:
Default Thanks Rachel

Hello again,

Thanks Rachel, I will check out the Protein Power book.

I was eating pepperoni, hard cheese and/or turkey burgers in the morning, then I saw the Atkin's breakfast bars and thought, how cool is that! But, I think your right about the "stalling" with the bars. I really have to get a scale and do this right, but I really could feel and see the weight coming off, slow and steady before. (clothes started to almost fall off me) Now I feel I am maintaining and maybe losing a little. Perhaps I have stalled using the breakfast bars and didn't realise it! Now, I will eat maybe half of one, with the other food described, till there gone.

Is there any food items, besides the ones called "real foods", that I could purchase, at one of these "low-carb" internet sites, that you would recommend I could eat? Instant type, right out of the box. I'm not a picky eater, whatever it takes. I of course will eat the real foods too, but just something quick to eat when I don't have to time to prepare it. I am single and have never been much of a wiz at making/preparing meals for myself. Even a shake type, high in protein / low-carb, that I could just mix with water, drink and go. (I have KetoSoy Shake now, just 3-grams of carbs and has 24-grams of protein per serving.) Would you recommend I continue to use?

Again, many thanks and good luck to all, John
PS: Now I go and eat real food for lunch > Bar-B-Q today!
Happy 4-th to all !
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-01, 15:53
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi John,

A lot of people do just fine with a protein shake for breakfast but you shouldn't live off of them.

You don't have to be a kitchen whiz to eat well. Many grocery stores carry things like roasted chickens, cooked beef and prewashed salads.

I too am in favour of "real food", but I'm sure someone out there will be able to answer your question.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-01, 19:47

BF:
Thumbs up Thanks Karin

Hello and thanks Karin for you reply. I really don't plan to live off of protein shakes, by any means. I've tired those kind of diets before, and as we all know, they just don't work.

Thanks for the grocery suggestions, as I said before, I've never really been a breakfast guy. I'll try the protein shake for the morning start-up meal for a while and see how it goes.

Good real food today. Grilled chicken, cheese burgers(no bun, of course) and a mixed salad with hard cheeses, pepperoni, onions, peppers, broccoli, the works, thruout the day. (Picnics) Both places I was at today had all kinds of cakes, pies, cookies, rice, potato salads, and it didn't even phase me. Yeah, I could have had a little bit of something, but it didn't even cross my mine! If you set out to do something, do it right. No cheating! I figure if you give in just once, it will be easier the next time and then it's back to square one again! I friend of mine, who knows that I am following this plan, told me tonight, he was watching me, to see if I was gonna go for the carbs. He was impressed I didn't.

Cheers, John

PS: When you think about it, it's not that hard to follow this plan, just remember where you want to be! I believe self image is an important thing. Be strong and you will get there!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-01, 20:37

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Good going, John!

I'm no expert on the packaged low-carb foods, as they're generally not available in Canada. Maybe some of our US friends can give you some recommendations.

Keep up the good work!

Rachel
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-01, 21:19

BF:
Smile Thanks Rachel

Thanks again Rachel for you support comments.

I have been reading a lot of the posts from many different subjects here.

This has got to be one of the most supportive, informative, sharing, motivational, and down right feel good, group of people I've ever meet!

All the posts, from all topics, I have found have been so helpful it's just unbelievable to me.

What a great group of people you all are!

Cheers and good luck to all, John
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 07:29

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

hello john and welcome aboard! i see that you've already received great advice. the only thing i can suggest is that you prepare your own protien shakes the night before and just blend them up in the morning. if you don't have immune problems, you could probably throw a couple of eggs in to increase the protein. add some water, cream, flax seed and sugar-free flavouring. in the morning just blend it all together.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 13:56

BF:
Default Thanks Debbie

Hello Debbie,

Thanks for the advice on the protein shakes. I will give it a try.
By blending in some eggs in, I think it will get a little thicker too.

I don't have any problems with eggs, but I do have a allergic reaction to most seafood. (ie. shrimp, crabmeat, most shell fish)
It's too bad to, I really loved shrimp!

Again thanks for the comments, John
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 15:09
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Thumbs up breakfast ideas ...

hi John,

I hunted down some posts we've had previously about what to eat for quick breakfasts and lunch ..Maybe you'll find some ideas there!

Good luck, Doreen
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 16:48

BF:
Default Thanks Doreen

Thanks Doreen, I'll check them out.

Cheers, John
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 18:53
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

John,

I just wanted to tell you that you have a great attitude towards changing your WOE. I believe you will be very successful!

Karen
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-01, 14:30

BF:
Default Karin / Debbie

Hello again,

*Karin, thank you for your support. Staying in a positive frame of
mind and having determination, is key with anything in life!

*Debbie, I tried the protein shake with (2) eggs, dash of "lite cream"(no heavycream at store last night, so I bought a small one) ,reading the label very closely for carb's, 8-oz of good old H20, and a dash of no-carb sweetener. Fantastic! Had energy and power all day! Prepared it last night and gave it a shake up this morning. To my surprise, it stayed mixed.
I had a small salad with some bacon bit's and oil / vinegar for lunch. Plenty of energy all day! Very good mix.

Going to check out some more posts tonight.
Again many thanks to all and best of luck on your quests...
John