Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 11:16

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 243/211.8/165 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

It just so happens, senrides, that I'll be on the east coast the weekend of June 3-7 for the "girls' 40th birthday weekend". Where are you planning to ride? I'd like to find out more info on your west coast ride although I hope you'll be passing by on the coast west of me. I grew up on the east coast and the ocean was always on my right when facing north. When I moved to the west coast I kept getting turned around because the ocean is on the "wrong" side. We were able to top off a great ride to the beach last weekend with the sighting of two whales playing right off shore. You're going to love riding out here. It's hilly but beautiful.

I've found that a good protein shake before a ride keeps me going for awhile. Once the glycogen stores are used up I need to refuel. I've been putting Cytomax in my water bottles and snacking occasionally on Sharkies during the ride and it's helped me beat the worn out feeling both during and after the ride. I did a 37 mile paceline ride last week without eating anything for hours before or anytime during the ride. I felt like I was completely hungover the next day. Now I make sure I eat "some" carbs on the ride. I think it varies from person to person so you have to experiment to find out what works for you.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 15:52

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 232/162/162 Male 69 inches
BF:30%/13%/11%
Progress: 100%

The Trek Hybrids were such a disappointment, my wife rode a 7300 fx in a century ride and hated it.

I second your other comment: Never buy department store bikes if you really want to use the bike.

J

P.S. The Sirrus seems rather expensive, especially considering that you don't even get front suspension.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 17:59
Former Couch Potato

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Hi Sen,

You certainly gave me no offense. You make good points and I understand what you are saying.

I, too, am only giving my opinion. I've had two mountain bikes before this hybrid (it's pretty beefy) and for the type of riding I do, it's perfect.

It has very good components and a suspension system similar to most mountain bikes (better than my DH's). I paid just under $700 CDN for it at a local bike shop.

You may be better to go for a straight mtn bike if you're pretty sure you will get serious about it. For me, as much as I love to hit the trails, the reality is I need my bike to work in the city too so that I will use it a lot. I can't afford two bikes.

I don't plan to get heavy into technical mountain biking or really advanced stuff. I like a good single track or old logging road with a few exciting patches and some challenging inclines. My DH and I regularly go on rides of 40 km or so and my regular circuits in the city are 25-30 km. So far, the bike is working out great.

The handlebars are a little more upright which I find really comfortable. And it's got the "girl's style" cross bar -- I suspect this might pose a strength frame problem for advanced mountain biking, but like I said I'm more of an intermediate rider.

To each his own! I'm sure there are a lot of dud hybrids out there, but I'm pretty happy with mine.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 18:03

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 272/261/190 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Wow! All of a sudden, it's cyclists out of the woodwork - I love it! Like many of you, I got back into cycling after years away when I purchased a mountain bike (Kona Hoss - made for big guys!) last October. It's been so much fun and my fitness has improved so tremendously that I plunked down for a road bike a little over a month ago (2002 Bianchi Imola)! I can thank senrides, in part, for encouraging my move to the "dark side" and let me tell you - she knows her stuff! Possibly because - by her own admission - she's already made many of the mistakes the rest of us might.

Anyway, I'm now riding at least 20 miles every other day (soon to be every day) in preparation for several rides I've registered for this summer. My longest will be the 50 mile "Tour de Cure" (a benefit for the American Diabetes Assn. - my page: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg...1671&px=1754771) a little less than a month from now! It's been very exciting to see my speed and endurance increase and my body has never felt better! I continue to ride my mountain bike occasionally as well and like the physical change-up and challenge it provides (it still fatigues me faster than road riding).

I'm also one of the cyclists who plans to join senrides, GypsyAngel and possibly some other LC cyclists from these forums on a Seattle to San Francisco ride in the fall of '05.

As far as things I've learned over my 6+ months of riding:

1) I'd first like to agree with the others who suggest buying a good quality bike! Find a good local bike shop (LBS) and spend some time test riding several options. Don't be in a huge hurry and avoid making a mistake you'll have to live with. Remember, a good quality bike doesn't have to cost a fortune and - if you need to start with a lower-cost bike - most components can be upgraded later as your abilities increase.

2) Once you find the bike you want, MAKE SURE to have the bike professionally fit to you - not the other way around! This includes things like stem height, handlebar reach and saddle position/height. They are so important in order to prevent injuries which could prevent you from riding for months!

3) Start slowly! I made the mistake of being a bit overzealous when I began riding again last October. The result? Patellar tendonitis! Fortunately I caught it early enough so it doesn't cause me much pain at all, but my knee now makes a nice crunching sound when I climb steps! This was completely my fault and I've since adjusted my training schedule to prevent overuse injury. So, while you may be excited to be back on a bike, build the speed and the distance you ride slowly and don't push big gears!

4) Get yourself some proper cycling attire. If you have a fear of lycra - and most of us did when we got into cycling - at least look for a pair of loose-fitting cycling shorts with a chamois pad. They make a HUGE difference in comfort on the saddle. And please note, you wear these COMMANDO (no undies!). The whole idea is that the chamois keeps...ahem...things in place (especially for us guys) and prevents chafing! If you wear them with undies, you've got guaranteed chafing.

5) Have fun! And welcome to Low-Carb Cycling! I'll post some of what I've discovered regarding LC nutrition and other subjects later - for now, I've used up enough space...

Last edited by CarbsBeGon : Wed, May-19-04 at 18:11.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 18:17
Former Couch Potato

Great tips CBG!

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about defending hybrids. I just looked up my bike on the Norco site.

They list their mountain bikes under the "adventure" category.

"Hybrids" have their own category. My bike -- a Carrera -- is in the "Comfort" category.

Here is how they define them:

COMFORT -- Built for the recreational cyclist, our Comfort bikes are inspired by mountain bikes, but given that added "Plush" touch. (Me likes!) On all models, you’ll find suspension forks and seat posts, as well as larger, plusher saddles. Compared to mountain bikes, the frames tend to be shorter and the handlebars are set up with a higher rise, which gives a more comfortable and upright riding position. Clear coat paint, stainless steel spokes and simple maintenance free components are the standard for these bicycles, ensuring long lasting good looks and easy enjoyable riding.

HYBRID -- If hitting a bike path on a warm sunny day, or cruising to work in style and comfort is more your speed, then a 2004 Hybrid or Trekking series bike from Norco is geared for you. Oriented towards the city rider who prefers smoother trails or bike paths, or who regularly commutes to work, this line-up offers great features like larger wheels and smoother tread tires for faster rolling. These bikes also include small details like the eyelets needed for installing fenders and racks. Our designers had only two things in mind when working on these bikes: build comfortable rides that offer great value, and that utilize easy-to-use components. Anyone of these bikes will get you to your destination in comfort and style

Here are my bike's specs. (I was wrong about cost-- $590 plus tax). Can anyone suggest any good upgrades?

FRAME: 6061 Aluminum Comfort design. O/S teardrop tubes

FORK: SR NEX 4000 Supension

HEADSET: 1 1/8"threaded

CRANKS: Shimano Nexave 303 triple 48/38/28T

BOTTOM BRK: Shimano UN-25

PEDALS: VP-608 alloy with alnti slip tread

CHAIN: KMC IG-31

FREEWHEEL: Shimano 8 spd hg30 11-32t

FRONT CHANGER: Shimano C1021

REAR CHANGER: Shimano Deore

SHIFTERS: Shimano EF35 8 spd

BAR: H.L. alloy riser

STEM: Kalloy AL812 alloy adjustable rise

FRONT BRAKE: Tektro 832 alloy V brakes

REAR BRAKE: Tektro 832 alloy V brakes

BRAKE LEVERS: Shimano EF-35 8 spd Combo

FRONT HUB: Formula OV-31 qr alloy

REAR HUB: Shimano alloy 8 spd qr

RIMS: DBM-1 double wall alloy

SPOKES: Stainless silver

TIRES: Kenda K-934 26x1.95 anti puncture casing

SADDLE: Velo VL-6025 elas tomer/reflective backing

SEATPOST: Kalloy SP-259 suspension

COLOURS: Dark Blue/Silver

SIZES: 14,16,18,20,22, [15,17,19 ladies]

#21   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 19:37
Circling...

Stats: 230/222/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi y'all!
I thought I'd jump in here after Carbs pointed this thread out to me. I've recently gotten back into riding. Used to mountain bike while living in Colorado in the late 90's but hadn't been on a bike for a while. There's not a whole lot of mtbing in my area now so I thought I'd look into road biking... and thanks to all the advice and encouragement from Sen and Carbs I actually find myself in the saddle at least 4 times a week.
I still ride my old clunky mtb which I had tuned up and put slicks on for the road. Wasn't ready to buy a road bike at that time until I knew if I was going to keep biking. Knowing my history of jumping into things with both feet.... dumping a ton of money..... and then shelving whatever it is I started I decided to put some money into my present bike and eventually will research and invest in a good road bike. I've already accosted Sen for help with that! LOL!
So after I tuned up the bike I broke down and invested in lycra!!!!!! Yes I did! I swore I wouldn't. Obviously not a pretty site at my size but I figured I better take the advice and just do it. And I am so glad I did. In the past I used one of those gel seat cover things (stop laughing, Sen) and the shorts make a huge comfort difference. I am much more comfortable with shorts and bare saddle. And if you wear a baggie tee shirt you can't see much of the lycra anyway.
So my next step is to buy a decent road bike and continue pedaling. I will hopefully be part of the Slackers Seattle to SanFrancisco trip. (Even if all I'm doing is driving the SAG car LOL!).

Nice meeting you all!
Gypsy
  #22   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 09:37

Stats: 263/219/150 Female 5'6"
BF:not done yet
Progress: 39%

This is incredible, truly, because I've only ever caught a few cycling-oriented things going on here This is Bike to Work week, too, any coincidence?

Jeff - I'd never really thought the Sirrus was overpriced, or at least not comped to things like the 7500fx that were also available at the time. (Haven't followed Trek since, except for an occasional druel over the new 5.9 Madone....) I do know that we've had to switch to a Salsa stem, carbon bars, and upgrade the brakes just to make this one right for us, and then neither of us ever ride it...... (BTW- anyone wanting a flatbar road bike apply within )

I liked the look of the tubing on the Marin frames in 2002 - sort of triangulated, right? The nearest serious dealer was up in Charlotte, though. Unfortunately they sell their stuff only in Galyans around here, and Galyans is the kiss of customer service death...... Irregardless (I always wonder if that is a real word?) my guess is you all are happy out there with Rodriguez winning that Giro stage a couple of days ago......

Kaillean - I've never seen Norco, are they purely Canadian? The specs on your bike are good - we've a friend that races xc on deore while everyone else goes highpriced, but he wins. I am a chicken when it comes to bruising so I never go offroad. and just tend to look at those of you that do with something like trepidatious awe.

Teardrop - I do totally get my coasts turned around for exactly the reason you mentioned! Shameful! I'll be up north the weekend before the 3rd, but if you are hereabouts (Atlanta area) at any time period we have three morning rides that weekend after the 3rd and it'd be a blast to have you ride with.
I'm also seriously thinking about doing the Puget Sound RAPsody ride in August because I am visiting a friend there at that time - http://www.rapsodyride.org/ - and yes, you are correct, it'd be hard for our west coast ride to pass east of you next year, LOL!

For everybody out there that is still battling the bulge - I do have this one link for gals sizes in cycling kit as well as Tri and running gear, in plus sizes - http://www.teamestrogen.com/

Lastly, SRD, I am terribly sorry if I've overexpanded and misdirected your excellent thread here. Please ride! Soon and often, and tell everyone what a blast it is when you have!

Allez Y'all!

sen
I just realized
  #23   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 12:52
Former Couch Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by senrides
Kaillean - I've never seen Norco, are they purely Canadian? The specs on your bike are good - we've a friend that races xc on deore while everyone else goes highpriced, but he wins. I am a chicken when it comes to bruising so I never go offroad. and just tend to look at those of you that do with something like trepidatious awe.

Hi Sen,

Yep, Norco is Canadian. They were the first to bring BMX bikes to Canada and are a very reputable company here. I'm a chicken, too, and don't do any extreme off roading. Probably what I do would be more aptly described as cross-country than pure mtbing. I don't do a lot of technical stuff (see above mentioned chicken reference) but when you hit the North Shore trails here, you have to be able to at least do some basic moves and deal with the steep inclines.

I'm more interested in the scenery and a challenging ride than trying to leap of 6 foot boulders with my bike.

There are lots of road riders here, too, of course. But the proximity of some of the best mtbing in the world means a lot of locals have had at least some exposure to trail riding.

You've probably heard of Whistler, which will host the 2010 winter Olympics along with Vancouver. In the summer, tons of people head there, take their bikes up the lifts and ride down through an amazing network of trails. From beginner level to advanced, there is something for everyone. And the scenery is not to be believed. We're heading that way this weekend -- to the Ashlu Valley near Squamish -- I'll post some pics on Monday.

Happy peddling, everyone!
  #24   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 12:59
Former Couch Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyAngel
Hi y'all!
So after I tuned up the bike I broke down and invested in lycra!!!!!! Yes I did! I swore I wouldn't. Obviously not a pretty site at my size but I figured I better take the advice and just do it. And I am so glad I did. In the past I used one of those gel seat cover things (stop laughing, Sen) and the shorts make a huge comfort difference. I am much more comfortable with shorts and bare saddle. And if you wear a baggie tee shirt you can't see much of the lycra anyway.
So my next step is to buy a decent road bike and continue pedaling. I will hopefully be part of the Slackers Seattle to SanFrancisco trip. (Even if all I'm doing is driving the SAG car LOL!).
Gypsy - I just tossed my gel saddle pad, too! What a riot. They slip all over the place. THe shorts are much better. I'm stilll thrilled to find ones I can fit into. Used to be a time when nothing in the outdoors stores would fit me properly.

I got my DH into some spandex, too, which is pretty funny. He grew up in redneck central and watching him adjust to the city and such horrors as spandex for men has been a riot. He was happy to discover the padded chamois "undies" that he can wear under his regular clothes.

I think he's scared one of his old buddies will pull up behind him at a light in their pickup truck and see his shiny, Lycra butt! LOL!
  #25   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 15:09

BF:

Okay, as promised, I've got a bit more blathering to do! As for staying low-carb while cycing, I wanted to highlight that Atkins actually has some decent articles written on the subject.

Here they are:
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/11/28-742445.html
http://atkins.com/Archive/2003/11/21-571145.html
http://atkins.com/helpatkins/newfaq...ompetitive.html

I actually haven't been changing much when I ride moderate distances (around 20 miles) and have yet to bonk. When I know I'll be going further and for longer periods, I do add carbs via granola/Power bars and/or a sports drink. As one of the articles mentions above, Because fat burning does require some carbohydrate metabolism, it is recommended that in events lasting an hour or more, 30 to 60 grams of carbohydrate should be ingested to enhance performance (amount depending upon intensity and duration of exercise).

Following that advice, I tested this almost 2 weeks ago for the first time. Knowing I would be riding for about 3-4 hours and nearly 40 miles, I had a Power Bar about 30 minutes before the ride. It had roughly 20g of carbs. Midway though the ride - and I was feeling a bit fatigued - I purchased a "Trek" energy drink (www.trekenergy.com) that had about 30g of carbs. Both of these together gave me more than enough energy to finish the ride and had no negative effect on my weight (didn't gain - and even lost a pound a day later). I'm not saying this will work for everyone, because I know people's bodies and the way they respond to nutritional changes are very different; but it did work for me. On my upcoming rides, I plan to follow this same strategy - granola bar before the ride and sports drink like Trek mixed with water for during. Hopefully that will continue to keep me well nourished and hydrated...

Oh yeah, Bicycling Magazine had a very interesting article about protein vs. carbs in June's issue as well. I'll either scan it or try to find a link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaillean
You've probably heard of Whistler, which will host the 2010 winter Olympics along with Vancouver. In the summer, tons of people head there, take their bikes up the lifts and ride down through an amazing network of trails. From beginner level to advanced, there is something for everyone. And the scenery is not to be believed. We're heading that way this weekend -- to the Ashlu Valley near Squamish -- I'll post some pics on Monday.

Oh wow, I'll be looking forward to those pics! That's one of those "be all, end all places" I want to go someday. I understand the trails are truly amazing!

LOL, your husband's fear of "shiny lycra butt" is not uncommon, but once he truly realizes how comfortable lycra shorts are (and not just for the chamois), he won't care!
  #26   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 15:57
Former Couch Potato

Thanks for the links. Good refresher!

The second article is interesting. That's where you pulled that quote from. Note in that quote it doesn't say at what point to ingest the carbs. But the inference, from reading the rest is that it should be "during" - did you interpret it that way? Earlier in the same article, it points out that eating carbs prior to exertion might lead to an insulin spike, thereby making less glucose available. Mmmmm.

I must say my experience is that having about 20-30 g of carbs in the form of an apple or something does help me get going, but I did notice last time that I got really hungry mid ride (and had forgotten my nuts!) So maybe there is something to the insulin spike. No problems with endurance, though. And I didn't notice any real bonking after the "hungries" kicked in.

Interesting. More experimenting is in order!
  #27   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 16:15

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

It's nice to see so many cyclists here. I must confess, I'm not as ambitious as most of you, although I certainly admire your enthusiasm. I take my Jamis Dakar mountain bike out on the trails basically to get some fresh air, exercise and stress relief. I think cycling is a terrific activity--I spent much of my childhood on a bike and it feels very natural to me.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 16:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaillean
Note in that quote it doesn't say at what point to ingest the carbs. But the inference, from reading the rest is that it should be "during" - did you interpret it that way?

More experimenting is in order!

That article - while informative - is not terribly well written, is it? I did not infer that those carbs should be ingested "during," but you are correct, it does clearly state that having carbs right before exercise could have a deleterious effect. Somewhat confusing, but I took that to mean carbo-loading - like over 1,000 grams of carbs. Not sure on that either, though! LOL Perhaps an e-mail to Atkins is in order.

Another confusing bit about the article is that it talks about ingesting said carbs 3-4 hours before activity. If you're riding an early morning race/training ride, that's mighty tough to do! I suppose you could have them the night before...

Oh well, perhaps in spite of that article, the aforementioned process of having some carbs about 30 minutes - an hour before activity and then during (if it's a long ride), still seems to work for me. I agree though, more experimentation is in order...
  #29   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 17:01

Stats: 195/148/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Thanks for the low-carb cycling links. Since I'm usually trailering my 2 year old, I don't normally exceed 15-20 miles total distance but I want to slowly increase this over the summer. I'm still wishing someone had "beginner" group rides, because I'd love the social aspect of it, but it could be a long time til I increase my pace.

I'm going to start experimenting with a few carbs here and there before rides to see where I get the best results.

I couldn't live without my lycra shorts and Terry saddle. And I don't care how stupid I look in the lycra (bulgy bulgy), my comfort is much more important! I also prefer gel gloves because I abuse my wrists typing all day for my job, and they cushion the hand/wrist well.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 17:27

Stats: 263/219/150 Female 5'6"
BF:not done yet
Progress: 39%

Hi again!

I'm the one that has the spike and crashes if I take carbs, period, so that part of the article was written just for me. I bonk, and like a dog at noon in August, if I do carbs Any, even. I'm thinking maybe when I loose more things may be different. At least, that's what I keep telling myself because I really want TWINKIES, my bain, to be my carb snack <evil grin> - http://www.pearlizumi.com/pearlizum...ctColorsTB=7584

Welcome Twilightz! That is quite a bike to get out on! The guy that I know that rides the deore drivetrain, his dad was 'grassroots sponsored' by Jamis last year on a Dakar! It's a ride of distinction...

Oh, one quicky - gel gloves rock, and now, even better, there is Bar Phat for roadies that can go mtb, too! http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqSec...4EquipGripsTape (a gal I ride with uses bartape instead of grips on her bars, and wraps two of the pads that come in the package beneath it...

Allez Y'all!

sen