Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View comments Article tools
I've been low-carbing for 20 years!
Posted by Dodger
Posted Tue, Jan-25-22
Male 71.5 inches
Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default I've been low-carbing for 20 years!

It doesn't seem that long ago to me.
Before I tried reducing my carb intake, I was doing the low-fat dieting regime and finding that my weight was not really going down, my blood chemistry was getting worse, I was on more prescription drugs and my food tasted horrible.
My physician, who had originally put me on low-fat, suggested that I switch to low-carb eating. I resisted at first but he then gave me a copy of Gary Taubes' article "What if It's All Been a Big Fat Lie" and my thinking about not eating fat started to change. My physician then gave me a glucose tolerance test which showed that my blood glucose was within limits but my insulin level was extremely high to keep the glucose down. I was definitely on the way to diabetes.
Once I decided to switch from low-fat to low-carb, I got the book (Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution) and started doing the induction phase. I went through all my cabinets and got rid of all the bread, pasta, rice, flour, etc. that I no longer could eat. I was surprised at how many bags of brown rice I had.
I started losing weight and my food tasted much better. I didn't limit myself on how much to eat, just ate until I was full.
After the induction phase was over, I tried slowly increasing my carb intake but found that I started gaining weight so I went back to the induction carb level. I didn't miss eating carbs and I really enjoyed the higher fat foods.
After about 6 weeks, I noticed that my bicycling speeds had increased on the climbs and I felt more energetic.
At my next blood draw, all my lipids had improved and my blood glucose was lower.
I ended up losing 55 pounds and going off all the prescription drugs. I have continued to eat, more or less, at the Atkin's induction level in the years since although I have used parts of the Keto and Paleo plans in food choices.
I have recently added the 8-16 fasting idea into my eating, so I am mostly doing a Keto intermittent-fasting eating plan.
I still have my weight at the 55-pound loss level and my blood chemistry is great. My fasting blood glucose is low and my fasting insulin level is very low. My LDL particles are of the large variety, my HDL level is twice my triglyceride level and I still feel very energetic. I still don't miss eating carbs.
Article tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Success Photos
Before
In-Progress
Not uploaded yet
After

by cotonpal on Tue, Jan-25-22, 11:55

Great work Mike! I too have been on this journey for around 2 decades and I can't imagine going back to how I used to eat. I too don't miss eating carbs.

7 comments [read all comments]

Article tools