Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-24, 16:53

Plan: Drinking Man's Diet
Stats: 148/148/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Talking HI, I'm New!!

HI, All!!
I would like advice regarding getting enough fiber on a low carb diet!
Many thanx!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-24, 05:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The Drinking Man's Diet was an early low carb diet that recommended about 60g carbs. Sugar, bread, rice, starchy carbs etc were not allowed so most of your carbs come from fiber rich vegetables, e.g. spinach, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, endive, etc. and fruits like berries. A good chart of LC vegetables: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/vegetables. Now you can easily see how much fiber you are eating by using a food tracker app.
Welcome, look around the sub-forums to read other newer suggestions for low carb diets.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Mar-04-24 at 07:22.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-24, 11:54

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

When I started a low carb diets, fiber count went UP. Green beans have more fiber than a muffin. Broccoli has more fiber than a bagel.

These days I recognize sufficient fat also plays a role in the GI,not just fiber.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-24, 11:27

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

For many years, I’ve enjoyed what’s commonly called the One Minute Muffin. Other names: Mug Muffin, Muffin-in-a-Minute, OMM

You can look up countless recipes for this and variations online.

Here’s mine:

1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 egg
1 TBS (or less) olive oil (or any liquid fat)

Optional ingredients:
Cinnamon
1/2 TBS or less sweetener
1/2 TBS protein powder

Mix: Enough oil to just cover the bottom of a coffee mug. Add dry ingredients and egg and mix thoroughly. Pop in the microwave for approx. ONE minute.

WARNING: This is a huge slug of fiber at one time. If you are not used to eating fiber, this could cause digestive upset. Try eating half of it. This dude is extremely filling.

Welcome to our favorite Forum!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-24, 04:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I have autoimmune and gluten sensitivity. Low fiber animal foods work for me, which are staples on low carb, too.

Everyone has their own tolerance, and bad ideas about nutrition push the envelope for someone, somewhere.

I essentially eat all the "wrong" ways: low fiber, salt to taste without fear, lots of animal fat and meat, zero hearthealthywholegrains, and low plant intake. But it works for me SO WELL may I serve as a reminder that your path might not "fit" but the only important part is that what you create fits YOU.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-24, 07:48

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadyMusic
HI, All!!
Many thanx!!!!!

I'm not a medical professional, and I don't know your personal situation, but from personal experience, I can offer this advice.

If you have two small salads every day, or one small salad at one meal and one fist-sized serving of a low carb vegetable at another, together with your proteins, you should have sufficient fiber to feed your gut bacteria.

Be careful about using psyllium. Sure, it provides fiber, but that's all it provides. It doesn't have any micronutrients that you body needs. Also, be careful about how much psyllium you eat at a given meal. Be sure to drink a full glass of water whenever you use psyllium because if you don't, it will make you constipated, and no one wants that.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-24, 11:47
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadyMusic
HI, All!!
Many thanx!!!!!

Mady.. in my search for bread replacements for sandwiches I found mission brand "carb sense" tortilla's. They are high fiber as well as low carb. Also true of Sara Lee "delightful" bread.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-24, 13:05

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Quote:
to feed your gut bacteria.

Be careful about using psyllium. Sure, it provides fiber, but that's all it provides. It doesn't have any micronutrients that you body needs. Also, be careful about how much psyllium you eat at a given meal. Be sure to drink a full glass of water whenever you use psyllium because if you don't, it will make you constipated, and no one wants that.

Right! We are not ruminants.

Insoluble fibers can be used to create fullness but doesn't provide nutrition.The microbes can use a little but generally use soluble types.

The GI microbes is a new field....