Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-09, 11:27
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Fat Head is here!

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...head-the-movie/

It's a movie that rebuts the nonsense Morgan Spurlok did in Supersize me.

I'm ordering mine now!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-09, 11:48

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

I just ordered mine too. I really liked the interview, especially the part about how he transformed his own views throughout the project by reading GCBC, and then going very low carb for a month.
I hope the movie does well.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-09, 14:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/129.4/133 Female 160cm
BF:28%
Progress: 112%

I'm getting it as soon as it becomes available here.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-09, 14:55

#5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-09, 15:18

Plan: LC since 1/15/09
Stats: 317/278/217 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 39%

They should get a theatrical release. Anyway to petition for that?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-09, 22:03
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%
Default Low Carb? Not so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJ
he transformed his own views throughout the project by reading GCBC, and then going very low carb for a month.

Not only didn't he do "very low carb" - he didn't do any kind of low carb, unless by low carb you mean over 130 grams of carbohydrate on a day he consumed 2000 calories. As he states on his site, specifically his Food Log page: http://www.fathead-movie.com/MyFoodLog.htm

"This is more of a modified Zone diet than a true low-carb diet. Normally I limit my carbs even more than this, but I was aiming for fast-food meals I think most people would be willing to try. Some people just can't bring themselves to give up starches completely."

While I understand his motive was to Un-SuperSize, and the movie most likely succeeds on this level, we might want to reconsider promoting it to folks as being a low carb way of eating as many of us understand it here. I don't believe it will change anyone's lowfat point of view, if that's their mindset when they see it.

And I worry that people considering LC will say "oh, look - I can have fries and buns if I want!" and then complain that LC "doesn't work" when they fail to lose weight. His comment about believing that some folks are not able to "give up starches completely" shows that he may have read GCBC for theory, but maybe he should have read Atkins for learning how to eat a sustainable LC WOE.

My 2 cents; YMMV

Lisa
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 09:44

Plan: None in particular
Stats: 180/170/160 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by awriter
His comment about believing that some folks are not able to "give up starches completely" shows that he may have read GCBC for theory, but maybe he should have read Atkins for learning how to eat a sustainable LC WOE.
[/size][/size][/font]

Maybe it's just honesty. Most of his meal days fall just above 100 carbs a day on a fast-food diet and honestly considering what he's eating, that's pretty impressive. Truth be told, there are a great number of people who WON'T give up starches completely no matter what they know.

After watching the blurbs on the film's website, it seems to me that it IS advocating LC and VLC while at the same time disproving the array of lies in Super Size Me. The little flash animation bits are cute.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 09:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think one of the movie's premise is that Morgan Spurlok lied or did something underhanded to get the results he did. Spurlock has never made his food logs public.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 10:16

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by awriter
Not only didn't he do "very low carb" - he didn't do any kind of low carb, unless by low carb you mean over 130 grams of carbohydrate on a day he consumed 2000 calories. As he states on his site, specifically his Food Log page: http://www.fathead-movie.com/MyFoodLog.htm

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I wasn't referring to the movie or his food log, I was referring to his one month of eating a-la Eades. The "saturated fat pigout":

Quote:
Q: As you explain to the viewers near the end of the film, I encouraged you to try a high-fat, very low-carb diet to see what would happen with your lipids. You went on what you called a “saturated-fat pigout” for a month, and your total cholesterol went down and your HDL went up, as I predicted. But you didn’t mention what happened with your weight during that month. Did you gain or lose?
A: Yes, after our first interview, you told me off-camera that I could prove to myself that the Lipid Hypothesis was wrong, and I did, to my great relief. To tell you the truth, I was kind of sweating it out, waiting for the lab results to come back. I believed what you were telling me, but after a month of eating burgers and steaks and bacon and eggs, there was part of me wondering if I was going to get back a lipid panel that would just say “You’re going to die” across the top. If my cholesterol numbers had gone all out of whack, it wouldn’t have done very much for the premise of my film. But as you predicted, the numbers all improved.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 12:08
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I have done the 1/2 a muffin thing too-- but I don't eat the 'hash browns'
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 14:40

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
I think one of the movie's premise is that Morgan Spurlok lied or did something underhanded to get the results he did. Spurlock has never made his food logs public.

Yes, that's exactly it. Spurlock would have had to super size each and every meal PLUS add 2 desserts.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 23:47

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

In supersize me I think we saw what high fat, high carb, moderate protein can do. While it wasn't rocket science I think it was fairly factual and accurate within the limitations of what he did.

ps - I am ordering fat head, and quite agree it is likely to be a lot more accurate than supersize me, which I thought a hoot.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-09, 00:08

I also enjoyed Supersize me at the time although I was more than mildly annoyed that all his woes were blamed on the high fat diet with only a small mention about the huge amount of sugar consumed.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-09, 12:44
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I liked the "Big Fat Lies" clip off this page-- it really sums up the concept of bogus

http://www.fathead-movie.com/
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-09, 01:21

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 215/195/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Fat Head definitely promotes low-carb

I did eat more starch than a true low-carb diet would allow in order to demonstrate losing weight on a fast-food diet. I can still lose weight at 100 grams or thereabouts. Some days I had more, some days fewer.

Frankly, if we got most people down to around 100 grams of carbs per day, it would be a huge improvemet. The average intake today is around 500 grams.

When you see the film, you'll see that I definitely zero in on sugar and starch as the cause of Metabolic Syndrome (I'm more worried about that than I am obesity per se) and rip the anti-fat campaigns of the past few decades.

Enjoy!
Tom Naughton
Producer, "Fat Head"