Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#286   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-12, 10:59

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I monitor local restaurants as part of my job. At least a third of them are now featuring gluten free items on their menus.
Sponsored Links
  #287   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-12, 14:50

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Dr Davis was just on Kelly!...maybe his wheat message will now actually overtake the sexy novels on Amazon's bestseller list. Kelly ended with "Get the Book..it will Change your life". Wow.
I thought he was excellent in the short amount of time they gave him. Stayed on message, compared alternate foods, brought some of his good recipes for bread and remained focused and calm.
Only problem was I had to watch the whole hour, he was last on the show. The rest was mindless drivel, but hey, his message seemed well-received...or is everyone forced to clap wildly?
Luckily I set it up to record when you first mentioned it so I was able to FFwd past the mindless drivel. I wish they had given him more time to explain why not to eat wheat, rather than rushing through the comparison meals and having the music start just as he was getting to dinner. People probably got the idea that it is a diet cookbook, not mostly an educational book. And yes, shows like that have Applause signs for the audience to obey.
  #288   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 05:02

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr. Davis has a link to the show on his blog, for anyone who didn't have the foresight to tape it and wisely avoid the rest of the show
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/...e-with-kelly-2/
Wheat Belly is hanging on to #6 on Amazon bestsellers (and has been 278 days in the top 100 books) amazing for a nutrition book, but it still doesn't outsell sex.
  #289   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-12, 04:14

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The FoodNetwork Health Blog dietician writes a negative review of Wheat Belly and asks for readers' experience with the "diet".
There are almost 300 comments now, mostly stating how easy it is to follow and listing numerous health improvements. I hope as commenters have suggested that The Food Network gets their head out of the sand and offer a gluten-free and sugar-free or Paleo show.
http://blog.foodnetwork.com/healthy...eat-belly-diet/
  #290   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-12, 06:09

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
The FoodNetwork Health Blog dietician writes a negative review of Wheat Belly and asks for readers' experience with the "diet".
There are almost 300 comments now, mostly stating how easy it is to follow and listing numerous health improvements. I hope as commenters have suggested that The Food Network gets their head out of the sand and offer a gluten-free and sugar-free or Paleo show.
http://blog.foodnetwork.com/healthy...eat-belly-diet/

Wow, the number of positive comments about Wheat Belly is overwhelming. This is my comment, pasted here cuz I'm not sure about that website's moderator rules.
Quote:
"Going cold turkey isn’t an effective way to teach someone good habits. Many folks will stop this diet just as quickly as they started it."

Maybe that's true. But this suggests several things. First, going cold turkey says wheat is a big part of our diet. It is. Next, saying something like 'going cold turkey' says maybe we're talking about an addiction. From the responses we get when we tell people to stop eating bread (over my dead body, I'll go nuts, are you crazy?, etc), I think we can safely say we are dealing with an addiction. Finally, if we eat a varied diet, we go cold turkey every time we eat one food but not another, or eat one food only occasionally thus not at all the rest of the time. It's safe to say our habits already include going cold turkey so that's not a problem on its own.

The unhealthy argument. That's just not true. Wheat doesn't contain unique nutrition we can't get anywhere else. If you cut out wheat, you'll eat more of other foods, net result is same nutrition. If wheat is indeed bad for all the reasons cited by Dr Davis, net result is the opposite of unhealthy. Either way, cutting wheat can't be bad health wise.

It's true that we can refute many statements made by Dr Davis, and the in-depth analysis by Dr Julie Jones is an example of that. But then again, we can also refute many statements made by Dr Julie Jones in that in-depth analysis. Take out all refutable statements and keep only those that are true. We're left with things like weight loss, health improvements, and specific statements with regards to celiac and gluten. Cutting out wheat looks better by the minute.

I don't know where the fasting comment comes from. But on its own, prolonged fasting is done by many cultures precisely to get a benefit. The term 'prolonged' is vague so we'd have to define specific parameters.

There's no difference in the choice of foods when we travel or dine out compared to eating at home. It's a world economy, you see. If you want to abstain from eating wheat anywhere in the world, you can. The choice of foods is virtually as wide as there are cultures, countries, restaurants, and people. However, it's true that wheat dominates our western diet, and it does become a chore when you want to be absolutely sure you don't eat wheat. That's a serious problem for celiac sufferers especially.

Personally, I have tried a wheat-free diet. However, I can't say it's cutting out the wheat specifically that brought about my improvements in weight and health because during a time, I ate only meat. It could have been the sugar, the starch, the wheat, or all of the above. But based on all aspects of wheat - i.e. we eat a lot of it, it contains lots of carbohydrates thus interferes with blood glucose and fat metabolism - we can reasonably expect to see a positive change if all we do is cut out wheat, and eat more of the other foods we already eat to compensate.

I counted the number of comments that agree with the article: Zero.
  #291   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-12, 10:46

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

I'm not surprised that TFN is so adamant about wheat. Most of its shows feature the food, and they'd have to revamp those shows and probably get a new lineup of hosts if they changed their official position. What really surprised me was the criticism from Melissa McKewan.
  #292   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-12, 11:23
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It sounds like Melissa doesn't acknowledge issues with gluten outside of the very narrow medically defined ones of celiac disease and gluten ataxia.

There may not be a ton of evidence for all the other stuff seemingly linked to wheat, but the anecdotal evidence is hard to ignore.
  #293   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-12, 15:02
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 198/136/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 107%

So I finally read "Wheat Belly" - and am of a different opinion than most on this board. I have zero issues with wheat, in fact, they help my chrones. What I do have a problem with is green vegi's - they put me in a bad flare, spasms, bloating, cramps and it takes forever to get out of a flare.
I think diet is very individual - there is no one-size-fits-all. If you don't try it for yourself, then you really don't know what impact anything has on your body
  #294   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-13, 18:31

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

I was just browsing the best seller list on Amazon and was amazed to see Wheat Belly still way at the top well over a year after first published:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #27 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
#1 in Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Diets & Weight Loss > Gluten Free
#2 in Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Nutrition
#2 in Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Diets & Weight Loss > Weight Loss

The Kindle version is also on these lists. (Why it would be separate seems a bit weird to me.)

The cookbook seems to be doing well too.

I just recently read Dr. Lustig's book, Fat Chance, and couldn't help but think "if only he had read Dr. Davis's book too". I thought the first part of the book where he discusses the evilness of sugar and in general takes on "calories in, calories out" quite effectively, and even caustically, was quite impressive but then he totally wimped out with his diet recommendations. Quite disappointing really.
  #295   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-13, 04:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
I just recently read Dr. Lustig's book, Fat Chance, and couldn't help but think "if only he had read Dr. Davis's book too". I thought the first part of the book where he discusses the evilness of sugar and in general takes on "calories in, calories out" quite effectively, and even caustically, was quite impressive but then he totally wimped out with his diet recommendations. Quite disappointing really.

An earlier article referenced on this board indicated that Dr. Lustig has a "wheat problem" because he uses the fact he has a full time job and kids to justify half a bagel in the morning.

That bagel turns to sugar, doc!
  #296   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-13, 06:07
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

For those who have an Audible.com membership, "Wheat Belly" is there Daily Deal today and is available as an audiobook download for $2.95.