Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-16, 12:41

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncgirl2
I gave them up after the whole, 'change' - mostly because of my profound disappointment in how they handled it (if I were still in school, I'd do a case study on that!). I went back to Pure Protein bars, and I'm happier and slightly less poor!

Would love more info! (Sorry for two posts, don't know how to multiquote)
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-16, 13:27

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Pure Protein also at Walmart, Target, etc. $6.98?
I must have a cast iron stomach...no issues...except I ate the whole thing and could easily eat one a day since they are now in the house.
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-16, 15:05

Plan: don't know!
Stats: 150/150/115
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemice
Would love more info! (Sorry for two posts, don't know how to multiquote)

What information would you like? I was just disappointed in their reaction to their customers in terms of the change (early suggestions were to only eat half a bar, that they weren't changing back, etc....if you go to their FB page and are willing to scroll through comments to about 6 months ago!). Then they offered two free 'newer' bars (after they did change their formula again based on responses) - I took them up on it, but apparently they sent one of the older bars, because it was inedible.
They also continued to sell the newer-older bars after they introduced newer-newer bars, but couldn't tell consumers which version they were purchasing - so for people who purchased them by the case, they had no idea if they were getting the newer-older bars or the newer-newer bars.
To their credit, they did offer refunds. It was a mess - I finally just stopped trying, switched back to Pure Protein, and haven't looked back (even at their FB page!).
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-16, 15:38

BF:

Oh, I was just wondering what they changed in terms of formulating the bar itself - are the newer ones supposed to be "cleaner"? What were the complaints about the older formula? I wonder if the older bars were just so stale they were tough, but yeah, that's not a good way to assure customers of the value of your product.
I'll try looking at the Facebook page, but if you don't have a Facebook account, they block part of the page and it's a pain. (Facebook, that won't make me sign up, until you respect our privacy)
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-16, 16:18

BF:

Quote:
Oh, I was just wondering what they changed in terms of formulating the bar itself - are the newer ones supposed to be "cleaner"? What were the complaints about the older formula? I wonder if the older bars were just so stale they were tough, but yeah, that's not a good way to assure customers of the value of your product.
I'll try looking at the Facebook page, but if you don't have a Facebook account, they block part of the page and it's a pain. (Facebook, that won't make me sign up, until you respect our privacy)

Oh - they switched to corn fiber (one of the posts I read said in August 2015) which upset a lot of people (I didn't particularly care about the ingredient, itself). The newer-older bars were extremely hard, gritty, and seemed almost like they were coated in flour (which I guess was he corn fiber) - and to me, they had no flavor.
I've heard the newer-newer are much better, but I just can't support the company.
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-16, 11:52

BF:

Oh, okay, thanks. I like almost all that I've tried, but mostly just get the chocolate varieties. Except the choc/peanut butter, it's off-tasting sludge. Bleargh. Sometime I'll have to get off my rear and do a real blood sugar test.
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-16, 14:21

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 184.4/134.6/135 Female 5'3"
BF:32.8/23.9
Progress: 101%

My two cents? I started eating them and stalled for 34 days. Stopped eating them and lo and behold my weight dropped like a stone. Hmmm connection? For me, yes. Good luck with them. I do not understand eating Frankenfood when you are encouraged to eat such wonderful, natural, fresh protein packed foods.
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-16, 15:39

BF:

Well, not sure if you're addressing me, but I do eat plenty of wonderful, natural, fresh protein (and fat!) packed foods, often paying several hundred a month for said food for two people.
However, I'm human and like to have a treat option that doesn't involve yet more preparation over the vast amount of cooking that I already do. Maybe they're not ideal, but they keep me off of Hershey bars, etc. (I don't like dark chocolate).
Some of us here are purists and like to avoid anything processed at all, and that's fine, but others are willing to make a few concessions for whatever reason. I drink diet soda too and there's a lot of disdain for that as well at times.
Your stall and weight drop I would guess might be to the issue I raised, that they have a lot of fiber.
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-16, 16:10

BF:

Quote:
Well, not sure if you're addressing me, but I do eat plenty of wonderful, natural, fresh protein (and fat!) packed foods, often paying several hundred a month for said food for two people.
However, I'm human and like to have a treat option that doesn't involve yet more preparation over the vast amount of cooking that I already do. Maybe they're not ideal, but they keep me off of Hershey bars, etc. (I don't like dark chocolate).
Some of us here are purists and like to avoid anything processed at all, and that's fine, but others are willing to make a few concessions for whatever reason. I drink diet soda too and there's a lot of disdain for that as well at times.
Your stall and weight drop I would guess might be to the issue I raised, that they have a lot of fiber.

Agreed (from a fellow diet soda drinker!)!!
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-16, 03:38

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Also good for travel, with more trips this summer coming up, bought a box, now out of line of sight.
In addition to finding them in Wallyworld, I saw them last month in one of those regular airport news/snack food outlets. There was a section of many LC bars, inc. pure protein and Quest, paleo something, Epic, etc. I usually don't go into those so it may have been two years, but was surprised by the many choices that may not be perfect, but will do on a plane...if you don't mind dropping $4 a bar.
The Quest protein powder in chocolate is tasty if you can use whey and casein, at 4g carb, 2g fiber.

Later edit after a trip to Costco The very first item in the front display area, first thing seen entering the store, was box of 18 Pure Protein bars, with $4 off coupon this month, or $12.99. I think they are very sweet, more like dessert than a Quest meal replacement.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Jul-11-16 at 11:11.