Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-22, 03:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default The Decapitation of Care, book series

Two books in a projected series on pharmacological distortions in healthcare have been published. This review outlines some of the pertinent details:

The Decapitation of Care: The Healthcare Manifesto

Quote:
This is the first of hopefully about 6 books this year, Fiction, Non-Fiction and who knows what else.

The Decapitation of Care was first given as a Talk in Maastricht in March 2019 –Responsibility, Care and Neuroscience

As mentioned in earlier news features we are looking for authors who can work in a new way in the new health service space – a space that is rapidly occupying the place once reserved for religion and later for political economics. If you are working in the way we are interested in – we’ll know it when we see it but at the moment its difficult to put into words that work – there is every chance that mainstream publishers will not be keen to support your efforts.

My italics. I'm sensing some understatement there.

I have purchased, and on chapter 4, of The Shipwreck of the Singular. This starts deep in history, and I'm into the part about the first beginnings of public health that didn't begin and end with quarantine and superstition.

This review puts it well and sums up the scope of this series:

Quote:
Beginning in 2014, life expectancy in the United States dropped every year for five years straight. This was before the time of Covid, by the way. This is an absolutely unprecedented development which has been completely ignored by the mainstream media.

What is behind this staggering drop in life expectancy? David Healy, a professor of Family Medicine at McMaster University in Ontario, points the finger at a health care system which is centered not on delivering care to the ailing but diseases to those who didn’t even know they were sick – and which also is set up to deliver adverse consequences, up to and including death, with impunity.

The facts back up Dr. Healy’s argument. Forty percent of those over the age of sixty-five take five or more drugs per day, despite overwhelming evidence that being on five or more drugs shortens lives rather than extends them. The pharmaceutical companies have all but abandoned any pretense that they are in the business of saving lives. Since the World Health Organization compiled its first list of “Essential Medicines” in 1977, no new life-saving treatments have emerged other than Gleevec, Triple Therapy for AIDS, and treatments for Hepatitis C. That’s a rather puny haul, given that the cost of prescription drugs has skyrocketed, along with the cost of the system designed to deliver the drugmakers’ wares to us.

My bold, because DAYUM.

Quote:
This is how we got to the point where we now have more hospitalizations for hypoglycemic episodes or falls on antihypertensives than we have for diabetes or hypertension. Treatment-induced death may now by the modal cause of dying, and treatment-induced disability may be the greatest cause of disability.

Dr. Healy notes that medicine once entailed a judicious assessment of risks, weighing the risks of a poison (medicine) or a mutilation (surgery) against the benefits. Now health services have switched to risk management, which actually means covering risks to the service.

My italics. As we've seen in statins, a drug is worth marketing simply because it changes a lab number. Which doesn't necessarily change anything in the body if we are taking a drug simply to change a lab number... and ignore the side effects.

Those of us watching diabetes in our friends and relations as they are urged to take more medicine and "cover" insulin with carbs, only to suffer from diabetic side effects which we KNOW are preventable.

Like it or not, we're part of this change.

Quote:
Shipwreck of the Singular is broken into three parts: 1 The Early Years, 2 The Intervening Years, and 3 Castaways.

Part 1, The Early Years is a fascinating history of the development of medicine and well worth the price of the book in itself. Dr. Healy weaves the history of medicine into the larger historical context, such as the Enlightenment and the Reformation, their philosophers, and the rise of capital...

Part 2, The Intervening Years, tracks the transition into supposedly more scientific medical treatment with the discovery of germs and antibiotics and with the military leading the way.

All of this sets the stage for Part 3, Castaways, which describes the huge amount of harm caused by modern-day, algorithm driven, judgment devoid, medical "services," rather than health "care."

I experienced this when I was visiting new doctors a couple of years ago (finally happy now) and got some kind of dry and persistent cough I couldn't shake because I couldn't sleep because of it. I endured a badminton match of I know what works for me and the PA trying to get to me to take things that didn't work. I probably turned down 5 or 6 totally useless things until they finally gave me a tiny bottle of codeine cough syrup.

Boom! Worked! Three days and I was feeling fine. And not risking exploded Achilles tendons (WHY am I taking this antibiotic with this risk when there is no such risk with the old types?) or the loss of smell and taste I risk when using an OTC steroid (Flonase) for a stuffy nose? These were some of the things I refused.

I don't want to take these risks!

I've read about and had friends of friends SUFFER from misplaced use of steroids routinely prescribed for "inflammation." The people with common colds who used Flonase and then lost their sense of taste and smell remind me of the man who was prescribed steroids for his macular degeneration and wound up completely blind virtually overnight.

The inflammation has a cause, and forcing the body to shut down its immune response lets this hidden cause run wild and do damage.

I searched to find a physician who agrees with me. He's working to get DH off his blood pressure medicine, and then we can tackle the kidney issue that his Nexium caused. I've already gotten him off of THAT.

There's fixes for these things. But the drug companies aren't looking for them.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-22, 05:08

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I just downloaded the book. The attitude that everything is an illness, needs a diagnosis and then needs at least one pill to manage it is rather horrifying.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-22, 07:10

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I can't help but notice the repeated word "health" and "helthcare" in WB's post.

What really gets me is that when I was a kid (admittedly back in the dark ages), you generally only went to a doctor when you were sick, not when you were well. Your doctor was practicing "medicine" at a "medical center", because he was treating sick people, not people who were well.

Nowadays, it seems that almost every single doctor out there is in the business of prescribing medicine, and works at a wellness center, or a health care center.

They won't infer that you're actually sick - they prescribe medicines of all kinds using the argument that those meds will keep you healthy, not because it will make you well. Ironic that if you were actually healthy, you shouldn't need all that medicine to begin with. And the medicine itself has so many side effects (making you sick) that you need more medicine to counteract those side effects, all in the effort to keep you healthy, while ultimately making you sick.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-22, 10:55

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Glad to read you're diving into these books, WB and Jean. Given today's medicine based on questionable Standards of Care intended to be applied to everyone equally and informed by the calculated risk of the mean, medicine has been overtaken by data masquerading as science and informed by the pharmaceutical companies who own the data. Physicians with vast practice knowledge of treatment and individual patient experiences have been subsumed. I finished Shipwrecked a couple weeks ago and am getting ready to dive into "The Decapitation of Care: The Health Care Manifesto."

In the meantime, I've encountered some very interesting information on my quest to replace my primary doctor, who, being my age, retired in June of 2021. At the time, I wondered about his retirement and what could have prompted that, as he enjoyed his profession and had lots of energy. Fast forward to the past couple weeks, and things are starting to make sense, but not in a good way. I received a call from my medical group where my doctor practiced and where I've been a patient since 1987. I was informed that my appointment in November with the doctor recommended to me by my now retired doctor had to be cancelled. They wanted me to reschedule with another doctor, because the recommended doctor just made the decision to retire himself. Hmmm, now this guy is in his 40s and a very popular doctor at that practice due to his collaborative approach. On top of that, another doctor well versed in metabolic health who I see occasionally to confirm I'm on the right path, has just taken a sabbatical. He's also not near retirement age. I'm starting to experience large medical groups managed by administrators who have no medical knowledge or history of treating a variety of patients are tracking physicians to ensure they are treating all patients based on current Standards of Care. No room for collaborative, individualized medicine, because of course, all people are the same and fall into the average cookie-cutter approach in standard treatment. Prescribe a drug or more as people age, because that's what they teach in medical schools that are now primarily funded by pharma and some large "food" manufacturers. Drugs that are often ineffective, result in harmful side effects for many, and increase mortality rates as more medicines are prescribed to the individual as symptoms emerge. These experiences and trends in healthcare are things, as I mentioned in another post, people now must acquire the awareness to take control of their own health and treatment.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-22, 14:09

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

We here are the fortunate ones who have figured out that we have to take control of our own health and not rely on the drug prescribing doctors who use standards of care in place of clinical judgment. As long as pharmaceutical companies control the data and do not allow others access to that data there is absolutely no reason to trust anything that they might say in support of the drugs that they sell.

I seem to be some kind of anomaly. I have been able to lose weight and keep it off and I take not a single prescription drug. All this without the help of a medical professional. I am not an extraordinary person with extraordinary powers. I often wonder why there so few of us given how ordinary I am. A good friend of mine just died of heart disease. His diet was atrocious for as long as I had known him and the medicines he was taking were making him sick. It makes me very sad. I gave up a long time ago suggesting to him that his diet was doing him no favors. Whether or not he could have had a better quality if not quantity of life if he had changed his diet I will never know. Still I wish he had tried.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-22, 14:53

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I seem to be some kind of anomaly. I have been able to lose weight and keep it off and I take not a single prescription drug. All this without the help of a medical professional. I am not an extraordinary person with extraordinary powers. I often wonder why there so few of us given how ordinary I am.
Same here. Every year when I go to the dentist they ask what drugs I'm on and I say "none". Then they start suggesting some in case I think they are so common that they slipped my mind. "No, no, nope!" My teeth and gums are in great shape too, with hardly any tartar buildup. That should be a clue.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-22, 08:01

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Just finished reading the The Decapitation of Care: The Healthcare Manifesto this morning. It's a short, summary version of Shipwreck of the Singular, more recently published. If interested in this topic, I'd recommend Decaptitation, as it covers all key and alarming points in fewer pages. As mentioned a couple times before, it's almost required reading to understand what has happened to medicine as it's become a service industry managed by non-medical professionals. This information confirms my suspicions over the past 10 years and is helpful for navigating through this morass if one needs to choose or visit a doctor. I come away feeling very sorry for the physicians who are committed to patient treatment based on professional experiences and individual patient needs.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-22, 10:42

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Thanks, Rob! I think a simple summary like that is good for most readers.

In any case, our spreading the word about this series will support more writing on the important subject.

Last edited by WereBear : Tue, Oct-11-22 at 11:16.