Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-19, 04:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '72 and low FODMAP
Stats: 291/241/180 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Daily Accountability Discussion - October

Wow - October! I am still trying to figure out where August went.

I gotta run, lots of work to do before my biopsy.

Here we go, another month! Let's make it a good one. Good luck losers!

01-Oct-19 241.0 -

Last edited by sosumi : Tue, Oct-01-19 at 04:50.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-19, 06:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Inductionish
Stats: 320/226/190 Female 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hello all! I have been such a slacker on the reading and for sure the posting.

First, the good news. I am back from TX and weighing in at 233.4, which is actually a weight loss while I was gone and living on takeout food.

Now the bad, mom didn't do well while I was gone. My fears were realized and she didn't eat right, she had several bathroom accidents that no one took the stuff down to the washer, and in general she looks rough. Her oxygen levels are actually pretty good, but she is very tired and when I look at her while I am talking I just keep saying in my head "this isn't my mom".

I can't describe it well but it's like her spark is gone and she is fading. I spoke with her doctors on speaker phone for an hour last week while I was in TX and said you have to hear that she isn't really following your conversation, what's causing that. They said her blood pressure dropping but mom and I both live at around 90 over 50 on a normal day, there isn't far for her to drop. Meanwhile if she moves her oxygen levels drop very far, but they said that's not the cause....I call bologna on that one. They also said it's just a progression of the pulmonary hypertension disease.

I spoke with mom this weekend because I needed to know where her head really was. She's making plans to take the kids to Disney during February break and to my uncles beach house next summer and she's sharing this news with her brothers and I'm just shaking my head like HUH? She can barely get out of the house, what am I missing. She finally admitted she's just trying to be positive but she knows she is fading and it won't be long, but she likes her world of denial.

I called her brothers and told them if they want to talk to her, like REALLY her, they should get here in the next couple weeks. They of course argued with me that she sounds fine, all I could say was "Listen, believe me or don't believe me, I'm on the ground here and I'm telling you if you want to see her you should come soon". All three of her brothers were on route when their mother passed...why...because they insisted on not believing the truth and by the time they got to GA it was too late. My job is to send up the alert, I've done that, the rest is up to them.

Sorry for the long post, guess I'm just making up for lost time.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-19, 10:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/194/168 Female 5’7”
BF:
Progress: 70%

Hugs Caco, yes that’s all you can do, some people have a hard time hearing the truth. I wish they’d listen cuz you could use the support. Maybe you should tell them that too. Good job on the wt loss!

Sept 2–203
Sept 3–201
Sept 12–206
Sept 14–203.6
Sept 15–203.0
Sept19–199.8
Sept 20–199.6
Sept 21–198.0
Sept 22–198.8
Sept 23–197.2
Sept 26–196.7
Sept 27–195.2
Sept 30–196.6
October 1–195.2

Lost 8 for the month, Happy with that
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-19, 12:47
Registered Member

Stats: 242/228/140 Female 5’8”
BF:
Progress:

Happy October!

10/1 -226.5

Heidi - Congratulations on a great month!

CaCO3 - I went through the same thing with my own brothers when my dad was declining. I was with him nearly every day and they lived hours away. I tried to keep them up-to-date. I remember my oldest brother telling me, "I don't agree with your prognosis, but ..." Ugh. Maybe it's a guy thing. De.ni.al - Sending you thoughts of hope, love and strength during this difficult time. As I've said before, she is very lucky to have you.

Sosumi - thanks for getting us started for October.

Thanks for all for the happy anniversary wishes. I celebrated when we went out to eat but I'm very proud of my choices. I shared some lobster/artichoke dip with celery instead of chips/bread. I had a 6 ounce glass of chardonnay. Main course was a filet with asparagus. I boxed up and brought home the garlic mashed potatoes and carrots for hubby to eat tonight. For dessert I had two Russell Stovers sugar-free pecan clusters when I got home. I'm up almost a pound from yesterday but I'm sure that's just from all of the food in my belly, the wine and some water retention from the salt. All in all, it was a good time and I feel like I splurged without "blowing it."
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-19, 04:55
Registered Member

BF:

Heidi - thanks for pointing out that I lost in Sept! (in the sept thread) Yes, i am happy i lost 1.5 lbs for sept, better than the alternative. You did great for Sept.

CaCO - it is good to hear from you. So sorry your mom is so ill. It must be so difficult for you.

Kit - great job with your celebration! Sounds like you had a plan and stuck to it. Yay

Ang - how are you?

I did ok for my biopsy. Having my husband there was really good. Doc wants me to take it easy today and work from home. We had taco bell for dinner last night, so not weighing today.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-19, 07:44
Registered Member

BF:

Got mom out this morning to the grandparents breakfast at the elementary school. She was having a very bad morning but was determined to go.

Her oxygen levels were very low and she felt very bad. It turns out she gained over 5 pounds last night....double lasix today to try and get some of that fluid out of her. This is a slippery slope. She either gets the fluid off today or she goes back into the hospital tomorrow.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-19, 08:31
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

10/1 - 226.5
10/2 - 227.6

Sure hope this backwards trend stops today.

Sosumi - so glad your biopsy is over and went well.

CaCO - hope all goes well today with your mom.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-19, 10:10
Registered Member

BF:

Oct 1–195.2
Oct 2–193.2

Swoooooosh! Hope that holds, using DS’s fancy scale at their house.

Have a good day y’all!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-19, 07:38
Registered Member

BF:

10/3/19 = 233.6

I've been trying to be good, mostly succeeding, but I could do better.

Tonight we are having dinner guests. My daughters best friends mom, her dad passed from pulmonary hypertension. So, they are coming for dinner to talk about what all happened with him. Mom wants to hear how things went with this womans dad to I guess see where she is at in the grand scheme of things. I hope it helps.

My son FINALLY started school this week. We had a few surprises. One, they are somehow going to have him on track to graduate in May like he use to be. This shocked me because um he took off about 9 months from his life, but I guess the high school has contingency plans for those events. The other major shock is that he is ineligible to play any high school sports. That one hurts. He loves sports and there is something unique about being able to partake in senior night and what not with your high school team. He will have to get his fix from a travel team I guess. I'm very VERY sad for him.

There are rules in GA about having to sit out a year if you transfer schools and he has transferred three times. So in theory he could play in a year but he won't be here, also even if they stretched out his courses he can't play in high school for 5 years....which makes sense. Oh well, this is another one of those consequences he will have to live with. It sucks, but it is what it is.

How is everyone else doing? I've been horrible about reading up, just been so busy and stressed! 10 more days of softball and I already told basketball I wasn't coaching....so hopefully I'll get my winter off to just focus on mom and the kids.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-19, 09:11
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

10/1 - 226.5
10/2 - 227.6
10/3 - 228.2

I admit I’ve been slipping a little bit each day. I don’t think I deserve what’s happening weight wise, but such is life. Hoping to get back to walking tomorrow. I’ve been very sedentary. I hate to say that cause I’m kind of allergic to exercise. Every time I say I’m going to start back up I get sick or an injury.

I’m missing Teresa and Ang. I have to check up on the old boards now and then to see how my old pals are doing.

Caco - hope you enjoy your dinner.

Heidi - way to go!!

Sosumi - hope you enjoyed your resting day.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-19, 10:01
Registered Member

BF:

Oct 1–195.2
Oct 2–193.2
Oct 3–194.0

Grrr, gonna fat fast with some veggies again today to get that number back down.

Kids don’t have school tomorrow so they will be home all day with me and we can sleep in!

Caco—I would be interested in hearing what that Gal has to say too as you know my husband has pulmonary hypertension too, but his is still in the early stages. He just gets short of breath a little once in a while. He swims regularly and that seems to help and takes meds for it, but there is no cure which I ‘m sure u know.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-19, 17:43
Registered Member

Plan: keto/low carb
Stats: 306/272/195 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Caco, how is your mom today?

I'm sorry I missed the first two days of the month. Everyone is doing really well I think. I'm so very busy its hard to find any time to just relax lately. BUT, I'm enjoying the work. Today is the first day I felt somewhat caught up enough to leave by 5pm.

9/1 293.9
10/1 273.1
10/2 272.3
10/3 272.4

Officially 20.8 lbs this month. WOW! Even I am amazed! Its the busy schedule and I think my band is tightened up again. I am also doing my eating like I did the last time I lost like this. Eating when I'm hungry. Eating more on some days and barely eating on other days. Nibbling on those "forbidden foods" like taking a couple of my husbands French fries or small bite of a cookie once or twice a week. I am hoping its keeping me from binging. And having sorta cheat meals once a month-ish but not going overboard. Whatever it is, I'll ride this wave as far as it takes me.
I'm down a size in both tops and bottoms. Now I have to go back-to-school shopping again.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-19, 17:46
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsens
I’m missing Teresa and Ang. I have to check up on the old boards now and then to see how my old pals are doing.

I'm here!
Just super busy. Monday I was at work until 7:30 and Tuesday was PT then our
Church Marriage class and we weren't home until 8:30. Then yesterday I was at work until 6 and we decided to go out for a burger (do yall have Five Guys?) and was home at 8 and had to do some grading
LUV YA!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-19, 18:10
Registered Member

BF:

I'm often cold when I'm in good ketosis. Someone FINALLY has a plausible explanation…

"It's your Brown Adipose Tissue. In cold acclimation it becomes more insulin sensitive and uses blood glucose as emergency fuel for generation of UCP-1 in BAT Thermogenesis. When you are keto-adapted glucose availability is low and BAT uses dietary amino acids (protein) for that purpose but as there is no storage in the body for amino acids they are used as provided by diet." (from a post on reddit I found when googling 'cold keto')
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-19, 05:08
Registered Member

BF:

CaCO – Did your mom enjoy the grandparents breakfast? How was the discussion with your dinner guest? Do you and your mom have any insight now? This all sounds so overwhelming. Glad your son is back in school. Sounds great that he will graduate on time. Sad he can’t do the school sports he loves. Will he participate in a travel team?

Kit – stay strong, this is just a blip.

Heidi – you are still doing great. Sounds like you are having a blast with the grandkids.

Ang – your progress is amazing. Sounds like you are in the groove.

This week and next is month end and quarter end. Been super busy! I didn’t really take it easy on Wed. I worked from home for 12 straight hours. Sigh. I went into work on Thurs and getting ready for the office today. I was doing ok, but started feeling really bloated and crampy last night before dinner. Took advil and slept with the heating pad all night.

My gyn said that based on my genetic testing results, in addition to my ovaries and tubes, I should also have my uterus removed. I didn’t ask her about my cervix. My husband says let them take that too. He doesn’t want to lose me to cancer, so wants us to do what we can to avoid it, especially since we have scientific proof of the cancers I am genetically at risk for.

I started doing some research on total hysterectomy and I am really distressed about some of the difficulties that can be caused because of that. I was intending to keep my uterus. Not sure how I feel about all this. Since my gyn no longer does surgery, she referred me to a gyn oncologist. I haven’t called them yet, maybe next week. I am trying to research and get some understanding so I can ask questions about the worries I have.

Not weighing today, still feel pretty bloated.