Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#226   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-19, 08:19

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
One of the amazing things about traitional diets around the world is that, generally, they were meticulously focused on providing adequate amounts of vitamins A, D, and K2 even before we had names for these nutrients.
Along those lines, one of the major differences between our modern diet and traditional diets is that the food we eat doesn;t give us enough of these vitamins. So the immune system inside our teeth just doesn't have what it needs to do its job. And no matter how well we take care of our teeth from the outside, we often can't avoid tooth decay unless we radically change how we eat.

This is book marvelous-- Dr Lin discusses, fermenting and soaking and sprouting grains; pastuerization and homogenizing dairy; the vegetable oils.

We have bad teeth and we have cancer. Both rampant.

Idea-- could all people keep all their teeth simply by getting enough Vit A, D, and K2???
Sponsored Links
  #227   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-19, 10:58

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Discovered a CHinese groccery today!! All packaging was bilingual, but... even the English words were completely unknown!! A million versions of wheat products... and no NATTO.

In the Dental diet,
" we now know that vitamin K2 plays a role in forming and strngthening bones by activating osteocalcin which ehlps carry calcium into bones. 38 We also know that K2 activates Matrix GLA Protein, which helped remove calcium from arteries to prevent artery hardening. 39"

Basically calcium and vitamin D cannot do the work with out vitamin K2; and explains the increase in heart attack rates ; no increae in bone strength. It also reduces kidney stones. ANd generally is involved with kidney disease. A role in preventing formation of gall stones; and protecting from prostate cancer.

mk-4 is derived from grass fed animals, like butter, chicken, shellfish and emu oil.

MK-7 comes from bacteria production, like natto, sauerkraut, and cheeses ( Gouda and brie)

On p 78, Dr Lin presents 3 diagrams that tell how teeth are alive and how the teeth are able to remineralize and has immunity , IF given the resources. REMARKABLE.

I HIGHLY recommend this book!

You need to find a Japanese grocery store, I bet they would have the Natto. Chinese is different even though they're both asian they eat differently.
  #228   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-19, 17:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
You need to find a Japanese grocery store, I bet they would have the Natto. Chinese is different even though they're both asian they eat differently.

I bothered a patron to ask as every item was new to me. She asked a staffer, they stpped carrying it.

DH says it can be ordered thru walmart.
  #229   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-19, 18:08

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Nattokinase supplement (pills or capsules in a bottle) are available from Walmart. For ordering actual natto (the food) or natto starter spores you might try Amazon.
  #230   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-19, 20:58

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I had natto once when I was visiting Japan (I think it was a friendly test of sorts from our Japanese hosts). It tasted OK, but was rather off putting in texture. I would eat it again, but wouldn't actually seek it out. I would think one could make it oneself, and maybe even with some other base than soy.
  #231   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-19, 10:51

BF:

Im sure it has a "distinctive" taste. Im willing to try it as I already gulp down macha tea in hopes of reducing my risk of cancers. ANd the K2 at Walmart or CVS is pricey compared to buying natto and using it as a starter.

Definitely lots of youtube videos on how to do this with either soybeans, or other beans.

Ran into a friend today-- looking ashen. As usual. He just had prostate and bladder surgery. Cancer. Not willing to change his eating.

Also talked with a woman who takes every supplement for rhumatoid arthritis BUT wont change her diet, no way no how.

I rather like having a previously broken risk WITHOUT arthritis thanks to LC; and would like to chase away any and all possibilities of any cancer, heart disease, or anything a change in diet can prevent.

Talked to another woman( RN) who's son had Lupis. He was tired of the pain and after his son graduated HS, he said good bye. Why are we not able to fix this, or prevent this??

If eating Natto will give me better arteries, better teeth, better health.... I'll find a way to eat it.
  #232   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-19, 07:52

BF:

This is from Gut sense, actually FIBER MENACE, which is printed in full at that site.

Sound familiar???

[/QUOTE]Dental caries (cavities). Powdered (well-milled) fiber of any kind has a natural tendency to lodge itself inside the abrasions both on the chewing surfaces and between the teeth. Once there, it provides perfect feed for normal oral flora. The bacterial fermentation in the mouth produces lactic acids that bind with the minerals that form the enamel mineral matrix. In turn, the weakening of the matrix causes dental caries. That‘s why all kinds of fiber-rich products, especially cereals, are exceptionally destructive for dental health. Not surprisingly, tooth decay is the second most common disease in the United States. The common cold is the first. Weak immunity related to dysbacteriosis happens to be one of the leading causes of most colds as well.
Periodontal disease (gingivitis, necrotizing ulcerative gingivitis, periodontitis). Pulverized fiber lodges easily inside the gingival sulcus, a pocket that exists between the teeth and the gums (gingiva). The bacterial fermentation inside the sulcus causes inflammation of gingiva, the periodontal ligament, and alveolar bone, and eventual tooth loss. Gingivitis—the initial stage of periodontal disease—is easily recognized by bleeding gums. A receding gum line, even without bleeding, indicates the progression of periodontal disease.[QUOTE]
  #233   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-19, 07:06

BF:

Awoke to fuzzy teeth. Was it the almonds, the Greek yogurt or the daikon radish??? Hmm wonder if the nuts have a coating??
  #234   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-19, 05:53

BF:

Changed out toothbrush as it was rather stiff and actually uncomfortable on the gums. Using a child's toothbrush-- very soft!!

Used real toothpaste over the weekend due to being at another place- - strange to use Aim. Very different than the baking soda.

Trying to be mindful of soda as that has creeped back into my diet. Will use Crystal light as a fill in for now. Though definitely have ligit concerns about the AS affect on the gut biome.

Not bought natto yet. No stores Ive checked carry it. Definitely will be an online purchase and until then: Found 2 pkgs of Gouda hidden in the fridge!!

While not directly related, looking at seratonin and the roles it plays ( very complicated ) and the low nutrients that drive lw seratonin levels. Makes me wonder if the multitude of low nutrients also plays an indirect role in gum health and teeth health as many of them are the same as Dr Lin's list.

B vitamins including folates, gut biome health, Vita min C.

Some of the info also revolves around stress and the effects of increasing cortisol and decreasing seratonin: many methods to destress like massage, meditation, Be Happy and have fun. While iM learning to boost seratonin and dopamine, Im looking to see how this too affects the health of the teeth, gums, and bones, too.

Funny thing-- saw MIL yesterday. Shw was going on about all her gum surgeries. I told her about how my gums have grown back.... and her dis beleive was palpable, lol, giving me a quizacle look and re iterating the need for gum surgery.

My gums are in the best shape ever! THe "long in the tooth" lower incisors are not so long in the tooth-- one is actually better than the other. AND the receded gums around the gold- capped tooth has come up to crown ( original setting of the crown) and HOPING it will rise a bit more to protect the underlying tooth, what is left of it after the dentist hacked it up.

Back to seratonin-- milk is the single best source of tryptophan and 2 specific microbes for the gut.....Just consuming yogurt is not a simple answer. Yes, the microbes directly keep the gut innoculated especially if it contains inosintol, but to get the tryptophan to cross the blood brain barrier requires exercise to the point of fatigue. The alternative is to eat carbs to get this boost, which has it's problems.

This was my late night reading that triggered connections to dental health.

https://selfhacked.com/blog/how-to-increase-serotonin/

My one caution is only a few of the items on the list has cautions listed ie LSD, and I do think the information could have been MORE complete if the down side of the suggestions was included. It DOES have the side effects of many, just a few I have heard of are missing. ie how 5 HTP negatively affects growth in children.

Still the BEST by far info on seratonin AND its direct link to dopamine.

We are what we eat!
  #235   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-19, 15:04

BF:

Flossed today. Made gums swell up. Makes me think flossing could be damaging to gums. Still a bit of bleeding, but not like before brushing with baking soda.

Tried several stores to find a good brie at best price. One one concern will all brands is that (1) no age is listed and (2) cant find out if age of cheese affects levels of K2.

President brand has a high oercentage of rind to middle good stuff. And it is a tough rind. Tough. And fuzzy. Like eating white felt, lol.

The $15 a pound brands are very good all around. These are triple cream types.

Market Basket brand is very good flavored, its a double cream. Thick large wheels cut into wedges for wrapping and sale. Thin more delicate rind, smoothish compared to thick fuzz. Roughish, NOT fuzzy. nice ratio of creamy interior to rind. Price is $5 a pound. Very good. Hoping it has at least 50% of the more expensive types.Then its still a good buy.

As I usually eat the wedge over 2 days, it is so yummy.

All recent purchases have been sweet not ammonia ridden, like my first purchase from a high end store.

For those outside New England, look up the DeMoula story where a takeover was vetoed by the employees. The employees walked off the job for weeks until Arther T. was restored to CEO.

Best prices. Best variety.
  #236   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-19, 16:55

BF:

Yes, President is the bottom of the barrel.
Ammonia smell tells me that one was was overripe.
So you have found some better ones? It's hit and miss on finding what you want at the right price that is fresh.
Camembert is a lot like brie but is very hard to find in the US. Most Americans have been introduced to Brie being sold more commercially on a wide scale but not Camembert. I bet it has K-2 also.
I would like to find out what makes K-2 high in this French cheese?? but not in other cheeses......
  #237   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-19, 20:52

BF:

My guess it is the innoculants that create that brie flavor profile that also makes the k2.

Never saw camembert on the k2 lists. Will do a little googling on that.

Gouda is the other cheese mentioned.
  #238   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-19, 21:48

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

There is, of course, always natto for Vit K. I've only eaten it once. We were guests in a Japanese home, and I believe we were offered natto for breakfast as a test of sorts. Our hosts had a sense of humor, and tried out several different, and odd, foods on us. Our sense of adventure, and pride, wouldn't let us refuse, which went over well with our hosts. I can't say that I disliked the natto; the taste was OK, but the texture was strange. With eyes shut it wasn't too bad at all. However, eyes shut, and using chopsticks doesn't work at all well :-). I would certainly eat it again, but wouldn't go searching for it. Gouda and brie are a much more comfortable choice. A capsule twice a day takes up the slack.
  #239   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-19, 22:33

BF:

This is a pertinent talk that I watched.
Dr. Mercola Interviews Dr. Goodman on Vitamin K2 and Its Benefits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPkRdAfuwjg
  #240   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-19, 01:37

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I'll post this here also... cheese and dental:

https://i.imgur.com/n3zG95t.jpg