Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 19:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187.4/173.8/140
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Another Hello

Thankyou for this site-lots of useful information. I just joined the forum although have been visiting the site for some time. I started low carbing again this week (on Atkins but also use all the useful tips in various other low carb books). I tried Atkins some years ago but got scared off it by all naysayers. Now I am convinced, having done lots of reading on the subject. I am going on holiday in 3 weeks and it would be nice to lose even a little before I go as I am dreading those revealing holiday photos!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-01, 19:53
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome to the forum eebee!

Good for you to read more on the subject of low carb. You can never have enough knowledge when it comes to this way of life.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-01, 09:23

Stats: 288/238/125
BF:
Progress: 31%

I was a little concerned myself about all the things that I have heard about getting rid of all those carbohydrates. The reason that I decided to make the plunge the low carb way was because I went in to see about gastric bypass. I am a candidate for it but I have been waiting for insurance to kick in. In the meantime, my daughter was starting to get teased about her weight at school. It is bad enough when they get teased about their mom but when they start in on the kids Wonder Mom steps in. LOL Anyway, when you have bypass surgery this is pretty much the diet that you have to be on for the rest of your life. With a few exceptions of course. The Atkins plan has many more and much more that you can eat. So I decided to try this and see if I had the surgery could I stay on the diet plan. After, the detox, (which was pretty bad for us carb junkies and let me tell you, you certainly feel like the worst mom in the world when you see your children go through them) We have never felt better in our lives. So I can't believe that something that would make your body feel so good and alive would be so bad. So now, I have decided to try it without the surgery and if I stop losing weight, then I guess I will look into that again. Hang in there! The first few days are the worst. I have also found that putting yourself on some good vitamins really helps.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-01, 16:23

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

hi eebee! welcome aboard! you must learn to ignore those naysayers! my mom is used to me lowcarbing, but she disses it every once in awhile! i don't take it to heart. she hasn't read all the research that i have on the subject. trust your body! you'll feel great and lose weight! i just try to not talk about how i eat to too many people!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 00:55

BF:
Wink Thanks

Thank-you for your welcomes. What a great friendly group this is.
I am very convinced this is a sensible diet. A lot of this confidence has come from reading news etc. on this site. when I did this before I had no one to encourage and reinforce me in my ideas-and you soon forget the reasoning without re-inforcement.

I have noticed the mainstream starting to be influenced recently. Leslie Kenton has now started recommending reducing carbs.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 00:57
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Who is Leslie Kenton? A famous chick from down-under?

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 03:32

BF:

I think she is British. writes lots of 'healthy' diet books. "Raw Energy" and such -very popular and very prolific.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 10:21
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi eebee, welcome aboard!

Hey, another tortoise .... me too ..

It took a while for me too ... I used to cave in at all the negative comments from friends and family .... but as I started to feel better and healthier than ever with lowcarbing ... I realized that I had to do this for me. Somebody somewhere is always going to find something negative about our choices, whether it's food, career, love ... where we live, our hairstyle .. etc, etc. ad nauseum.

What could be more sensible and healthy than NOT eating all the refined white flour and sugar foods, that have had anything that was ever nutritious in it stripped out with over-processing??

You've made a good decision, and I look forward to reading more posts from you ..

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 11:53
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power/CKD
Stats: 183/173/135
BF:
Progress:

Welcom eebee!

Naysayer, schmaysayer... Surprisingly, yesterday, 11:00 news broke with a story of how some people have a protein (non-nutritional) in their bodies wherein they can't process very many carbs thus they gain weight or can't lose weight... they're trying to develop a pill (what a surprise) to offset said protein. While they didn't mention hyperinsulinism or LC programs, I found the story interesting nevertheless... one of my top naysayers (mom) heard the story (afterall, if it's on the news, it must be true, right) and said there must be something to this Atkins guy afterall.

While that may silence the doubtful for a time, your results and how YOU feel is really all the confirmation you need.