Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 10:34
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 173/166/150 Female 5.8" or 1,73 m
BF:
Progress: 30%
Question Dreamfields Pasta.....

Weight Management
Hi folks,

This just in from my favorite store Wegmans....

I'd be interested in your opinion, because of the things I miss most it's definitely pasta!!! I am no crack with the glycemic stuff and 42g of carbs sounds like a boat load.....

Let me know what you think.

Tash

Pasta to Dream About
Dreamfields, new in our diet food section, hopes to bring dieters back to pasta. It's certainly not low in carbohydrates with 42 grams per serving. Yet it claims "5 grams digestible carbs." What does that mean?
Net Carbs versus Glycemic Index
Whereas 'net carbs' are the result of a simple calculation subtracting fiber from total carbs, Dreamfields was tested in real people to see how quickly blood sugar rises (called glycemic index). Today's popular diets promise that a slower rise in blood sugar will reduce insulin production, hunger and weight gain. Though the calorie level is similar, a serving of Dreamfields raises blood sugar only 25% as much as a similar serving of regular pasta. And that makes it a fine choice for someone seeking better carbs as a way to eat less at this meal and the next. Yet, I caution anyone who takes insulin to talk with their diabetes educator before using this product
Great Pasta Taste
Dreamfields has a classic pasta taste. Other low carb pastas are rich in soy protein, have a gummy texture and leave an aftertaste. The fiber coating slows down digestion while making Dreamfields slide around on your fork. Try it and let me know what you think!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 11:23
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I bought a box of Dreamfield's Penne Rigate last night as Super Wal-Mart. I saw the 5 g digestible carbs on the front of the box, it looked very much like "real" pasta, and it was only $1.98. So, I put it in the cart without even reading the rest of the box.

Now, I see each serving has 190 calories with 42 g total carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, and 1 g sugar. The "Carb Facts" on the box says there are 37 g of "Controlled Carbs," leaving a "Net digestible Carbs" of 5 g per serving. But, what are these controlled carbs? The box says it's made of "quality durum wheat semolina, but with only 5 grams of digestible carbohydrates". Why would wheat semonlina be low carb and also low fiber? Sorbitol is an ingredient, but it's way down on the list, third item from the bottom. So, I doubt that a serving has 33 g of sugar alcohols. The box also says that the product "has been clinically tested to establish disgestible carbohydrate levels".

What's going on here is a mystery to me--although if the digestible carbs count is true, it would certainly be great.

I'm going to give this a try with a half serving or so. I'm a type 2 diabetic who controls my blood sugar by low carbing and exercise alone. I should be able to tell roughly how many digestible carbs are really in this by how much it raises my blood sugar 1, 2, and 3 hours after eating. It's worth a try.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 11:32
Getting Healthy!

BF:

I found this link to the Dreamfields's website whcih explains why the pasta is low in digestible carbs. I hope this is not too good to be true.

http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.com/healthyfaqs.html

Last edited by CarolynC : Mon, Apr-05-04 at 12:16.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 08:35
Getting Healthy!

BF:

I've now tried the Dreamfield's pasta twice. it takes great--just like regular pasta.

I'm a type 2 diabetic and I've taken my blood sugar at 30 minute intervals after eating the pasta. It's effect on my blood sugar is low. Within two hours after eating Dreamfield's pasta, my blood sugar is back to what it was before eating. At least for me, my blood sugar readings indicate that the "5 grams digestible carbs" listed on the Dreamfield's box is accurate.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 10:08
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 173/166/150 Female 5.8" or 1,73 m
BF:
Progress: 30%

neato. maybe now I have to try this as well....
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-04, 08:09
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 241/220/140
BF:
Progress: 21%

Carolyn C thanks for your research with the Dreamfields product. I went looking last nite on there website and couldn't find anything. It's made by Dakota Growers pasta co. I'm severe Hypoglycemic and have not had real pasta in 15 years . But I tried atkins and it was so gross. I think I'm going to try this.

Ess
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-04, 08:25
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 241/220/140
BF:
Progress: 21%

Great website Carolyn. I tried to find this website for 2 hours last nite . Thanks
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 09:42

Plan: adkins
Stats: 157.5/133.0/135 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 109%

tried it last night. It tasted like real pasta! I hope the claims
are true!

got it in kroger

sandy
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 11:24

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 238/209/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Smile

I ordered it on line this weekend, and I can hardly wait to get it. Can anyone say vodka noodles.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 17:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/178/140 Female 5ft.3in.
BF:
Progress: 19%

I have gestational diabetes and my hubby is a low carber. This pasta is great and did not raise my blood sugar either. Early in my pregnancy I ate regular pasta (1/2 cup of it--which is not much) and my blood sugar was 147 after 2 hours. I ate twice that much of the Dreamfield's pasta and my blood sugar was 97 after 2 hours. So, I don't know how they figure the net carbs but I'm taking their word for it. I figure it is safe to feed to my husband as well.

Rhonda
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 08:58
Registered Member

Plan: atkins,protein power
Stats: 134/118/110 Female 63
BF:
Progress:

Thanks so much for the testing reports on this product. I've tried both the macaroni & spaghetti. I haven't experienced any problems(no weight gain, bloating ect) w/them, but your blood sugar testing is the real test! I've seen reviews on other forums & only one person reported a substantial rise in their testing, however they didn't say what kind of sauce they used. I made a lemon cream sauce last nite and it was awsome!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 11:42

Stats: 210/150/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 92%

Just bought some at Kroger, can't wait to try it!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 11:46

Stats: 247/220/150 Female 5'5
BF:Getting better
Progress: 28%

VEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY yummy but I need to limit this to a once in a while treat. I can't keep myself to a single portion.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 12:11

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 172/134/122 Female 5'1 and 1/2
BF:
Progress: 76%

Wow..ultra yum!!! Tried the spaghetti last night and it tasted just like regular pasta. Felt as though I was cheating big time. I was really surprised when I stepped on the scale this morining and my weight was down by at least a pound! I don't know how much I ate of it but I was pretty full.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 08:01

Stats: 210/150/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 92%

Yes this stuff is GREAT! VERY YUMMY!