Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 15:47

Plan: Self-Made LC
Stats: 255/129/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 120%
Thumbs up Joseph's Flax, Oat Bran & Whole Wheat Flour Pita Bread

OMG I found these in my local Stop & Shop in front of the deli counter, 6 loave package for $2.79.
They are full of Omega-3 and they taste amazing.

Joseph's Flax, Oat Bran & Whole Wheat Flour Pita Bread:
NO Trans Fats
NO Cholesterol
High Protein
Reduced Carb

1 Pita =
Calories: 60
Total Fat: 2 g
Sodium: 300mg
Total Carbs: 8g
Dietary Fiber: 4g
Protein: 6g

Nikki
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-13-06, 11:42

Plan: Atkins - modified
Stats: 218/190/180 Female 72
BF:
Progress:

I cut these into wide strips, toss with a little oil and seasoning and bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes. They make amazing chips! They are crisp, tasty and hold dips very well!

Enjoy.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-13-06, 13:50

BF:

Pegandpal

Thanks for the tip. I also use them as chips but I toast them on top of the stove burner and the crisp up in a matter of seconds.

I have a new 5-burner gas stove and I set them on top of the middle/large burner and watch carefully. Once the edges turn crisp I turn it over for another second or two and they are done. I learned that from a good Arabic friend who say's that's the only way they crips pita's.

I also make my own Hummus and they are great for dipping.

NYNikki

Last edited by NYNikki : Thu, Sep-14-06 at 07:21.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-20-06, 13:38
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I just bought some at Wall*Mart Delli, I decided to try one before they went in the freezer-- it was very good toasted. I plan to use them as pizza crusts.

The only fault I find with these LC breads is the sodium content as some are high, but I only eat one now and then.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-06, 09:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/99.0/102.0 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Joseph's RULES. Their pita bread and their tortillas are both excellent!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-06, 10:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/190/120 Female 5"1
BF:
Progress: 0%

Can these be purchased online and if so where? I haven't seen them in retail stores here yet. I would LOVE to have a gyro in a low carb pita....
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-22-06, 23:03
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

The Josephs pitas are amazing but I think you can only get them in the northeast. Josephs is a local company in MA. I have tried to get them online and I have yet to find a place but the pitas are amazing! I am dying to find a place that sells them online. Netrition doesnt sell bakery-type items.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-07, 12:34

Plan: Atkins/my own
Stats: 280/260/240 Male 77
BF:
Progress: 50%

After eating low carb/high protein on and off for about 3 years, I can honestly say that when the food industry tries to take a food rich in carbohydrates or sugar (pasta, chips, mashed potatoes, etc) and attempts a low carb substitute, its usually disgusting and insulting that they would think consumers (or consumers’ dogs) would eat whatever they’ve sold. The classic exception to this is usually ice cream.

However – of all the substitutes, the low carb industry has done well with tortillas and wraps, and this brand of wrap is by far the best. In fact, this wrap tastes so good, I’d rather eat this than the white flour version, based on taste alone. Think about how significant that statement is.

At any rate, they are very very hard to find. Almost all grocery stores in the New England area carry Joseph’s wraps, however they typically don’t carry the low carb version. Now that Atkins is filed chapter 11 (or at least took a huge nose dive financially due to the American public being a little cautious about eating super high saturated fat foods all day every day), the demand for good low carb food like this has declined dramatically, which is why you’re all having a tough time finding the product.

Strangely enough I’ve Googled every imaginable combination of the company’s name and location and cannot find their web site anywhere. You’d figure they’d want to market themselves on the web and therefore make some sort of profit, but perhaps they haven’t figured that out yet. I’ll head to the store in a bit and see if I can’t find a web site or contact info on their packaging.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-07, 12:49
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

I tried googling it too without success. From my time spent in boston I remember them being a small New England chain. I would still love to get my hands on these. Out in CA there is nothing.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-07, 17:02
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Here is some history on the company:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ob..._bread_company/

I am still getting them at Super Wal*Mart.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-10-07, 08:15

BF:

Oh man – as good as these wraps are, if it means I have to give money to Wal-Mart I think I’ll just order pizza instead.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-10-07, 15:27

Plan: Fat Flush Plan
Stats: 145/142/125 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs down Great ingredients until the sucralose

Well, I have been following a low carb diet, in fact for many years..just recently have I joined the Fat Flush Plan to support my husbands weight loss. I am not only a low carb dieter, but I watch additives they sneak into food. One of the additives I am completely against is the use of Sucralose (splenda) in foods. I was excited when I found Joseph's Pita Bread, but I didn't read the label close enough before I bought it. The second to last ingredient is sucralose. I wish they were required to label the front of the packages if they are using an artificial sweetener. So I tossed the rest of the pitas in the trash..too bad..because it tasted pretty good.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-07, 09:55

BF:

Well, if it’s the next to last ingredient it means there is very little in the product, correct (as opposed to appearing higher in the list)? I’m not sure how long I could go without splenda, but is there a difference in terms of what should be avoided more (splenda vs equal vs whatever?). I avoid pure sugar which is so ridiculously unnecessary and health-affecting.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-07, 12:44
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

Splenda is usually on the bottom of anything no matter how much of it is used because it is a high intensity sweetener. For example, if you look at a candy bar sweetened with splenda you will still see splenda on the bottom of the list. In the case of the pitas, they arent sweet, so there is probably just a touch to balance out the flavors.

Of course I have no problems with splenda and do eat products sweetened with it when I have a craving.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-07, 16:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by holistiche
I am not only a low carb dieter, but I watch additives they sneak into food. One of the additives I am completely against is the use of Sucralose (splenda) in foods. I was excited when I found Joseph’s Pita Bread, but I didn't read the label close enough before I bought it. The second to last ingredient is sucralose. I wish they were required to label the front of the packages if they are using an artificial sweetener. So I tossed the rest of the pitas in the trash..too bad..because it tasted pretty good.

Perhaps the other type of Joseph's Pita 's do contain suralose but the Flax, Oat Bran & Whole Wheat pitas do NOT.

Actually, I haven't been able to find them in my local store since I last wrote this post. Maybe they re-invented this product and added it recently but the package I bought last did not contain it. I would have noticed if I missed it on the 'tiny' print labeling as I am deathly allergic to artificial sweeteners INCLUDING Splenda.

*holistiche*, I want to applaud you in your personal crusade against using additives. I also am against it not only in the foods we eat but the crap that is found in supplements and over the counter remedies. Some people are unfamiliar with the word sucralose or the many 'other' names associated with this one 'chemical'. People aren't even aware it's a chemical nor the common names for harmful additives - it's all so well hidden from the everyday consumer.