Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Dec-26-08, 03:31

Plan: general
Stats: 166/161.5/145 Female 5'4"
BF:Sure is!
Progress: 21%

To me, they were tough and un-pasta-like. Did not repurchase.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Dec-27-08, 19:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Again
Stats: 190/190/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Wow

Thanks guys, usually if you prepare tofu correctly, it taste like whatever you want it to. I will buy a small bag and try it. But I'm not really a tofu person, but I miss my pasta
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-08, 19:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

I use them in a lot of ways, but the best is in stir fry or soups or broth type dishes.

If you are going to use them in an Italian style dish, rinse them, par boil them and drain them well! They will still let off a bit of water and weaken even the thickest sauce.

As to the texture, obviously that are an acquired thing, but I love them. And I also use Dreamfields.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-09, 11:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Again
Stats: 190/190/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
There are two different types of Shirataki Noodles, I have both in the fridge and there is not a huge difference in my opinion. There is a tofu version that is low in carbs. Then you have the others which are a type of yam and has equal amount carbs to fiber so you have 0 net carbs.

Thanks so much everyone for your info , Umm I'm still a bit skeptic

Get2Bslim,
although you said theres not much difference in the 2 kinds, Does the yam-like ones stink also? Do they also taste like tofu?
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-09, 19:27

Stats: 185/166/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 42%

I have a bag of shirataki noodles in my refrigerator... I really want to use them with my alfredo sauce. Reading the comments I'm almost afraid to try them!

The bag says to rinse, par boil (whatever the heck that is... google here I come) then pat dry. The alfredo sauce is SO yummy... I'd think it' would cover most any flavors... Maybe I can make this stuff tomorrow...

My hubby 'says' he is doing low car with me (finally) but he keeps sneaking carby things.

I'll let you know how I like them!

zodea
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-09, 20:42
Registered Member

Plan: Little Atkinish
Stats: 180/164/100 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Does the yam-like ones stink also? Do they also taste like tofu?

The yam ones smell to high heaven like fish. BUT if you rinse them in cold water for a minute or two you will remove all the smell. As far as taste, they are pretty tasteless. Just extremely chewy. They have the texture of squid.

The recipe I put up is admittedly very yucky sounding but it is really good especially for these noodles.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-09, 14:29
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/140/128 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress:

yes, you definitely have to rinse them well, i thought they were acceptable in a non-descript kind of way. used them in an oriental soup recipe and liked them alot.

have never tried dreamfields.... i think they have some artificial ingredients that i wasn't too fond of eating....
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-09, 18:47

Stats: 185/166/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodea
I have a bag of shirataki noodles in my refrigerator... I really want to use them with my alfredo sauce. Reading the comments I'm almost afraid to try them!

The bag says to rinse, par boil (whatever the heck that is... google here I come) then pat dry. The alfredo sauce is SO yummy... I'd think it' would cover most any flavors... Maybe I can make this stuff tomorrow...

My hubby 'says' he is doing low car with me (finally) but he keeps sneaking carby things.

I'll let you know how I like them!

zodea

Things went well. Yes the texture was a bit chewy compared to pasta. I rinsed, parboiled, dried, then put in with the Alfredo sauce and heated again. I only ate about 4 ounces of the noodles and was satisfied. I will probably do them again sometime. I liked these better with the Alfredo sauce than the sphagetti squash.