Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 06:45
Arizona 215 lb Loser

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 327/315/190 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by davista
I gave a demo to some of my friends who have started somersizing as well. They were having trouble believing they wouldn't feel deprived. So I took over some BLT lettuce wraps, two of my favorite soups, some cheesecake, coleslaw, iced tea and let them sample away.

They said forget the software business, I should open a somersized restaurant!

How about a cooking show?! Sounds great. I'd love to sample some of your creations too! And thanks for the idea of using the cauliflower for rice. I hadn't heard of that one yet. I think I'll give that a try right away...
Dean
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 09:03

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 167/147/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 54%

Hey Dean,

You're welcome about the rice. It helped make the stir-fry meals work for me again. And now that I've tried ThickenThin's not/Starch thickening powder, I can make the sauce a little thicker too. It did wonders for my peppercorn sauce that I like to have on steaks.

I've done what Sandylee has done as well, seen recipes and then come up with my own version, as well as collected a bunch of others in the last three months. Some work, some don't but I get asked for them sometimes so maybe I'll throw them on my web server. If I do, I'll give you guys the URL and you can have a look. Maybe I'll put pictures of them up there too so you can see how the dishes turn out. It's an easy way to share recipes.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 19:30

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Maybe we could start our own low carb on-line store! Everybody could make whatever specialties they make and ship it to the customers!!!!
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 19:34

Stats: 167/147/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 54%

I'm not sure how well my coleslaw would stand up to shipping.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 21:05
Registered Member

Stats: 195/153/125 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 60%

Hi, everyone! It's great to read everyone's stories. I especially love the description of this WOE as one of creativity, not of deprivation. I tried Weight Watchers and lost 20 lbs, but that was such a painful way to lose weight. I couldn't stand starving all the time.

This is my second kick at the can. I first started Somersizing in October 2001 when a friend of mine tried Somersizing and lost 20 lbs. When I found myself thinking "I'd be so happy if I could lose 20 lbs", I realized that it was time for me to do something. I lost 30 lbs by February 2002 but started cheating here and there and soon it was everywhere. And so I gained back 20 of those hard-lost lbs.

In January of this year, I started Somersizing again. It's been a slow pound here, pound there but the weight is staying off and I'm wearing a size 12 for the first time in nearly 10 years. I've lost 32 lbs this year and I'm more than halfway to goal now.

Personally, I don't make a lot of the recipes, in the books or from the SS boards. My usual day is whole grain toast with no sugar added berry jam for breakfast, fruit for a mid-morning snack, leftovers for lunch and meat or fish with vegetables for dinner. I occasionally have berries with Somersized mousse (whipped cream and cream cheese) or Splenda-sweetened freeze pops for dessert but I try not to indulge too often. Eating unnecessarily is what got me so damn fat in the first place!

Lily
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 18:11

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi Lily,

Wow, I think your progress is incredible! About 5 pounds a month! Great job. It is really good to see some of the foods you are eating; your meals sound a lot more like mine. I am the fast food queen, though, although I try not to do it every day. Sometimes for breakfast I go to McDonalds drive-thru and get a side order of scrambled eggs and a side order of bacon. It only costs a little over a dollar that way!

Sandy
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 18:13

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default You're very strong Sandy!

I can't go near McDonalds before 10:30am or I'll end up with hash browns. I managed to throw them away last time I got a breakfast meal there, but it nearly killed me. Just THINKING about them makes my insulin bubble! Russ has the same problem with the french fries.

My hat is off to you!

MB
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 10:44
Arizona 215 lb Loser

BF:

I've uploaded "before" pictures. Just click on my "www" link below and you'll see what 400 lbs looks like! These were taken last December (2002) on my 20th wedding aniversary.

Of course, I'll upload new pictures after I've lost more weight!
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 19:22
Registered Member

Plan: LC after breakfast
Stats: 150/146/135 Female 5'5"
BF:yes I have it.
Progress: 27%

Hi all, I posted last night and it seems not to be here. so I'll assume I didn't do it right. My name is Nancy and I bought the SS books from HSN 2 years ago. gave up caffeine and quit the WOE after 5 days, SERIOUS headaches and bad taste in my mouth. I am 51 yrs old and boy it's tough getting older! I have chronic feet problems and can only swim in the summer or total gym for exercise. The #'s just creep up. Problem is I love bread and such and am not much of a meat eater. But it's been 8 days now and I feel much better. I am not gassy anymore! I still don't do a legal brreakfast, but I'll get there. Today we moved my son into an apt. at Rutgers U. and we went to IHOP after a day of working, (skipped lunch) I had a salad w/grilled chicken! NO PANCAKES Now, that's progress For those out of the USA, IHOP is International House of Pancakes Oh, last night I made linguine and clam sauce for my son and DH. and wondered what I would have, well took a zuchini and yellow squash ,peeled. shred , and steamed them , then put some clam sauce on them,,, GOOD. !!! Trying one day at a time :-)
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 19:29
Registered Member

Default stuffed peppers or cabbage

OH!! Now I can make stuffed peppers or stuffed cabbage with the califlower rice, Wow this is great!!!! Had them recently at a Hungarian Restuarant so good!!!! But what do I replace for the bread and butter LOL Nancy
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 06:40
Arizona 215 lb Loser

BF:

Sounds like you're doing good Nancy! It can take a while to get used to a new way of eating, especially after eating one way for so long. And it sure helps to learn how to prepare the right foods! For me, I keep eating the same things almost everyday and only my dinner varies much. Fortunately, I really like the things I'm eating so it's working for me

Keep at it Nancy! You'll be glad you did!
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 07:01
Registered Member

Default what's a daily menu like, Dean (and others)?

I'm curious , what works for you, what do you eat for daily that works for you? Dean, I'm like you I eat the same for breakfast and lunch most every day! I told you I'm not legal in the morning, so it's my usual- toast (roll or bagel half) and a bit of butter and unsweetened applesauce and coffee. Always. Lunch, I had been having a sandwich on whole wheat bread (pre -SS), now it's a salad w/tuna or chicken. Dinner, I'm working on, my DH is slim, has a physical job, eats like a horse, so I will be cooking differently for him and me. I liked what Davista said, (dieting, wanting to lose weight) "It's one thing off my mental to-do list," SO true!
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 19:16

Stats: 184/168/154 Female 5ft 8 in
BF:
Progress: 53%

My dad had his second stroke in less than 9 mos about 4 weeks ago. Although he's doing petty well, I realized that as a woman who had her kids late in life, I need to stay healthy and vital so I can be an influential a member in ther lives as my father has been in both my life, and their lives-so I need to be around and healthy. Both my parents have been excellent examples for me and my kids, and I wish to continue that legacy.

One legacy that I want to get ahold of for both me and my kids is the issue that my dad's side of the family has always had with sugar issues (both diabetes and hypoglycemia as well as heart disease). The docs actually drew a direct link to my dad's last stroke to his diabetes.

With my family history in mind, along with my desire to regain control of my weight after 10 years of childbirth and significant health related issues for each of my boys, it is time for ME to get back on the health wagon...

I tried the Atkins thing beginning in early August. I did that fairly well for about 2 weeks and then had a wierd, but significant negative physical response that scared the he*! out of me since it occurred while I was driving. From that day on, I realized that perhaps that plan was not for me.

I had researched Suzanne's program about 1 1/2 years ago, and even tried it half-heartedly. I guess I wasn't as committed then as I am now for a whole host of new reasons...

Since I began the LC WOE in early Aug, I have dropped almost 10 lbs. I find that the Somersizing is much more likely a WOE I can live with. It makes more sense in soo many aspects of my life, and has eliminated the negative physical reaction I had with the way low carb issues in Atkins.

I can have my FRUIT!!!

I CAN eat sooo many things, that I do not feel deprived!! This is 'doable' for me, and provides me with a positive way to break the cycle with my fathers' family legacy and make positive changes so I can be around, (strong and vital) for my boys as they come into the full lives they were blessed with.

Last edited by leener3boy : Fri, Sep-05-03 at 19:19.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 07:01
Arizona 215 lb Loser

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leener3boy
I CAN eat sooo many things, that I do not feel deprived!! This is 'doable' for me, and provides me with a positive way to break the cycle with my fathers' family legacy and make positive changes so I can be around, (strong and vital) for my boys as they come into the full lives they were blessed with.

Hey, way to go Leener3boy!!

That's why I love Somersizing too. It is very *doable*! And congratulations on your firm plan to break the cycle and be there for your boys. That's so great! And that's what I plan too!

Dean
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 07:17

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 175/154/135 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hi just dropping in to say hello. I got the Suzanne Somers book from the library and I'm confused and intrigued!! Sounds like you ALL are doing great with her plan. way to go!